PDA

View Full Version : PPL Training. Big Bloke and C172 Seat belts??

Elron Hubward
27th Jun 2014, 02:47
Had a good look around the interwebs but I can't find the information I need.

Being something of a big lad I have a problem with the C172.

I can just about squeeze myself into one, but the lap belt limits how far forward I can have the chair and still fasten the belt.

This wouldn't be an issue overmuch, but with the shoulder belt fastened I can't lean forward far enough to be able to reach around my own bulk safely reach all the controls... which obviously is an issue. Can't fly a plane if you can't reach the trim control :(

I found this vid on mememememetube of a chap flying a PA-28 that has shoulder belt fitted, but he's not using it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T70jE-59YA

I'm assuming that this is legal, but can't find official conformation of this anywhere. Anybody know the official line on this?

Also, I'm aware that airline passengers have access to belt extenders, which would solve the problem at a stroke.

Are belt extenders legal for use by pilots in light aircraft and does anyobdy know where I could get my hands on some in the UK?

N.B. Posters of "lose some weight fatty" type comments will be tracked down and thrown to the kittens. :) I'm working on it; just don't want to set back my PPL training any further than I have to. :ok:

Big Pistons Forever
27th Jun 2014, 16:11
There are 2 styles of seatbelts for the C172, fixed and inertial reel. You were probably in a airplane with the fixed belts. The inertial reel type are like what you see in cars. There is one belt that starts on the floor has a sliding belt buckle and then goes to a reel in the roof.

This style will move as you lean forward but will lock if a sudden strain is applied. I would suggest you find a flight school with an airplane with this type of belt and try it out.

cockney steve
28th Jun 2014, 11:42
loads of seat-belt extensions on fleabay, iirc, it was under "aircraft spare parts" that I saw them.
Don't wish to harm the kitties, so i'll just say, "every peound saved on pies, is a pound to spend flying"....also,of course, you'll go further and faster as the weight comes off.:)

Pilot DAR
30th Jun 2014, 00:38
It won't be the answer you're looking for, and no disrespect intended, but bear in mind that any but the newest 172's are certified for crash load of 9G, with a 170 pound occupant weight per seat. Though there is no "limitation" on the weight of occupants, crash survivability goes down proportionate to occupant weight exceeding 170 pounds.

From a maintenance standpoint, the older Cessna seats and tracks are prone to cracking under load. They are a weak point of all of those planes. This was very effectively corrected in the newer Cessnas.

Genghis the Engineer
30th Jun 2014, 07:37
DAR is correct.

Realistically, using a seat belt extender is possible, and easy to either buy or make up. There is no law that requires use of a shoulder harness either.

And so long as you never have anything resembling a crash, and your instructor and/or passenger can fit in and do whatever they need to do, you're absolutely fine.

Crash, and your chances are poor. This is I'm afraid just the laws of physics - those seats and harness attachments are designed for 170lb. This is true of virtually all light aeroplanes - the exceptions are some modern microlights which are certified for higher loads (in some cases up to 130kg / 187lb / 20.5 st), and aerobatic aeroplanes which are often certified allowing for obviously higher g loadings, but also the weight of a parachute that you don't require (especially when not flying aerobatics).

G

Pilot DAR
30th Jun 2014, 12:51
Also bear in mind that it is possible to load an aircraft with people so as to be ahead of the forward C of G limit. I have flown Cessna 310, 182, and 175 floatplane which required "special" loading to be in the C of G range. In two of these cases, passengers were carried in the back seat(s), while front right went unoccupied.