PDA

View Full Version : North Sea rules

NorthSeaS92
30th Jun 2014, 15:19
Hello all,

I recently finished my S92 conversion, and so far I only had 2 trips out to the rigs. After having read most of the manuals available to help me understand the rules involved in flying the North Sea, I still have a few questions, in specific to North Sea pilots that are willing to answer/explain my following questions:

-If I have not nominated Aberdeen (below alternate minima, due to weather) as my alternate, and we fly out to the rig, and before we reach the rig, due to a technical fault we have to return to land, can I now return back to Aberdeen, or do I go to my nominated alternate? If Aberdeen within that time now has changed to above alternate minima, can we change our mind and elect Aberdeen now as our alternate, or is that not permitted?
- what are the general rules for a Communication failure whilst routing offshore, or when on a VFR arrival into Aberdeen, or IFR either before the approach, or during the approach?
- with what kind of aircraft technical failures would you transmit a PanPan call? I assume it depends on the nature of the fault? Ie: engine, gearbox, under carriage, navigation equipment?

Thank you in advance.
Simon:ok: