PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on offshore VFR regulations

leblanc_frank
26th Jun 2014, 00:46
I have been tasked by my chief pilot to do research on helicopter offshore platform passenger transport. We have two Bell Long Rangers L4 and have been approached by an oil company to see if we could provide service for them. We are a small operation in the Caribbean and basically just do charters to transport people and cargo from point A to point B.

To get it approved by our ruling body, we have to abide by all FAA regulations.

All I have found so far is chapter 10 of the AIM:
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim/aim1002.html

I am looking to find more information that could help us satisfy the requirements. If anyone could help point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

rotorboy
26th Jun 2014, 01:44
So , I cant download this to double check ( due to my awesome location) but this my friend should keep you busy for hours.

http://www.ogp.org.uk/pubs/390.pdf

its a good start.

Oil company aviation guys go off this as their "bible" so to speak. I cant tell you how many time i've heard " the OGP standard is "" ".

Good Luck

RB

Gomer Pylot
26th Jun 2014, 02:13
Read Part 135. That's what covers the operation. Here, you must have a Part 135 certificate and follow that regulation. It covers all the legal requirements, although prudence might dictate more conservative operations. None of the UK regs apply to operations with FAA oversight, although they might provide useful ideas.

Gordy
26th Jun 2014, 05:08
Agreed...UK rules do not apply. Just part 135---obviously you will need pop out floats but you can use single engine.

rotorboy
26th Jun 2014, 10:21
Obviously you have to abide by 135 or what ever governing body you operate under.

I dont know why either of you quote "UK " rules, other than the OGP guidelines handbook hosted on a UK site.

I posted the link to the OGP because if you have never operated for an oil company in an offshore environment there is a lot of relevant information. Audit forms, crew qualifications, flight following , required training, equiptment, record keeping etc. Almost every oil company these days expects you to follow these guidelines.

Id say reading through this would be a good start if you want to fly for an oil and gas producer offshore.

RB

leblanc_frank
26th Jun 2014, 14:58
Thanks everyone

The OGP manual is full of relevant information that will be very usefull, thanks rotorboy.
I will have to go through FAR 135 as well because it is those requirements that will apply. I did my flight school in Canada, so I am unfamiliar with the FARs and the task of going through it all seems intimidating. Are there any specific articles that are more relevant to the area I am looking for?

Gordy
26th Jun 2014, 15:32
Start applying for a part 135 Air Carrier certificate now----it can be a 2 year process to get it depending upon which FSDO you come under.

rotorboy
27th Jun 2014, 06:56
Frank,

I think some people are missing the point from your orginal post.

Correct me if your wrong.

Not knowing where you operate I assume you are saying that your governing body uses regs that mimic part 135 regulations, not that you are require to have and operate under a FAA part 135 certificate. To hold a a FAA air operating certificate you must be a US company owned by a US citizen.

As far as Part 135 regs go, to fly off shore all that is relevant is VFR wx min, Requiremts for floats ( extended overwater operations) , PFD/ Rafts, . I dont have a FAR with me so I cant quote it directly.

What really becomes more important and relevant is what is in your Operations Manuel. That enables you or limits operations. ( offshore mins, flight following, sar , night, med-evac, fuel min's, deck landings training requirements etc.) Ops manuels for part 135 are operator specific and approved by your POI (operations inspector for the FAA).

hope that helps

RB

leblanc_frank
27th Jun 2014, 19:13
Yes exactly, we are in a small Caribbean country. We do not wish to apply for part 135 certification. Our program development will be similar and it will be approved by the local authority once we comply. Basically, if we can meet the requirements of the FAA, the process for obtaining the operating licence is pretty straightforward.