PDA

View Full Version : TTMRA clarification. Post-issue add ons

Biggles24
9th Jul 2014, 03:48
Hi All

I am trying to get clarity on something that I cannot seems to find in previous threads. I've printed off the mountains of paperwork to convert my NZ Cpl & MEIR (current) to CASA under TTMRA. However, I am thinking of doing an instructors rating in the not too distant future here in NZ. If I go ahead now and submit the conversion application, can I add on the instructor's rating at a later date? I have heard conflicting thoughts on the matter.

As per the the TTMRA document, all that is states is this:

Instrument and Flight Instructor Ratings
Current instrument ratings and flight instructor ratings (except for Cat D & E ratings) may be
transferred under the TTMRA Act.
Once issued, to continue to exercise the privileges of the CIR in Australia, you must renew
annually. The instructor rating must be renewed biennially (except for initial issue under the
TTMRA). Failure to renew a pilot’s Australian CIR after a period of 1 year will result in the pilot
having to sit and pass the Australian Theory component (IREX) exam and undergo a flight test
conducted to initial issue standard with an approved person (ATO or CASA FOI).

A penny for your thoughts.
Thanks.

Oktas8
9th Jul 2014, 07:55
CASA will deny every qualification they possibly can, to any individual within Australia or outside it.

They are looking for ways to keep you "safe" (that is, permanently grounded). Be afraid; be very afraid... and so on.

Hence the requirement to re-sit the IREX theory exam if you dare to do your instrument flying outside Australia for a couple of years. How dangerous!

However, good news!

The Australian parliament specifically requires CASA to issue you with an Australian instructor rating on presentation of your NZ equivalent rating. Even if you have already undergone the TTMRA for other qualifications, you can always add a new, not-yet-converted, current rating at any time.

But, once the Australian instructor rating has been issued, it must be kept current according to Australian rules. You can't use TTMRA to keep it current.

Therefore, don't convert a rating until you are ready to come over and use it. (Everybody loves New Zealanders over here, so it will be dead easy to find work. Just tell them all about NZ!)

Biggles24
9th Jul 2014, 12:00
Even if you have already undergone the TTMRA for other qualifications, you can always add a new, not-yet-converted, current rating at any time.

Thanks Oktas8. Would the same apply for aircraft endorsements, eg: retractable endorsement, too?

flyingkea
9th Jul 2014, 14:21
Hello,
Pay vast sums of money and ye shall recieve. I converted my licence a couple of years ago, but never brought across my night rating. End of last year I just filled out the paperwork, and they added it to my licence.
Same should apply to endorsements etc.

Just remember though, once converted, it must be kept current using Australian rules.

pineappledaz
11th Jul 2014, 06:43
Biggles,

Just been through the process. You can add any new rating/type rating/aircraft category/design feature from either side. I have converted CPL & MECIR now and will add FIR in a few weeks. You can not however use the TTMRA to keep things current.

Any aircraft type ratings from NZ will add design endorsements in Oz, depending on the aircraft type. CASA have a list of aircraft and any extra design features. I had a c172 added and ended up with Manual pitch prop control (Piston) as somewhere a c172 exists with manual prop pitch control.

Hope that helps. Have you written the stat dec yet? PM if you need any help.

good luck.

Biggles24
16th Feb 2015, 14:06
@Flyingkea...I assume however your NVFR was restricted to the circuit unless one did a NVFR flight test here.
Or is this a new thing?

drpixie
17th Feb 2015, 06:35
Just a Part 61 thought ... under the new regulations, ratings never expire. They need annual proficiency checks to by used, but the rating itself is perpetual.

So any TTMRA quals that you transfer, you'll have forever. Does that change things for you?