PDA

View Full Version : flight training in the US for foreigners

kelvin
18th Sep 2001, 08:00
Hi all, just wondering if anyone had any info on how last weeks trouble terrorist attack might effect foreign citizens wishing to conduct flight training in the U.S.
Also can anyone recommend any flight school they have attended in the US and were really happy with the training they recieved.
Feel free to email also; [email protected]

Thanks gang!

BayAreaLondoner
18th Sep 2001, 09:13
Not sure about how the unfortunate events have affected foreigners wanting to receive flight training here - it is probably a little early to say.
However, at the moment all VFR flights are prohibited in the continental USA. Therefore, primary training and I would imagine instrument training is not happening. There are fears of some flight schools going under (posted on newsgroups - don't know how accurate this info is). I would think that this doesn't apply to larger ones. AOPA is working with the FAA to try to get VFR operations back. They are now saying that it is likely to be a phased approach, whatever that may actually mean.

Maybe this topic should be in another forum?

Leatherman
18th Sep 2001, 20:37
In the light of what has happened, you would imagine that there has to be more security service involvement in any form of aviation training.
They will have to look at who is sponsoring and where that money is from.
The training establishment must monitor them more closely(these students were said to be lazy and lapse and only interested in hours.)And you would think that the simulator people might have been a little more suspicious of someone not wanting to do t/offs/ldgs only turns?
But then can't blame them as these guys were given training visas even though some had false passports and some were known to be suspected terrorists!
:eek:

Roadtrip
19th Sep 2001, 00:35
The problem isn't foreign students learning to fly here. The real problem is:

1. A lose US immigration policy

2. Virtually non-existent enforcement.

3. Virtually no control even for those on "watch" lists and a politically correct (PC) mindset that says that even if the "threat" is primarily from those of mid eastern background, you can't scruntinize them more closely.

4. Idiots at flight schools that note VERY suspicious behavior, and do NOTHING. Again, this is probably due to the PC mindset and the fear that they'd be branded as "intolerent."

Time for common sense to take hold in immigration policy, cockpit design, and arming pilots for last-ditch cockpit defense.

Foreign pilots from friendly countries AND cultures, properly documented and monitored by authorities aren't the problem. Stupidity, incompetence, navity, and political correctness are. At least IMHO.

EGDR
19th Sep 2001, 00:58
Arming pilots - what a good idea ?!?!?!?!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
19th Sep 2001, 01:42
Arming pilots?

Before I worked for the airlines, I liked that idea. After working for the airlines I understand the reason why thit or even a armed sky martial is a bad idea.

With an armed pilot or sky martial on an aircraft, the Hijacker or terrorist does not need to smuggle anything on to the flight. Just have 10 of them on the aircraft and overpower the person with the pistol.

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.