PDA

View Full Version : Have you lost your aircraft recently?

sms777
9th Jul 2014, 06:32
Just heard part of the news that police are all over an aircraft at Wollongong Airport. Landed about a week ago and has been abandoned.

500N
9th Jul 2014, 06:44
Details and photos. Possible drugs and organised crime ?

Police raid plane at Albion Park (http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/police-raid-plane-at-albion-park-20140709-zt1ff.html)

JohnMcGhie
9th Jul 2014, 06:46
Police raid plane at Albion Park airport | Illawarra Mercury (http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2406016/police-raid-plane-at-albion-park-airport/?cs=298)

kingRB
9th Jul 2014, 08:40
Merlin going cheap? I'll take it!!

mcoates
9th Jul 2014, 08:56
mmm... I cant see them wearing a single ASIC

Skystar320
9th Jul 2014, 10:05
mmm... I cant see them wearing a single ASIC

comment of the year!

bankrunner
9th Jul 2014, 10:50
No high vis either :E

Jabawocky
9th Jul 2014, 21:49
Dr Oakie, it was ferried to PH and left there. So the map showing it DCT to doffs is misleading. It has possibly been VFR to all sorts of places and not shown up on Flight Aware.

What happened after the ferry flight was completed ….who knows.

Be funny if the cops only took 35kg of interior insulation out…..:} Although you have to wonder, that is a lot of police attention for nothing.

Kulwin Park
10th Jul 2014, 00:22
Man, that last flight from PH to Oz flew longer than MH370 !! Good fuel range in those Merlins then. Wow, KP.

peterc005
10th Jul 2014, 00:44
Surprised a group of Lebo drug dealers were sophisticated and organised enough to try something like this.

Wonder if it was heroin, ice or cocaine?

Jabawocky
10th Jul 2014, 01:45
Hey Leafie, you must have a really good network of friends……I am not a Bookfacer so I have no friends :{

But the ferry job was IFR to PH and after that I have no idea, that was all that I can tell from FA website and the available info on the Ferry.

How do you get to Coffs in a Merlin in one leg :confused:

I am sure there is a good explanation for it all somewhere.

Kharon
10th Jul 2014, 02:48
550 pph 4343 Lb FOB = @ F200 = 7.8 hours :: Safe 7.0 hours (420 minutes) @ 264 TAS = 1848 nms ROA ~ Nil wind. D= 1902 (-1848) = 54 nms short. WC + 10 knots GS 272 = 1904 nms ROA. Give it a ferry tank and 20 knots of tailwind, F250 Perth – Coffs (West to East) – piece of cake. Good axe is the Merlin...

Pinky the pilot
10th Jul 2014, 03:19
An identity who has featured on this very forum regularly in the past was mentioned by name on the ABC news a moment ago as a leader of the consortium that owns the thing...

Aha! The plot thickens.:ooh:

I detect an interesting story here.:hmm:

David75
10th Jul 2014, 03:33
Every time I see this sort of thing I'm left wondering if the aircraft use is to support the alleged drugs or the alleged drugs are to support the aircraft addiction.

Propstop
10th Jul 2014, 03:41
Either way both are VERY expensive to maintain.

Andy_RR
10th Jul 2014, 04:18
Surprised a group of Lebo drug dealers were sophisticated and organised enough to try something like this.

Wonder if it was heroin, ice or cocaine?

No FKI on these aircraft then...?

Brian Abraham
10th Jul 2014, 04:33
Couple of news reports

Journey of plane raided near Wollongong 'revealed by social media' - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-10/mystery-surrounds-raided-plane-at-albion-park/5587046)

Police raid US-registered plane at airport south of Wollongong, no record of flight entering Australia - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-09/police-raid-plane-that-mysteriously-turned-up-at-albion-park/5584878)

Andy_RR
10th Jul 2014, 04:52
Wow, there's some quality journalism from our taxpayer-funded ABC! Top value for money on display!

PS: when can I take my Instrumental Flight rating?

500N
10th Jul 2014, 04:52
So they are saying the aircraft flew more than half way across Australia
and landed without being noticed or just without clearing customs ?

Jabawocky
10th Jul 2014, 08:21
I reckon it has been in Broome or somewhere or Darwin and cleared customs. I doubt that it just arrived in WOL, but it could have been full of anything and customs either missed it or were told to miss it so the cops could track it some more.

There will be more to this than the ABC can figure out from a few google searches.

Either that or it is a complete stuff up of a spectacular nature.

Jabawocky
10th Jul 2014, 12:23
I think this settles who flew where.

What happened after the ferry to the Philippines is the owners problem.

News | Snow Goose International (http://snowgooseinternational.com/News/)

Jabawocky
10th Jul 2014, 22:18
Leafie,

You are a reasonable bloke, and I know you know a bit about such a trip :E, but trust me mate, the ferry pilot is not a dill, and knows a thing or two about flying turbines across water. As you well know….he spent most of his carer flying fighters off aircraft carriers, active duty and returning or diverting due fuel range. You know this too.

Your assertion above is bordering on libellous and I think it warrants retracting. := I was in contact with the ferry pilot at the time, he told me of the winds problem while sitting in CA waiting to go. In the end he just said bugger it I can go the long way. So he did.

The fact of the matter is the end customer turns out to be of interest to the police and is possibly the one arrested.

This has nothing to do with the ferry pilot, who is as honest and upstanding as they come. He may have been too trusting in the quality of his client, but that is not a crime. In fact I bet we have all trusted someone who turned out to be a dodgy crooked businessman or a criminal. I have experienced both and they are hard to pick at first.

Jabawocky
10th Jul 2014, 22:59
By the way….one thing we teach VERY STRONGLY in the APS classes is about the critical importance of running a tank dry from time to time.

We do note turbines are an exception as the restart is not the same deal…so hold up on that. (We teach piston guys).

The point is, you may install a 296USG bladder tank in the back, but you only think it is 296USG….you do not KNOW if it will be.

Given the actual winds, the actual weights the ACTUAL not book performance….if that flight had been taken there would have been a much bigger thread running a month back. :uhoh:

Everyone would be speculating it was Ray Clamback again :} (no disrespect to Ray)

kimwestt
11th Jul 2014, 00:28
Was that -3's or -10's looks like -3's to me with 3 bladers.
Cheers

Subversive1
11th Jul 2014, 08:11
Kimwest, they are Dash 3s.

Jaba, I respect your views, but I dont see that inference in Leafy's post either.

It appears well established that the ferry pilot and company had nothing to do with any wrongdoing and are not under investigation.

The aircraft sat in the Philipines for some time after the ferry contract was terminated and the ferry pilot departed for home.

Kooka
11th Jul 2014, 09:00
The aircraft had a 296USG ferry tank installed at Tracy CA according to the 337 form (record of major repair or alteration) which you can access through the FAA website.

That would give it a range of about 3400nm.

Headwinds to strong to get to KHNL direct? Really?
I know buggar all about Merlins but I know enough about ferrying to know that 296 US gallons ain't going to give it or anything like it 3400nm range. That thing would require close attention to HW component to make it to PHNL from the West Coast.

Jabawocky
11th Jul 2014, 10:56
Inference is subtle and not intended.

But the ABC and Nine news were getting qualified info from this thread and they had already assumed the ferry pilot flew it to Oz.

So suggesting the tank etc should have meant a DCT route implied there was some possible agenda for the long way and via PH.

Maybe I am aware of some behind the scenes misunderstanding by others ;)

And the post by Leafie was not helping with the facts.....and Leafie and I know each other and it was not just a massive slag at Leaffie. But in the case of him being no comms for a while ;) it was best to squash any chance of media misrepresentations.

Don't ya love dealing with this BS. Sorry the rest of the regulars did not get what was going on. :ok:

So has anyone any idea why the aircraft owner has been such interest to the wallopers?

Jabawocky
11th Jul 2014, 20:16
Personal attack? What the? The only one copping it was the unintended victim mate. Maybe this was not apparent to you.

I think turbo prop lag is getting to you;)

Jabawocky
11th Jul 2014, 20:31
Kooka

I am siting next to (a ferry bloke) and we are going through the numbers... again.

The Merlin can lift 4354 lbs

Ferry tank 296 USG @ 6.7lb/USG = 1802 lb

Total FOB = 6156 lb

Assuming it has -10s, at 500lb/hour = 12.31 hours endurance

How fast is a Merlin? 270 kts? 12.31 x 270 = 3324nm.

It is entirely possible that the headwinds were very strong - and it was DB's decision to go/not go - but a 50kt headwind/220kt GS still gives a flight time of 9.5 hours.

Leafie, would you mind telling us who the ferry bloke is, just for future reference ?

I admit I am out of my depth here, never touched a Merlin and have only seen one once from a distance at BK but the back of beer coaster calculations your mate is doing is a long way from reality.

I did not write the numbers down but memory tells me that the actual performance is something like 10%+ more fuel burn, a lot lower TAS due weight and height vs winds, and the winds were a bit stronger than typical at the available levels. I remember thinking at the time this should do it but it would not or not with legal and prudent margins.

Like I said, the guy flying it spent most his life flying on the water. He has even had a swim after a false shot so he probably does not want to do it again with no helo and medical team only seconds away.

You be careful out there mate, we don't want any threads featuring the Leafblower!:ok:

Horatio Leafblower
11th Jul 2014, 20:36
Leafie, would you mind telling us who the ferry bloke is, just for future reference ?

Oh yeah. Sure thing. I am comfortable with his numbers. :rolleyes:

Over & out. :mad:

Kharon
11th Jul 2014, 23:18
KW "Was that -3's or -10's looks like -3's to me with 3 bladers.

This seems to be the crux of the performance argument, both have (had) three blade props.. Looking back at old PFR the – TPE 331-3 (three blades) was comfortable at 245/250 range TAS, averaged 560 pph in the F17 – F200 range; with the TPE 331-10 the TAS was higher 265 (ish) for about the same FBO. The big advantage of the -10 was to be able to kick it up over the F200 barrier and stay out of the icing layers. The -3 engines ran out of puff and with the engine anti ice on, descent was often the only answer to ice.

One of the turbine operating norms is the control of SGR, by selecting the TAS, Flow and Altitude to best suit the weather conditions. For example LRC @ A100 TAS 232 Flow 610 v F200 TAS 242 Flow 510. The 'Mark' of the Merlin engine doesn't matter if you use SGR for planning, as you decide the Flow and accept the TAS; or select a TAS and accept the Flow; it depends on the day and what you need to achieve. This does not apply for chuffing about the place on short 2/ 300 miles sectors, unless you are load critical, then it's handy.

On long flights, effective TAS needs to be considered; say you were looking at heading West, with a big NW wind; the 'crosswind' component reduces your effective TAS, however it can be advantageous to go high if the wind is nearly at a constant negative 'value' (TAS v ETAS v Flow); increased TAS, decreased burn off; but you do need to evaluate which is the 'best' height for the job. One of the great thing about the Merlin is the speed range at 'low' level; set up 600 pph @ A100 and watch the speed, same at F150 same flow better TAS, but knock the flow down to 550 or even 500 and the speed will not diminish greatly (weight). With minimum fuel and maximum payloads, the SGR becomes important.

Looking at HLB figures I'd say, without knowing the aircraft they are a little light on; 260 to 270 is about 10-15 knots over the odds for the average -3 and in ferry configuration (weight) at F200 a 500 pph flow seems a little low, but not too much, perhaps it's a fast ship. For average – 3 Merlin (MGW) planning 245 knots 600 pph F 200 is as safe as houses, too much above 200 and the TAS slides away simply for lack of power, so it all depends on the demon wind. But full tanks + 269 USG would be enough and Snowgoose is no goose.... Just saying...

Old Akro
12th Jul 2014, 00:57
I think we've strayed a bit from the path.

It seems that the aircraft was legitimately ferried from the US to the Philippines. This leg seems to be well documented and understood.

The Alaska - Philippines leg may have required long range tanks. Once it got to the Philippines it could go anywhere in Asia (including Australia) on standard tanks. An ex Airline captain I know owns one in Thailand. He flies it to Melb twice a year to visit the grandkids with (from memory) 1 fuel stop.

At the Philippines it was handed to a new owner whose identity is unknown and (presumably) the ferry company took business class airfares back to the USA with their ferry tank tucked under their arm.

The leg from Philippines to Woollongong seems to be the mystery. The port of entry into Australia is not known to us, nor the route to the 'gong. Nor why you'd use a freakin Merlin III for 35 lousy kilograms of drugs. Let alone why you'd choose to unload them in Woollongong rather than Upper Kumbuckta West.

I would have thought that if the Merlin III was intended for drug running you'd put 350kg of drugs in it - not 35 kg and land & unload it somewhere remote.

truthinbeer
12th Jul 2014, 02:45
Old Akro (http://www.pprune.org/members/133764-old-akro) I would have thought that if the Merlin III was intended for drug running you'd put 350kg of drugs in it - not 35 kg and land & unload it somewhere remote.

My thoughts would be that some 300+kg of drugs was offloaded somewhere, even at Wollongong, but they were disturbed in the act and this is what was hurriedly left behind. Or perhaps the remaining 35kg was kept for personal use. ;)

YIPYIO
12th Jul 2014, 05:40
One of the players in this rather sordid little saga has quite a bit of form. BS has a long term association with Wollongong and has also been involved in the movement of aircraft in the past.
:=

desmotronic
12th Jul 2014, 07:05
Interesting story. 35kg of smack is still a lot of money maybe $10 mill on the street.

thorn bird
12th Jul 2014, 07:41
Ten Mil???
always wondered how that guy with the beard and white dress, who looks around eighteen, could afford a brand new Ferrari.

Trips over his dress getting in and out of it but, always good for a laugh.

27/09
12th Jul 2014, 08:28
Off topic a little, but this story reminds me of a Baron that got "stuck" this side of the Tasman a few years ago after making a "freight run" from Oz.

Not sure what ever happened to it in the end, I don't think the owner even knew it was on an international flight till very very late in the piece, though to be fair I don't think it officially left Oz. Some young gun had hired it for a weekend trip away.

Desert Flower
12th Jul 2014, 08:56
I haven't LOST my aircraft, but I keep getting text messages from some mob asking me if I want to SELL my aircraft. I don't even OWN one!

DF.

TwoFiftyBelowTen
12th Jul 2014, 09:05
I'm not all that clever, but I was able to find that it was SZB-PHE 21/06.... maybe VFR after that... Must have left PHE and arrived CFS after (TWR) hours....

sms777
12th Jul 2014, 09:17
Funny you say that DF.
I have sold my aircraft 10 years ago but still getting invoices from airports around Aus for landing and parking charges.
Further to the plot, I don't think they would have removed 35kg of drugs. Rather 35kg of inside material to refer for further testing for drug residue.
Anyways it's rather quiet in the western front about it. I am getting awfully suspecious about what is going on in this matter.

Pinky the pilot
12th Jul 2014, 09:33
I have sold my aircraft 10 years ago but still getting invoices from airports around Aus for landing and parking charges.

What? the old Queenair??:eek: Is it still going?:ooh:

Still wish that I had been able to fly the example that sat in the Douglas maintenance hangar in Moresby the whole time I was there. (1990) Never came out of the major inspection.:sad:

sms777
12th Jul 2014, 09:52
Sorry Pinky, It still brings tears to my eyes to hear her fate. Last time i have heard she was getting pulled apart at Caloundra to keep another one going. :{

Pinky the pilot
12th Jul 2014, 11:13
Last time i have heard she was getting pulled apart at Caloundra to keep another one going.

Bummer!!:ugh: Still remember the grand sound she made at T/O revs as she went over my unit at YPLC around 2am all those years ago.:ooh:

Also remember the chats we had in the *** office there on some of those late nights where I was still on duty.:ok:

Desert Flower
12th Jul 2014, 22:42
Still remember the grand sound she made at T/O revs

I miss the sound of the old Queenies, as well as C404's & C421's. :{

DF.

MakeItHappenCaptain
12th Jul 2014, 23:43
Well you're in luck, the Straight 65 at CDR is alive and well.:ok:

Pretty sure I spotted a twin Bonza at SBK a week or two ago, status unknown.

Horatio Leafblower
13th Jul 2014, 07:58
Pretty sure I spotted a twin Bonza at SBK a week or two ago

Sherbrook? On the north coast of NSW?

...or YSBK in Sydney?

:mad:

sms777
13th Jul 2014, 09:50
I bet the straight 65 is VH-FDV. The bastard probably has my old brand new engines out of my old Queenie.....:{
Anyways.... How about the Merlin that flew all 350kg of medicine on a mercy flight from the Phillipines for MEOC. Drugs?....What drugs!....:E

Wunwing
17th Jul 2014, 08:19
Moving back towards the original thread.

I suspect it was mid 80s, but there was quite a nice Australian owned Cessna twin siezed in DPS with large amount of drugs hidden under the trim.The pilot was based at Bankstown and had done a number of runs with young pilots with new licenses to help fly on the "holiday" trip to Bankok.I later flew with one of them who insisted that he knew and saw nothing on his holiday

I seem to remember that the pilot ended up escaping Bali and somehow making it home but was later caught doing the run again but it was along time ago and I may be wrong about the pilot history. I do know that the aircraft sat at DPS for many years and eventually ended up as an apprentice trainer for the local AME school.

At that time we regularly saw unlit aircraft in the moonlight heading south over the Timor Sea and into Central Australia from out 35,000 lookout. Its a big country and I'm sure lots happens out there even now.

Wunwing

Pinky the pilot
17th Jul 2014, 09:08
At that time we regularly saw unlit aircraft in the moonlight heading south over the Timor Sea and into Central Australia from out 35,000 lookout. Its a big country and I'm sure lots happens out there even now.

Who remembers the incident back in the 70's of the virtually brand new Shrike Commander that was intercepted by a RAAF Hercules (I think) and eventually forced to land on a bush strip, but was subsequently torched by the Pilot because it was 'loaded to the gunn'ls' with giggleweed!:ooh:

A bloody waste of a good Aircraft!:mad:

Wunwing
17th Jul 2014, 09:51
I was going to mention having seen Hercs around the NT chasing these aircraft but I thought no one would believe it. Saw it happen a few times. You can see a lot looking down in the moonlight.

Grogmonster
17th Jul 2014, 10:18
That would be this fellow below. DONALD TAIT

Drug runner intercepted over NT 19th Jan 1978.

On this day, a light aircraft was spotted on radar entering the Northern Territory to the west of Darwin. Coincidentally, a C-130 Hercules (A97-168) from No 37 Squadron was returning from a trip to Butterworth and was about to come into Darwin at the same time. In the absence of any fighters to scramble, the captain of the RAAF transport was asked to follow the mystery aircraft as it travelled inland. Eventually the C-130 caught up with what turned out to be a twin-engine Aero Commander 680E. The pilot of the light aircraft made a crashlanding in a muddy paddock 14 kilometres north-west of Katherine, then set the aircraft on fire in an attempt to conceal that on board were 270 000 Thai ‘buddha sticks’ (high-grade cannabis) worth nearly $4 million. After hiding out in the bush for 40 hours, the pilot––later identified as drug runner, Donald Tait––was discovered by police and arrested. Tait was subsequently jailed for seven years.

Groggy

50 50
17th Jul 2014, 10:21
I can't account for the veracity of this story but maybe someone can fill in the gaps. I have been told that one morning staff arrived at work, also at YWOL, to find an unmarked aircraft abandoned on the runway after a wheels up landing. Cleaned out, stripped down, and with a suspicious lack of people around it.

That's all I have, sorry, it may be compete fiction, but does anyone recall such an event?

kaz3g
17th Jul 2014, 10:50
I was in an enforcement job in the late 80's through the 90's and I recall several discussions about light aircraft coming into the Cobourg Peninsula from the north and disappearing again.

It was pretty isolated then and rumour had it that a few inquisitive souls disappeared as well.

Kaz

Warm Ballast
18th Jul 2014, 06:42
Busted Again! Another American ?Mystery Plane? | MadCow Morning News (http://www.madcowprod.com/2014/07/15/another-american-mystery-plane-busted/)

Ex FSO GRIFFO
18th Jul 2014, 07:23
How 'Naive' we were then.....

When 'committing aviation' ex Hedland, I can remember seeing Mr Tait in a Shrike at Hedland in the early 70's, it had 'Loran Geophysical Survey' or somesuch painted on the sides, and his story was that he was doing a 'Loran' / Geo survey....

No-one really knew what that was.

I guess it was sufficient 'cover' at the time though....Nice fella to talk to....

:ooh:

It was said at the time of his arrest, - Groggy's post - that after the successful delivery of that 'cargo' he would have actually owned the aircraft.

Pinky the pilot
18th Jul 2014, 08:54
From the MadCow Link

David Baddams, owner and chief pilot of Snow Goose International, the Australian aircraft ferrying company contracted to move the plane, is a retired Lieutenant Commander in the Australian Air Force and Top Gun-type fighter pilot extraordinaire.

Lieutenant Commander??:rolleyes:

I stopped reading the 'story' at that point.:ugh:

500N
18th Jul 2014, 12:38
Pinky

And with a direct link to his Bio which says Navy in the first Paragraph !

(Just noticed he ejected from an A4 Skyhawk on the deck of HMAS Melbourne as it went off the end).

Jabawocky
18th Jul 2014, 13:04
Pinky and 500N

Lt Cmdr D Baddams MBE, RAN Ret. is in fact a former RAN fighter pilot, he is in fact a retired Lt CDR of HMS Invincible.

He is also a man of much respect.

The fact that some scummy web news can't get their facts straight and at the same time is trying to discredit him is something I think his lawyers will have a field day with. no doubt many have a copy of that article already.

His contract to ferry the aircraft to the PH is simply that. I have had some knowledge of the flight, the challenges due winds and actual performance, and to be frank have no reason at all to believe any wrong doing.

The same cannot be said of the owner.

Mr Baddams however I expect will be keen to see the moronic actions of some taken to account. This guy is no fool. far from it, but he is not immune to being lied to by a customer. That in itself is not illegal.

Mad Cow news indeed……Mad. :bored:

500N
18th Jul 2014, 16:33
Jaba

Thanks.

I didn't read MadCow, it came across as weird - CIA !

Everything I read on the web re Lt Cmdr D Baddams MBE is of an exceptional person, as you said.

50 50
18th Jul 2014, 22:57
I think I'm dumber for having read part way through mad cow news. I'm certain it was written by someone in a tin foil hat.

What utter crap

Pinky the pilot
19th Jul 2014, 09:33
Thanks also from me Jaba.

The thought crossed my mind that he was ex RAN. However, as soon as I spot a clanger like that in a story I just stop reading it!

65er
20th Jul 2014, 00:12
I bet the straight 65 is VH-FDV. The bastard probably has my old brand new engines out of my old Queenie.....:{

Nope !! Original engines as purchased - one bulk stripped by Suncoast Aero Engines - and a good job they did too !!
I believe the engines from yours ended up with the (then) local LAME school.
Lol - i was unsuccessful in trying to buy them :{

truthinbeer
6th Aug 2014, 08:24
Pilot BS in court today re drug importation and manufacturing. :eek:
Described in court as a "flight risk".

wishiwasupthere
6th Aug 2014, 09:48
Albion Park airport drug raid: pilot faces court | Illawarra Mercury (http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2467861/albion-park-airport-drug-raid-pilot-faces-court/?cs=298)

onetrack
7th Aug 2014, 12:24
There are fools - and then there are complete idiots.

I mean to say - producing $300K in folding notes for a property deposit, isn't going to be noticed by anyone, is it?? :rolleyes:

Pilot attempts property purchase with $300K in cash (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/illawarra-regional-airport-at-albion-park-used-to-import-guns-and-drugs-police-say/story-fni0cx12-1227015921543)

Wally Mk2
7th Aug 2014, 13:19
Amazing but imagine what goes on behind the scenes that we don't find.
Organized crime is just that organized & I bet only a fraction gets brought to the attention of the authorities.
These people maybe idiots but they are not fools, well fools in the eyes of law abiding citizens that is but in amongst their own corrupt society they are very clever.

Wmk2

Jamair
7th Aug 2014, 17:36
SMS777 - not FWG you are referring to is it?

sms777
8th Aug 2014, 04:38
Hi Jamair,
Yes, you are correct. FDV is the straight tail one. FWG is the one being used for meat bombing at Caloundra if it's still in action.
Cheers...:ok:

Dora-9
8th Aug 2014, 06:36
FWG was broken up a few years back.

The mighty FDV is, however, still active (heard/seen over my house yesterday).

Draggertail
22nd May 2015, 09:38
Cancer-suffering pilot sentenced to jail over drug importation flight into Wollongong - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-22/cancer-suffering-pilot-jailed-over-drug-importation-flight/6490462)

Jabawocky
22nd May 2015, 12:18
Not passing the smell test…… :confused:

Dangly Bits
22nd May 2015, 14:57
I'm with Jabba!

He is a Drug Peddler! Lucky we don't have the death penalty you poor excuse for a father!
He deserves more time in the Pokey having his "Dangly Bits" played with by the Prison Heavy!

DB

Sunfish
22nd May 2015, 21:29
…But does he lose his pilots licence?

kaz3g
22nd May 2015, 23:10
I'm with Jabba!

He is a Drug Peddler! Lucky we don't have the death penalty you poor excuse for a father!
He deserves more time in the Pokey having his "Dangly Bits" played with by the Prison Heavy!

Research conducted by a former trial lawyer, now a NSW Judge, revealed that 1 in 4 male prisoners is sexually assaulted (raped) while serving his sentence. They are the young, the weak, the feminine, the old...those over whom male power and control can be imposed.

The damage this does to those individuals and, by extension the rest of society when both perpetrator and abused are eventually released is huge.

Not the sort of thing a civilised society should tolerate nor one that should be encouraged even in jest in my view.

Kaz

Nulli Secundus
23rd May 2015, 00:27
Very well said.

Jenna Talia
23rd May 2015, 01:41
They should think about that before embarking on a crime that will have the obvious consequences. :=

sms777
23rd May 2015, 06:49
"....But does he lose his pilots license?"
No, he will not....but what's the use if he won't get an ASIC due to criminal conviction on his record. He won't be flying commercially for a while, me thinks.

Horatio Leafblower
23rd May 2015, 07:15
Not sure if he's a LAME but he has owned a maintenance shop in the past, and in my dealings with him he was very concerned about providing good customer service and value for money which is more than you can say for some. :ugh:

I imagine that he doesn't hold a current medical if his cancer status is as reported. I don't know if he breached any civil aviation laws, and I dunno if CASA could get their act together sufficiently to prove it if he did.

This trial was related to the drugs activities, which are not outlawed by the CAA, CARs or CASRs, so cancellation of civil aviation privileges will not be a direct action available to the court. As others have said, the criminal conviction will slow down ASICs and handicap (but not kill) a commercial flying career.

Without passing comment on the crime or the (surprisingly short) sentence, I feel sorry for Bernie and his family. He is a nice guy. :(

Trojan1981
24th May 2015, 12:41
Dangly bits, you're a tool, and you're also advocating, nay suggesting, that a crime take place. This voids any protection you have for your anonymity on this forum, and could possibly be a criminal offence in itself.

Bernie may have been misguided, I know he was desperately trying to find ways to generate more cash, but he is not a bad guy.

I had business dealings with him over a few years and found that he was always relatively honest and upfront. He lived in a modest home and certainly never made ostentatious displays of wealth or displayed any of the behaviors that you would ordinarily associate with criminals. He's currently bailed pending appeal, and hopefully, as a small fish, he doesn't get too long. I have no doubt he'll be back in the game at some stage, and he'll still be more honest than many of the players in this industry in Australia.

LeadSled
25th May 2015, 14:49
Ex-FSO Griffo,
Tait's aeroplane was a 560E, not a Shrike, after years of being an instructional airframe at Padstow TAFE, what is left is at Australian Aviation Museum, Bankstown.
Tootle pip!!

Popgun
29th May 2015, 08:47
A sad sidebar to this unfortunate story:

No Cookies | dailytelegraph.com.au (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/central-coast/owner-of-abandoned-aircraft-at-patonga-linked-to-international-drug-smuggling-racket/story-fngr8h0p-1227373162416)

Reports that the aircraft was being handled in a less than desirable manner prior to it becoming bogged in the sand...

PG

airman1
14th Jan 2017, 23:45
Does anyone know what happened to the N224HR ? Is it still in Wollongong ?

Styx75
15th Jan 2017, 03:35
Does anyone know what happened to the N224HR ? Is it still in Wollongong ?

Still in the hars hanger as of last sunday...

airman1
15th Jan 2017, 05:15
Still in the hars hanger as of last sunday...

Thanks do you know it they purchase it or is it just being stored there ? I would have expected it to be advertised for sale by now.

Styx75
15th Jan 2017, 08:02
Thanks do you know it they purchase it or is it just being stored there ? I would have expected it to be advertised for sale by now.

Quote some random hars volunteer 'i cant say much about this aircraft, its under investigation by the police'.

Beyond stuff available on a quick google search on the aircraft, thats about all i know about it...