PDA

View Full Version : Air Intercept training program

tu chan go
2nd Jul 2014, 11:03
At Valley, the students used to be able to practice simple air intercepts with a PC based program and a joystick.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this program or know of a commercial program for sale?

Thanks in advance for any help given :)

ExRAFRadar
2nd Jul 2014, 11:14
Oh Come on - no one said MS Flight Sim yet ?

Chris Kebab
2nd Jul 2014, 13:11
...give Coningsby a call, ask what they did with the old F-4 AI trainers, bit of WD-40 and i'm sure they'd be fine.

BEagle
2nd Jul 2014, 14:47
tu chan go, why are you after this - and would it be for non-private use?

Morf
2nd Jul 2014, 20:10
The piece of software was written by Dave Lord and remains his intellectual property. It probably shouldn't be passed around!

Herod
2nd Jul 2014, 20:43
BTW, MSFS isn't the best platform for this. I believe (don't use them, so not sure) that CFS or IL2 Sturmovik are better.

tu chan go
3rd Jul 2014, 08:08
I am interested in the program because I teach fast jet pilots of another country in the art of air defence. We have a simulator but a desk based program would be good to teach them the basics and give them practice at "doing the sums". I could probably persuade the powers that be here to pay for the program but nothing is guaranteed :)

Is that the same Dave Lord that was Squadron boss at Valley some time ago??

Courtney Mil
3rd Jul 2014, 08:18
Let's not get into peddling pirated software here or unofficial FMS. Just saying.

ORAC
3rd Jul 2014, 08:46
Air intercept training?

Smash it to the edge and follow it round......

Fitter2
3rd Jul 2014, 08:48
Ah, a lurking WIWOL

ExRAFRadar
3rd Jul 2014, 09:08
Just out of interest are we talking about :

A 'first person' Airborne Sim
Simulation of a Radar Position
Simulation of a Theatre Air Defence Scenario

ExRAFRadar
3rd Jul 2014, 09:19
F16 for PC may we worth a look
I used to play it a few years ago, bloody hard work sometimes.
It's a bit old but has a thriving community that mod and update it.
Small flavour of what you can do with it here:
R5cf89VmuPc

ExRAFRadar
3rd Jul 2014, 09:22
And I disagree about MS FlightSim
Get a Teamspeak Server up, get some Typhoon models and an E3D, get some buddies to fly aggressor and you can do all the PI's you want in Multi-Player
;)

Background Noise
3rd Jul 2014, 09:27
I am interested in the program because I teach fast jet pilots of another country in the art of air defence. We have a simulator but a desk based program would be good to teach them the basics and give them practice at "doing the sums". I could probably persuade the powers that be here to pay for the program but nothing is guaranteed :)

Is that the same Dave Lord that was Squadron boss at Valley some time ago??

Yes - that's him. Last known in the Valley sim - you could try there. He also did a TACAN trainer which might also fit your needs. They certainly used to be commercially available.

tu chan go
3rd Jul 2014, 09:41
Thanks Background, I'll give him a call....its ages since I spoke to him last.

ekwhistleblower
3rd Jul 2014, 10:42
Stick it on a 150 collision and go pure at 10 miles, works like a charm!

PURPLE PITOT
3rd Jul 2014, 11:18
Surely you could just hack the flight control systems with your iphone these days:O