PDA

View Full Version : European JAR licence conversion to UK EASA

V1 VR V2
27th Jun 2014, 14:39
Hi,

I currently hold a JAR CPL MEIR issued under the Greek (HCAA) but hold a class one UK medical.

I am looking to convert my licence as no longer flying in Greece to a UK EASA one. I am a UK Citizen if this makes a difference and used to hold a UK JAA PPL with MEIR ratings and ATPL ground school.

Would I be able to convert my licence over the counter service and can anyone offer any advice who may have been down a similar route?

I did try the CAA but got little help on the phone :ugh:

Many Thanks

BEagle
27th Jun 2014, 16:04
Have a look at CAP804, Part I Section 3 part A 'State of Licence Issue'.

As you state that you hold a UK-issued Class 1 Medical Certificate, you should apply to the UK CAA for conversion of your JAR-FCL licence.

Make sure that all ratings and certificates are valid at the time of conversion!

V1 VR V2
27th Jun 2014, 17:07
Hi BEagle,

Thank you for the response and information. Do you know if this is a service that can be done over the counter or does it need to be post?

My MEIR has currently expired, how does this make a difference?

Thank you for your help.

Curtis E Carr
27th Jun 2014, 18:39
Which NAA actually holds your medical documents? Could it be that it is Greece but you underwent your last medical in the UK, in which case you will have to carry out the process of changing your state of licence issue which is not done over the counter at Handbrake House.

V1 VR V2
27th Jun 2014, 22:29
The UK CAA holds my medical certificate, i have always had my medical carried out in the UK with UK based AME.

BEagle
28th Jun 2014, 12:01
V1 VR V2 wrote:
My MEIR has currently expired, how does this make a difference?

Because when you receive your EASA licence from the UK CAA, it will show on the reverse side of the licence that the IR has expired. Even if it had only expired by a day, an IRE may not sign your licence to renew the IR if it shown on the reverse side.

If you convert your licence with an expired IR, when you subsequently renew the IR, your licence will then have to be re-issued. That will incur an additional fee which you wouldn't have had to pay if you'd renewed your IR before converting your licence.

V1 VR V2
29th Jun 2014, 13:33
Thank you for the heads up BEagle!

shaftsburn
30th Jun 2014, 07:00
I went through the process a year ago. If the UK CAA already hold your medical records, then it should be just a case of submitting SRG1136 and the required docs to Flight Crew Licencing.
It's not eligible for counter service until you receive an email from FCL saying that all their checks are done. Then you could turn up at Gatwick with your Greek licence and get the UK EASA licence issued the same day.
The process involves the UK CAA sending a "DOC 155 Request" to the HCAA to get your licence details. I would suggest making contact with the appropriate person/dept in the HCAA that deals with these requests, if you're looking for a speedy transfer.
UK FCL consider this type of application to be low priority (or they did I went through it), and was told it could take months to process. If you have a valid reason then it could potentially be expedited.

SW1
10th Mar 2017, 13:37
Im in slightly the same situation: although. My licence has expired by a year my medical expired by 5 and type rating by 4 years.

What im finding confusing is this statement:

Note 2: Applicants wishing to obtain a UK CAA EU (EASA) Licence, who hold, or have held, a JAA or EU (EASA) medical certificate or licence issued by an aviation authority other than the UK CAA, must change their “State of Licence Issue” to the UK. Please see the CAA webpage for full details: How to obtain a UK EASA Licence if you hold a non-UK medical certificate/licence – Changing “State of Licence Issue (SOLI)[/”

My intial and previous renewals were always done in the UK- so my competent authority dont have my medical records. the medical or licence bit im finding confusing. Do I have to go back to my current licensing authority do an intial medical with them and then start the SOLI process?

Some Aemc ( which I have to go to in my case) are flat out refusing if you have had/hold a licence from another state.

Any ideas?

Thanks