PDA

View Full Version : Dave clark spares

mad_jock
29th Jun 2014, 11:59
does any one know where I can get a reasonably priced Comm Cord Kit w/9V Module from?

Part number 40599G-54

or even better the cable with the separate bits to it with din plugs on the end.

After 12 years and 6000 sectors mine has developed a wiring fault and the ANR won't work but it still works in normal mode. The ANR modules work its just not showing voltage on their power supply's.

Genghis the Engineer
29th Jun 2014, 14:02
I use these chaps quite often for stuff I can't get elsewhere. Not the cheapest, but not silly money, and very reliable.

David Clark Accessories - David Clark Headsets - Headsets - Aviation Headsets - Marv Golden Pilot Supplies (http://www.marvgolden.com/aviation-headsets/headsets/david-clark-headsets/david-clark-accessories/)

G

mad_jock
29th Jun 2014, 14:28
I have a couple of US suppliers that stock it.

How do you deal with the duty?

I am getting 300 quid quotes in the UK and beyond economic repair.

A new headset is 550ish.

Genghis the Engineer
29th Jun 2014, 15:27
Duty? Usually get it delivered to a colleague who is in the USA that week!

But if you can't do that, expect 20% plus a nominal tenner to be added by whoever delivers it for high value items. Low value items are likely to be ignored.

G

gooneydog
29th Jun 2014, 15:32
I have found D Clark fixes things for free if send directly to them. If it is very old they might rebuild it for $50

Rob

mad_jock
29th Jun 2014, 15:36
h'mm will have to try that option out gooney and will see when the boss is next over visiting family.

Saab Dastard
29th Jun 2014, 15:42
expect 20% plus a nominal tenner to be added

Bear in mind that VAT is calculated on value plus postage, which can rack up for large and / or heavy items.

SD

Genghis the Engineer
29th Jun 2014, 16:43
Bear in mind that VAT is calculated on value plus postage, which can rack up for large and / or heavy items.

SD

Odd, I've only ever been charged on the declared value.

G

BEagle
29th Jun 2014, 20:05
'Dave' Clark spares?

'Bits and Pieces', surely.....:cool:

this is my username
30th Jun 2014, 05:33
If you get them to send the parts from the US via standard airmail you are unlikely to get clobbered for VAT / duty - particularly if you use a private address rather than a business one. If they send it via a courier then you will get a VAT / duty bill.

Genghis the Engineer
30th Jun 2014, 07:22
Not a universal rule, but broadly I agree with Mr Username. Avoid UPS and DHL, and get it sent to your home.

Doesn't always work, but often does.

But always the best solution is delivery to somebody who is in the USA and coming back shortly.

G

Saab Dastard
30th Jun 2014, 19:14
Odd, I've only ever been charged on the declared value.
You have been very lucky.

UK Customs assess the amount of Duty to be paid (variable percentage depending on the nature of the goods) based on the declared value of the goods plus the transport costs to the country of destination. VAT is then paid on the total of declared value of the goods plus the transport costs to the country of destination plus the Duty!

And then you get to pay the service charge on top of that!

In my experience, getting hit for the duty and VAT is more to do with the size of the box than the anything else! They seem to think that the bigger and heavier it is, the more valuable it's likely to be - they may have a point! :)

But always the best solution is delivery to somebody who is in the USA and coming back shortly.Agreed, if at all possible. If they get stopped in the green channel, it's their problem! :p

SD

Mach Jump
30th Jun 2014, 19:27
'Bits and Pieces', surely..... :confused:

Nowhere near old enough to know what you mean! :O

MJ:ok:

herman the crab
1st Jul 2014, 01:26
Or a US 'friend' sends it as a low value gift.

HTC

Tinstaafl
1st Jul 2014, 04:06
You're likely to find it more cost effective to send it to DC in the US for repair. I sent my set of 15-20 year old DC10-40s in the the early '90's from Oz, and it cost the princely sum of US$70 (~AU$100). Can't remember if that included shipping. Tax deductable though! They replaced the headband, headpad, all cables, interior foam, a speaker, ear pads & mic. Probably the only bits that are original are the cups, a speaker & the mic boom.

Now I have to do it again thanks to a leaky plane filling the cups with water a couple of weeks ago, and the now 20 yo cable, interior foam & plugs failing. I spoke with DC about getting the parts sent to me & they said it's cheaper to send the headset to them than to buy the parts! She said they usually replace the headpad for free.

abgd
2nd Jul 2014, 10:03
The tenner for customs actually really annoys me. I've nothing against paying taxes, but it's often much more than the cost of the duty and seems expensive as an admin fee.