PDA

View Full Version : Any diabetic pilots in the building..?

YorkFlyer
8th Jul 2014, 13:00
Hello,

First thread, so be gentle! :) I've seen a few threads about diabetes on here, but none have particularly answered any of my questions, so I hope this doesn't get removed!

I'm a Type 1 diabetic that uses insulin and was diagnosed in 2011 (following a prompt fail of a Class 2 medical in fact!) Since then, i've turned my life around and i'm now an all around fitter individual. I've only recently got back into learning to fly, but having seen the CAA documents and spoken briefly to an AME I still have a couple of questions to anyone who may be in a similar position or would be able to share any experience.

Notably, what would a diabetic need to do to satisfy an AME that he/she is fit to pass a Class 2? Because having paid a whopper for my initial class 2 the first time around, only to find out I was diabetic, the last thing i'd want is to pay the same only to fail because there wasn't enough evidence to say my diabetes was well controlled (if that makes sense?).

Also, when airborne what procedures have different pilots made and/or undergo to test their sugar levels? I'm learning on a Cessna 150, so I don't exactly have the luxury an autopilot while I check my levels with my machine! The process for testing isn't particularly fiddly, but of course I wouldn't want to deviate too much attention away from my flying.

Finally... Will I be able to fly passengers/friends without a 'safety pilot'?

Cheers :O

RONTOM-EGPD
10th Jul 2014, 08:17
Hello YorkFlyer,

Firstly, you can get a full unrestricted class 1 medical now here in the UK(EASA). I myself have a class 2. It took around 9 months of sending paperwork to the CAA and showing them consistent HBa1C results along with retinal screening reports and kidney results to get it.

Also, if you want to take passengers you'll have to do a medical flight test with an AME. Basically it just shows them you can test your bloods whilst still flying. It takes a couple of attempts to master it, but it's easily done.

If you go onto the PWD (Pilots with diabetes) website and get in touch with Douglas Cairns, he'll let you know everything you need to know. Just type Pilots with Diabetes into Google and away you go.

Best of luck with everything!! :ok: