PDA

View Full Version : How was it for you? B.E. Aptitudes phase 1

charles_auty
21st Nov 2001, 00:54
Just a quick message to ask how everyone else got on today at Cabair? I found the maths okay - apart from the long division questions, physics bearable( except for resistors in series and specific heat calculations) aural maths I thought went quite well, and mechanical reasoning was stressful - quite difficult to see what was going on in some of the questions! It was nice to meet up with like minded people as well - hello to everyone I met!

Good luck everyone -hopefully see you all again soon!

Charlie Boy

captainbirdseye
21st Nov 2001, 01:05
CB

Yeah the tests were OK, Maths was was alright, physics tough, aural maths good and mechanical reasoning was good.
Thought the so called "test conditions" were a joke, everyone was looking at everyone else's answers! Other than that it was an easy £ 5000 for the boys at Cabair.
Well this is the last sponsorship for a while I guess, so if I don't see you on the flight deck - see you at Burger King!

CBE

Flying Doctor
21st Nov 2001, 01:30
Hello chaps

Feel much the same, except the physics was v tough for me (didn't revise those formulae!). I think I must be too old.

Good fun, but I don't think I will be seeing you guys for a while, unless you need patching up in A + E!!

FD

Sagey
21st Nov 2001, 02:19
Maths so so I guess, the odd probable cock up.

Physic yikes, I thought it was meant to be an aptitute test not a who knows everything about Physics!!!!! I looked at GCSE questions before and none of them were like that :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . Everyone I spoke to hated the Physics, even those with A level Physics!!!!. Mind u I only have me GCSE lol

Aural maths ok, mechanics well half the time I found it impossible to notice the difference on those tiny diagrams.

Not very hopeful

Sagey

[ 23 November 2001: Message edited by: Sagey ]

skysoarer
22nd Nov 2001, 03:47
Well I think I know what letter I'm gonna get tomorrow ... but I do have my fingers crossed as it seems that many others and you guys had the same troubles.

i.e. Physics - Bad ... some of it was stuff I did at A-level not GCSE... Syllabus changing?
Maths (not aural) - Alright.

Others - Fine ... some the same or similar to last year.

I really really would like to get to Phase 3 but I have that nasty feeling that those who are gonna get through did their GCSE's last summer!

Regards;

Sky

King Kenny
22nd Nov 2001, 14:32
Hi,

I have to agree with everone above. I found the physics extremely hard, even after doing it to a lot higher standard than GCSE. Best of luck to you all and I think it will be worth it in the long run. :rolleyes:

Laters

JT8
22nd Nov 2001, 16:37
Yup, physics was a nightmare. Pity because the rest was ok, apart from some unclear diagrams in the mechanical paper.

Back to the drawing board I guess :(
JT8

OnCentreLine
22nd Nov 2001, 17:41
Hi,

It was the first time I attended aptitude tests and therefore definitely a good experience.
The first task was to find the place on public transport.....got there in the end!
The maths paper was not a problem, nor was the aural maths one.
I had difficulties with Physics but to be honest I should have revised more. Didn't expect to be tested on various formulas.
As for mechanical comprehension, the diagrams were quite hard to make out- it felt like multiple guessing rather than multiple choice to me.

I am waiting for the letter to arrive although I am almost certain that I won't get through to the next stage.

Good luck to all of you!!

Kind regards,
OCL

Topper187
23rd Nov 2001, 23:40
So apparantly the results are in the post. So did any body get through apart from those with a PHD in physics???

charles_auty
24th Nov 2001, 01:31
Yes! Got my invite today - very pleased -looks like I'll be meeting up with all those PHD guys after all! Does anyone have any info on the PApt test? I have been to GAPAN/Cranwell and got a good result - I'm hoping the Cabair test will be similar!

Good luck everyone!

Charlie Boy

JT8
24th Nov 2001, 02:51
CB you lucky ******!! Well done and good luck at the next phase mate :D !! Don't think I'll be joining you though :(

Sagey
24th Nov 2001, 12:31
Well I got the rejection letter this morning :(

No real surprise I guess, it was first time I sat aptitute tests and wasn't prepared for the Physics and probably need practice on working out small drawings.

Unfortunately feedback not given.

Best wishes to those that made it through to round 3.

Bad luck to those in my position, it is a case of learning from such experiences and hopefully rectifying them in the future.

Sagey

VTOL
24th Nov 2001, 16:11
CB, guess I might be seeing you there...

I got a very welcome letter yesterday (and no I don't have a Phd in physics either...)

The pilapt test (if it's the same one as I did last year for the A2k selection consits of a series of co-ordination and spatial orientation tests. You do each test 3 (?) times and what they're loooking for is improvement in your scores. The Morrisby tests are fairly standard personality profiling tests. Find out more at: http://www.morrisby.co.uk/

Hope this helps,
Good luck,
VTOL

:D

charles_auty
25th Nov 2001, 16:21
Cheers for that -I'll check it out now!

Charlie Boy

Guy Bowen
26th Nov 2001, 05:15
Sadly not this time; well done to all who did.... perhaps you should think again about becoming pilots as you would all make much more money being Physics Professors!

skysoarer
29th Nov 2001, 04:14
Oh come on those diagrams wern't that bad in the mech comp paper! Ok they wern't great but there was just enough to make out and make a pseudo-educated-guess...

No I don't have a PHD in Maths or Physics but I do have A-levels ... and I did get an invite to Phase 3 SomehoW... :confused: !

BUT ... can anybody shed any light on this interview lark. i.e. questions asked and particularly what the heck "various technical aspects" means!!!

Any help/advice very much appreciated, especially from applicants who applied last yesr. If you can help please email direct if possible to [email protected] .

Many thanks in advance;

Sky

flying high
30th Nov 2001, 15:39
hi everyone, pleased to hear some people managed to get some good news! I have also been invited back which was a great surprise!

anybody that is going back for phase 3, have you all got your class 1 medicals?? and do you know how many have been invited back?

good luck to everyone and keep trying!

skysoarer
1st Dec 2001, 04:34
Yep ... have had a Class 1 since July. So I shall see you there Flyhigh. BTW I would guess that there are around 25-30 attending Phase 3 which would be narrowed down to around 12 for Phase 4.

Regards;

Sky