PDA

View Full Version : GlobalEye et al

pilotday
8th Jul 2014, 10:10
Who at EGHQ is sending pilot name and numbers to these scammers like GlobalEye?

I'm getting really tired of the spam calls while in rest.

Snake man
8th Jul 2014, 10:22
Oh how precious!
We'll have a member of the crisis management team meet you on arrival....

extramileage
8th Jul 2014, 13:11
Plenty of similar insurance or FA cold callers in pretty much every "home country", each with their own excuse as to how they got your number.

Now if etisalat could stop calling me to upgrade my home service...

SOPS
8th Jul 2014, 15:17
Yes, I am sick of the super slick bottoms feeders ringing me. Problem is, I don't know what to do. I have tried the polite no, the impolite no, the rude no, the abusive no, the f:mad::mad:k off and hang up no, and still they come. I pity the person that has given my information to them, if I ever find out who they are...a lot of pain may result.:=:=

TransitCheck
8th Jul 2014, 15:25
Try telling them you are American. A lot of these companies will run from the US tax laws.

Better yet, be friendly and get these guys mobile numbers and then publish the mobile numbers on here and lets all give them a taste of their own medicine.

harry the cod
8th Jul 2014, 20:35
Love that last suggestion,I'm game.

Several weeks ago I received such a call. The guy on the other end of the phone told me that it was the Gulf News who provided the number. They must have had my details when I subscribed to a sister magazine last year. If you've bought a house through Emaar or Nakheel, they too will sell out your details either officially or thanks to a few unscrupulous reprobates who work there.

So, whilst GlobalEye may well use the same sources, I suspect it may be one of our own selling us out. One of our skippers is married to one of the 'senior' wealth advisers who no doubt has access to our names and numbers. Her track record is not good. Originally cabin crew from the UK, she took to selling property during the previous boom. Fired for stealing commission, she turned her zero qualifications to finance. A 3 day course and hey presto....qualified to offer advice on pensions and investments. Friend of mine had a 1.5 million pound pension fund reduced to under 900K in less than 2 years thanks to GlobalEye.

The last I heard was Madam was about to order a brand new Porsche Panamera. Be careful out there!

Harry

GoreTex
8th Jul 2014, 23:45
just make an appointment with them at a fake location, just waste their time, its fun

nolimitholdem
9th Jul 2014, 06:31
A statement isn't slanderous if it is true and provably so. And it's called libel if it's in print, in case you're interested.

Since when is one's gender or marital status a shield to hide one's behaviour behind? You reap what you sow.

By your indignant response you only indicate the arrow hit pretty close to the mark.

The good advisors are out there, but they aren't chasing the clients. The clients come to them.

PGA
9th Jul 2014, 08:59
I have had this lady visit as well.

She lied to me from the very start, since she claimed I was referred to her by my sim buddy back then, which I know wasn't the case. The way she went about explaining the referral was pathetic too. I suspect her partner provides her with a copy of the seniority list which she subsequently uses to call new joiners etc.

Her financial advice is about as good as mine, based on absolutely no knowledge whatsoever.

harry the cod
9th Jul 2014, 09:28
It's based on commission, pure and simple. The colleague I referred to had transferred a UK pension but had been lied to regarding the risk of the investment. Told it was low to moderate, it turned out anything but. Investigation during the following months as his investment dropped revealed it as high risk. No reputable financial adviser would put a client who's mid 50's into a high risk fund for a pension pot that was already large. Redemption penalties for him were huge so he decided to ride it out. GlobalEye received a huge sales commission in addition to yearly income on the fund.

He's a nice guy, but somewhat naive and trusting of people and not great at financial or investment knowledge. That made him the perfect target for these scumbags.
They have no integrity, take no responsibility and are dishonest.

As someone has already posted, if it means further people can be protected from vermin like this, I'll post what I want and stand by it. The truth is out there and they know it! Edited to state that I agree with post 17 further down. These forums are ideal for warning our colleagues about these issues, especially so when one of our own 'mates' his helping his wife shaft us.

Harry

Plazbot
9th Jul 2014, 10:58
I have noticed I get a call from these thieves within a week whenever I have modified my phone plan so I assume my provider provides them too.

Mr Good Cat
9th Jul 2014, 12:19
Above all else, for any new/potential joiners:

(1) Invest your money via a broker in your home country, so you are covered by your country's regulations and laws.

(2) Don't transfer your pension out of your home country, unless you do it through a scheme IN your home country, regulated by that country.

(3) Never ever trust ANYONE here with your money, based on what they tell you in a cold call.

:ugh:

donpizmeov
9th Jul 2014, 13:23
You can not prevent Darwinism.

The Don

clear to land
9th Jul 2014, 14:49
Well said Don-but you forgot the most important part: Nor do you want to prevent it-it happens for a reason!

Mr Good Cat
9th Jul 2014, 14:50
No... but if I'm walking down a street and I see a child being lured into a car by a stranger, I'm going to intervene and try and help. I'm not going to stand by and mutter "should've paid attention to the public information ads".

Bear in mind that most of the new joiners are young and short on life experience, having grown up in a nanny state where the don't have to worry about this sort of crap too much.

In addition to that, it also highlights the reason why as a group we pilots are experiencing a sharp downward trend in Ts and Cs.... We don't stick together and support each other, we just look after ourselves without thinking of the consequences. Then we try and convince ourselves it's all the fault of those young 23 year olds who prostituted themselves by paying for their type rating, line training etc etc.

BYMONEK
9th Jul 2014, 16:38
Recently flew with a delightful American female F/o who, I found out, was over $120,000 in the red due to financing of her licence and further loans due to subsequent poor pay from a US regional. Even when she was a qualified pilot she was sharing a rented house in a dodgy suburb with four others and would take it in turns to buy dinner. Taco Bell, Pizza Hut etc value take outs. She was on under $19,000 p/a. Her story is not unique with many ex Ryanair guys joining here with big debt. Buying even the most modest of properties is beyond the reach of many new joiners.

So, yes, I agree that we can and should offer advice to those trying to get back on their feet again. I look back to my earlier flying days and some senior Captains were great sources of information. Not all was good but I went with the ones who were financially stable and weren't bull****ters. It was often the quite ones who didn't brag were the cunning investors and savers.

The girl I mentioned had been contacted by GlobalEye and DeVerre within a day of each other and asked what I thought. I told her to avoid them both at all costs and get more impartial advise from Mondial in regards to using the Provident fund as a starter.

littlejet
10th Jul 2014, 06:51
Is there any way to report this nonsense to the authorities? Few days ago I received a cold call from some bank and the guy knew a lot about my insurance policies, which mean those insurance companies or someone within sold my info...

Sheikh Your Bootie
11th Jul 2014, 08:50
Their latest tactic is to try and friend me on Linkedin. Err, no.

All shysters, avoid, avoid, avoid.

If you are EK, Mondial is your best bet.

SyB