PDA

View Full Version : Total hip replacement

Clare Prop
3rd Jul 2014, 13:08
I'm up for one of these in a couple of weeks, surgeon reckons 8 weeks before returning to flying, my GP, who also does my flying medicals reckons more like 5.

Anyone here had this done and how long did it take to get back to work? Am strong and healthy apart from this osteoarthritis in one joint.

cavortingcheetah
3rd Jul 2014, 14:23
My Birmingham resurface, a procedure which is less invasive than a total hip replacement, took something along the lines of a 6 week recovery although that was some years ago and I'm a big wet. If the GP signs you out after your temporary unfit period then you're legal aren't you? Pace yourself and see how the recuperation runs. Each person really is different in recovery mode. The problem might not be whether you can instruct but rather how your new hip would cope in an emergency. You wouldn't want a dislocation in a forced landing while evacuating a small machine in a hurry.
Good luck and a speedy recovery!

Clare Prop
3rd Jul 2014, 15:26
Thanks! Yes I was hoping to have the Birmingham procedure but apparently the joint was too far gone for that.

I'm doing heaps of exercises to build up the muscles around the hip so hoping to minimise recovery time, seeing as I'm self employed!

cavortingcheetah
3rd Jul 2014, 16:25
Subject to the expert medical opinion which is available on this thread, I should have thought that your greatest problem would be a dislocation and that risk is one that can continue for some months. I tried balancing on alternate legs for periods of time before the procedure. I found that the heightened sense of balance awareness which came with doing this before surgery helped getting back to walking without sticks. Even today, some years later, I can find that I have to stop what I'm doing and just kind of concentrate on stretching the hip out. It's most usually occasioned by hurling myself too fast into a low slung car.
I'm sure it's going to be frustrating not being able to instruct while recovering. My poor old quivering body sort of paced itself and I made sure I didn't exceed what it told me although I pushed the hip limits from time to time. I can believe that dislocation is extremely painful and scary as well as being of further incapacitation. Perhaps you should take up heavy drinking for a month, a Ramadan reversal as it were?
At least if you stay flat on your back, drunk as a stoat, the time will pass pleasantly, swiftly and harmlessly enough and you can make aeroplane noises to yourself to while away the time.

Clare Prop
4th Jul 2014, 08:27
Thing is, I don't like alcohol... :yuk:

Been having sessions with an exercise physiologist as preparation. Doing lots of workouts with weights and elastic bands. I think I'm about as ready as I'll ever be..

cavortingcheetah
4th Jul 2014, 12:44
Me neither it interferes with the balance an aspect often much ignored.

gingernut
4th Jul 2014, 22:28
Like to see that your GP is an optimist.:)

The procedure is very well tolerated, and patients generally make a speedily and uncomplicated recovery.

Good luck with the op, let us know how you get on.

Clare Prop
5th Jul 2014, 07:35
Thanks Gingernut!

My GP has known me for over 20 years, knows I am strong as an ox and said there is nothing like the motivation of a self employed person with bills to pay when it comes to recovery time :bored:

My main worry for any operation is being Factor IX deficient but hopefully the haemotologist has that under control. Took so much blood last week I'm surprised I had enough left to make a massive bruise at the site they took the blood from :ooh:

gcap
14th Jul 2014, 13:08
CP
I have had both hips replaced. first one in 2004, the next in 2012.
I was flying for Delta in '04, and went back to the line at 5 weeks.
Flying corporate now, went back at 4 weeks in '12.
I think my surgeon is excellent, and that might have something to do with the rapid recovery. If I am not too late in responding to your request for info, I would work on upper body strength a bit so that those first couple days you find it easier getting into and out of chairs (and the toilet).
The new hips are excellent. Amazing how nice it is to be able to put your socks on without pain.
Best of luck to you

Clare Prop
15th Jul 2014, 13:49
Thanks gcap

I have been seeing an exercise physiologist for the last three months who has given me lots of exercises to build up strength pre-op and I actually feel nearly as strong as I was when this was diagnosed in 2009 and I was doing a lot of karate as well as cycling and swimming (which I have kept up)

The hardest thing has been having to give up ibuprophen and my one or two ciggies per day.

cavortingcheetah
15th Jul 2014, 19:06
Ibuprofen is not the friendliest sort of medication as far as the kidneys are concerned. Paracetamol might serve them better.
As for the smokes, well, endless monologues have been written on how lucky some are who have given them up. Here's another one then, a monologue that is. Up until relatively recently bladder cancer was almost exclusively a male disease. It wasn't quite as sexually restricted as prostate cancer but it came a close second. In the last few decades the linear representation of bladder cancer statistics as between men and women has almost evened itself out. The correlation between the increase in smoking among women and the rise in bladder cancers among that sex is too obvious to ignore. Smoking cigarettes is the single largest cause of bladder cancer and, because that one often has few symptoms until well advanced, it's a nasty little problem for some. Bladderless is not where you want to be.
Anthrax was almost exclusively a male problem too but, unless overly badgered, I'll save that little medical snippet for another day.

Wyler
16th Jul 2014, 11:54
Have had both done, the second only 3 months ago. Very quick recovery (4 weeks). Stick to the exercise regime but DO NOT push yourself too hard . Your body will tell you, believe me! Down to surgical skill as well as a friend had his done a week after mine and was out for 7 weeks with heavy bruising as well.
Had both of mine under sedation/epidural so no GA was a definite bonus.
Swimming is great for preparation and recovery.

tecman
30th Jul 2014, 03:13
Clare, all the best with the recovery. You may well be up and about by now.

I'm also staring at a replacement of at least one hip in the future (OA following an injury). For the last few months I've been noticing the movements needed to get in and out of various aircraft and am a bit discouraged when I see what I do to get into typical GA machines. In particular, my own LSA needs a few contortions, despite having a fairly roomy interior once you're inside. Being fairly tall, I found the C152 and C172 were also pretty bad.

I'd be interested to hear from other GA pilots on their progress after the replacement. It's very comforting to hear of rapid recoveries for everyday activities and line flying, but how careful do you have to be in returning to GA flying, and how long does it take to build the tissue strength to support more than very careful activity?

Bob the Doc
7th Aug 2014, 21:55
Hope it all goes well. Presumably you can still instruct ground school while you recover!

Clare Prop
8th Aug 2014, 17:34
We'll my new hip is three weeks old and I've been walking without any walking aids for a few days. I have been spending about 30 minutes a day in my pool, even though it is the middle of winter and feeling strong. But yes I see what some of you mean about your body telling you when you have pushed yourself too far...a trip round the supermarket last week nearly killed me, but I also find that when you have a day when you have exhausted yourself totally you feel so much stronger the next day.

The only complication I had was waking up in a bed full of blood thanks to my factor IX deficiency, blood test prior to surgery showed levels just OK but the sheets proved otherwise :\

I'm lucky in that I've always been fit and very flexible and the way the physio was having to trot to keep up with me as I zoomed down the ward and up and down the stairs on my crutches two days after the op was promising for a quick recovery!

I'm aiming to be driving next week, week 4, and flying at week six.

gcap
11th Aug 2014, 21:03
Congrats!!! It only gets better.