PDA

View Full Version : FAA multi rating UK

Squeegee Longtail
4th Jul 2014, 20:56
I am looking to do a multi rating for my FAA private cert. Have own a/c.
I am S. Coast UK.
Anyone help?

irish seaplane
6th Jul 2014, 15:17
This sounds easy to do but in reality will reduce you to tears. Unless you have a PA44,34 or Twinstar or C421 that is. The local examiner can only examine on those types. As for getting another DPE you may forget that idea.

Frustrating truth but you may as well get straight advice from the start. If some else knows different I am now listening....

debiassi
7th Jul 2014, 16:20
I suggest contacting Baudouin at Orbifly.
He can do your training in France and you can use your own aircraft.
He will also arrange the flight test.
Very straight forward procedure.
If you wish to do it in the UK then you simply need to find an FAA CFI/MEI and obtain DFT approval to train in your aircraft.
Again relatively straightforward.
You would still probably have to fly to Le-Touquet to carry out the flight test.
Hope that helps.
PS I have personally been through both of the procedures above.

3 Point
7th Jul 2014, 17:51
Not sure if I'm allowed to say this but this guy ...

Pilot Services | General Aviation check-rides and further training (http://www.pilotservices.org/)

is a friend of mine, call him. He may be able to help

3 Point

irish seaplane
8th Jul 2014, 00:04
Hi,
Not sure if Brian there is a DPE. AFIK he isn't and a DPE is what you need for the test. He may well be able to offer instruction though to get you to test standard.

As for Orbifly - I didn't even get in the air with them. Booked the flights to Cannes to fly the Seneca and not long before I was due to head over I called to make sure all was ok only to be told that aircraft was in Le Touquet. Option was pay for the ferry back and forth or scrap my trip to Cannes and go to where the aircraft was now located. I ended up just taking a holiday in Cannes.

I'm still listening...

AdamFrisch
8th Jul 2014, 13:22
A DPE does not need to have had any time in the type for which the rating is taken, so I don't know why he would only accept certain aircraft types. Must just be some personal limit he has put on himself. He does need 5hrs in type to instruct in it, but en examination ride is not instruction. I would find someone else.

irish seaplane
8th Jul 2014, 18:49
Hi,
It's an FAA thing to make more of a monopoly on the exams. Each examiner only has certain types of Multi he can examine on. Our "local" DPE only has PA34,44, DA42 and C421. So if you don't have one of those 4 types which on the N Reg (don't get me started...) you can't get tested on it.

Irish

See below if you doubt me.....

Designee Locator -
Search Results by FAA Office
Designee Type(s) - ACE,ATPE,CE,CIRE,DPE,FIE,MCFPE,NDPER,PE,PPE,SPE,SPFIE
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
UK
Phone: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

FAA Office: EA15

Aircraft: AGUSTA-A109-A, AS-355-F2, BHT-206-B, R-22-22, R-44-44, R-66-66, SK-76-C

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
UK
Phone: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

FAA Office: EA15

Aircraft: CE-421-421, DA-42-42, PA-34-200, PA-44-180

Squeegee Longtail
9th Jul 2014, 20:44
Thanks for the replies.
I don't have the types mentioned. Am heading to FL in October. Maybe easiest to wait until then to get multi. I would still want to get some type familiarisation training locally (PA30 turbo). Anyone for that around?

irish seaplane
10th Jul 2014, 22:23
Think you could do a lot worse than talk to Mike Smart and Tony Brown at Farley Farm. Also put out a request via the EU Comanche tribe. There is a lot of experience there. Let us know what you find for Twin Com instructors. I have one too and always learning.