PDA

View Full Version : Accessing one's own medical records ahead of Class 1 medical

Legalflyer
4th Jul 2014, 10:46
Apologies if this has been discussed before. I've searched previous threads and don't appear to have found the answer. This is my first post on this site.

I'm considering a career change and have always loved planes and flying. However, from the reading and research I've done so far, I understand that getting through the Class 1 medical is worth doing immediately, since if one doesn't pass the medical, then there's no chance of being a commercial airline pilot.

I'm concerned as to whether I would pass the medical, owing to a bout of serious depression over a decade ago, where I was voluntarily hospitalised on two occasions. Whether this would be a deal-breaker remains to be seen. However, I wondered if anyone had requested to see their medical records ahead of making an appointment for a Class 1 medical, in order to determine exactly what information is held about you and thus to establish exactly what does and doesn't need to be disclosed?

Also - which medical records would the doctors at the CAA have access to? Everything from every source since birth? A summary provided by the GP? Something in between? I've looked at the CAA website and it isn't clear what sources they will rely on.

If anyone could shed any light on this, I'd be most grateful.

Radgirl
4th Jul 2014, 20:44
Everything needs to be disclosed. Failure to do so is an offense. And assume they have everything because medical records work like that

gingernut
4th Jul 2014, 22:20
NHS informatics are notoriously crap. My insurance company knows more about my health than my doctor. My dog, (who is "chipped") has more information about his immunisations (in his neck) than I have.

In all honestly, you'd probably get away with hiding from your records for a while, but it's likely that eventually things would catch up with you.

Mental illness is no different than any other illness, people suffer from it, get treated, and generally recover.

I'd like to think that the aviation authorities share the same attitude....previous posts on here would suggest that you may have to jump through a few hurdles, but they are not insurmountable.

There's no guarantee of success, on a positive note, it would seem that your illness was some time ago. I suspect that the authorities would be interested in recent events/treatment.

As Radgirl notes, you owe it to yourself and your future passengers, to disclose. This may be at the risk of not gaining your ticket.

Please let us know how you get on.:)

cavortingcheetah
5th Jul 2014, 05:29
Here's a UK CAA depression flow chart.
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/2499/Depression%20FC%20v2.0.pdf
The CAA cannot (afaik) pull your medical records without your consent so they are unlikely to determine any previous problems on a snoop. You have to sign a consent form if they require medical history from your GP and they're only likely to do that if you raise a flag.
Here's the medical application form.
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/Medical%20Certificate%20Application%20MED160.pdf
Does it mention depression as being a required declared item? If it does and you tick a box then go to the medical armed with a letter from your GP saying that the depression was ten years ago, that it has never recurred and that you are not on any medical treatment for the ailment.
Good luck.

Radgirl
5th Jul 2014, 21:44
Cavorting cheetahs second comment is spot on but I do worry about comments about the possibility of getting away with it however well meant. There are all sorts of ways the regulator can find out, and if you have already passed a medical and flown as a result..... Worse still, if you have an accident it almost certainly will come out leaving you or your dependants facing financial ruin.

In short never attempt to deceive. Period

cavortingcheetah
5th Jul 2014, 22:18
The Catch 22 is that whereas depression might not be specified, hospital admissions are so you'd presumably have to tick that box? That would require either a note in the further information block or a verbal explanation to the CAA doctor. Therefore go to the medical armed with proof that these admissions were ten years ago and a covering letter from your GP stating that no further treatment had been undertaken or required since then. If your physician can include the fact that depression had never been diagnosed and/or that the admission to hospital was on the basis of voluntary self help then so much the better?
You're not meant to of course but the Hamilton depression scale self check is available on line.

Radgirl
6th Jul 2014, 11:19
Sorry but box 118 would have to be answered yes if you have had bipolar disease and seen a doctor who has agreed the diagnosis.

cavortingcheetah
6th Jul 2014, 11:35
Quite right, that box too but there is, or so the memory of days spent confusing psychiatrists reminds me, more than a singular difference between bipolar disorder, known in the days of Bedlam as manic depression, and plain old depression.

Radgirl
6th Jul 2014, 14:49
Oh dear Cavortingcheetah the only reason for my posts is to warn people not to be tempted to deceive. It will land them in trouble and indeed may well bring down damnation on all pilots if politicians respond to a disaster in their usual knee jerk way.

So your suggestion that depression isn't bipolar worries me. ANY psychiatric diseas has to be declared period. And bipolar is the current medical term for depression

No more posts from me. I think everyone has the message.

cavortingcheetah
6th Jul 2014, 16:49
The Spanish disease used to be the current medical term for syphilis although the Spaniards referred to it as the French disease and the British were largely immune to it owing to their high alcohol intake impeding the means of contraction. It's enough to make one quite bipolar.

gingernut
6th Jul 2014, 17:51
In the UK, we wouldn't generally class depression as bi-polar.

Indeed most cases seen are "mild to moderate depression." Sometimes over-medicalised, and some would say, over treated.

However we want to play around with the labels though, an admission for a psychiatric illness should not be covered up.

Telling porkies to your AME is a little like sleeping with your sister in law....it seems a good idea at the time, but inevitably it will come back to bite you in the bum.

So I'm told.