PDA

View Full Version : Mixing of Inbound & Outbound Pax

Peter47
28th Jun 2014, 09:28
I'm not sure that this is the right forum, but here goes.

I've just flown from AMS with easyJet. Whilst Schengen and non Schengen flows are segregated (piers M & H with connections to common holding gates), there does not appear to be any segregation of incoming & outgoing non-Schengen pax after security. I don't see this being a problem, all destinations served appear to be in the UK which a common security regime but I thought that there was a requirement to segregate inbound & outbound passengers. Presumably an exception has been made in this case.

750XL
28th Jun 2014, 10:35
I believe it's a UK only requirement to segregate pax due to DFT security requirements.

To put it simply, in the DFT's eyes security screening in other countries may not be up to the same standards as UK screening, so pax arriving from another country could potentially have something on them which they could pass to a pax in the departure hall.

Crazy :}

plans123
28th Jun 2014, 19:27
Peter, at AMS they do indeed mix in the departures hall. What you didn't mention though, is that AMS they go through passport control to get into the departures area, but go through airport security at the gate.

Piltdown Man
20th Jul 2014, 14:26
Presumably an exception has been made in this case.

You normally find the UK is the exception. I think we waste more time and money on this matter than anyone else. And whatever ludicrous security check you can think of, the UK will implement it first. Then, the local Stasi will make the check even more onerous and then have the cheek to tell you that the check is required because of European legislation.

An example: In Italy, they really don't care what a crew carries because they'll have their hands on a superb weapon in a few minutes. So they spend a reasonable amount of time verifying who you are, using crew lists provided behind the scenes, to make sure you are meant to be where you are. This means it's difficult for the wrong guys to get airside. But in the UK, if you show any old badge (inc. a foreign buss or carpark pass) you'll be granted airside access, just so long as you don't have a prohibited yoghurt or pointy stick.

Police officers, wherever they are, set off the metal detectors. Could it be the guns and handcuffs they are carrying? But in Europe, police officers only have to flash their airport ID's and pass airside. Yet in the UK they do the same, but also get patted down (through their stab vests) - to make sure they are not carrying prohibited liquids like yoghurt or honey. Apparently CS gas not in a plastic bag is OK.

And then we have airside catering and outlet supplies...

So I wouldn't worry about things like security. It is so badly designed and broken that anything can be moved anywhere by anyone, if a little effort is put into the process.

PM

PS. What we need is profiling.

STN Ramp Rat
21st Jul 2014, 20:58
I understand that AMS will segregate at some point in the near future and will move to central search from gate search at this time

mixture
21st Jul 2014, 21:56
I think we waste more time and money on this matter than anyone else. And whatever ludicrous security check you can think of, the UK will implement it first.

I don't know.....

I think the jittery knee-jerky post 9/11 USA comes waaaay ahead of the UK !

They've got it all ... everyone entering the US has to pay an annual subscription fee for a magic ESTA, fingerprinting and photographing all passengers, full body scanners, gun toting air marshals on all flights etc. etc. etc.

And of course heaven forbid you're a non-US citizen wanting to learn to fly in the US..... enjoy the extra scrutiny and form filling !

plans123
21st Jul 2014, 22:48
STN Ramp Rat, i spend a stupid amount of time at AMS and considering the layout of the area through passport control and where inbound passengers enter and etc, I can't see how they would manage it without effectively tearing it down and starting from scratch.

Piltdown Man
25th Jul 2014, 07:33
The Rat is correct. AMS is building up rather than along in many areas to achieve what he describes.

PM

plans123
25th Jul 2014, 16:41
I was kicking my heels on Tuesfor 3 hours at AMS and had a good old mooch about.

Where the likes of Sleazyjet etc come in, it is indeed segregated. But in Terminal 1 and 2, its not. Terminal 1 is having a lot of cosmetic work done, but none that I can see that would segregate and around D spur there could be a possibilty to do this, but it would need a major overhaul and the delights of the Irish pub etc would only be accessable for a few rather than everybody.