PDA

View Full Version : JAR ATPL Feasibility Study ?

Canada Goose
20th Nov 2001, 21:29
There are quite a few things that are not clear to me and as I currently do not live in a JAA state, are not so easy for me to find out. So once again, I would like to poll the Ppruners for their advice and insight. It’s a bit long winded, so please bear with me.

Firstly, I checked out the JAA web site and it had no information that I could find that detailed exactly what the requirements are for any of the JAR licenses, not to mention the ATPL (frozen or otherwise).

From what I can gather thus far from reading other posts, JAR training can only be given by JAR authorized FTO’s. From my understanding the USA is not a JAA state, but quite obviously various FTO’s have been checked out and authorized to provide the required training etc.

The other day a huge light bulb went off in my head, and I had the idea of perhaps being able to combine a family holiday to Florida this winter and complete, or get a head start on a significant chunk of required flying portions. However, I’ve a sneaking suspicion that it won’t be just as easy as that for me to begin training. For example, the first thing one requires, or at any rate is advised to get, is a Cat I medical (is that JAR or CAA ??). The medical itself doesn’t worry me too much, I already have a Canadian Cat I, and I feel sure the tests and standards won’t vary significantly (I take it that as here, eyesight corrected to 20/20 with specs is OK). However, the cost and hassle factor does. From what I can gather people in the UK have to go to LHW to have it done and it costs hundreds of pounds (cf. $80 - $90 here in Canada with most towns and cities having several authorized aviation medical doctors who can perform this function).

The Cat I medical aside, is it feasible to do take on some of the flying portions (e.g. multi-IFR) before having done any other training or exams for the JAR ATPL - given that I will very soon have my Canadian CPL and multi rating (i.e. over 200+ hours of flying time and not a rank beginner). ?

At some point in the not too distant future I hope to return to the UK with my family and then begin the training for the JAR ATPL. It would be nice to have done all the flying, or at least most of the flying portions before returning to do the ATPL written exams. Cost and weather being two factors to back this line of thinking up, not to mention that my nearest and dearest wants a sunny winter vacation with family, away from the ice and snow.

As you can see I have many questions that need answering. Am I way off base or out to lunch ? Anyone care to comment/advise, not to mention provide me with a link to a site that spells out clearly the JAR ATPL requirements ?

Thanks very much.
CG. :confused:

gazelle507
20th Nov 2001, 22:34
Goose
There is no conversion from a non JAA license to a JAA one. You will need an ICAO PPL, no doubt you have that. Which part of Canada are you in as there is a CAA medical examiner in Vancouver(did I spell that right??). You have to pass all 14 written exams, take the CPL skills test(having done the required CPL training at a JAA approved FTO) and the I/R skills test(having completed the full 55hrs course at a JAA approved FTO)All this together with a MEP rating and MCC.
Good luck.

redsnail
21st Nov 2001, 15:35
Canada Goose,
You'll have to do the initial Class one medical at Gatwick, UK. If you have a CPL and at least 500 hours it is *only* 189 pounds. If not, it's 400 pounds.
As for the rest of the "good news", it is all spelled out at the CAA website (http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/pld/fcl/fcl_home.asp).
The JAA website is a nightmare to navigate around. The UK one is a fraction easier.
Good luck.
(I am "converting" my Australian ATPL to a JAR ATPL)

mutant
21st Nov 2001, 20:02
CG
Dr Knipping in Toronto is CAA and JAA approved, 416-253-9769.
I dont know the position on whether he can do your initial medical or not. He didnt have his JAA certificate whemn I was looking to get mt initial JAA Class 1 so it was off to Gatwick for me!!
As far as the exact requirements for flight training via the Modular route check the UK CAA web-site and go to the Safety Regulations Group section. You should find all the info. there.
As far as the wisdom of completing the Multi-IFR in Canada or the States, all time is good time and the more experience you have the greater your comfort level once you get into the training environment in the UK.
Mutant :)

Canada Goose
21st Nov 2001, 20:53
Gazelle507 – Thanks for the reply. From a previous posting I found out that unfortunately there was no conversion available, mind you I was asking more about the multi IFR at that time. So, written exams and MCC aside, my assumption from what you are saying is that with respect to the flying portions, there will be a CPL skill test (hopefully most of the ‘training’ criteria may have been met by my Canadian CPL and so I would be able to complete the CPL skills test in a quicker timeframe), I/R skills test with non-negotiable reduction of 55 hours course (though possible 5 hrs credit if holding an IR from a foreign state), and an MEP. Again for the MEP, I’m assuming that there is no minimum requirement in terms of hours training on a twin, thus in theory, if after your first dual flight or two the instructor can see the student is ready for the flight test then the time and cost can be shortened.

Red snail – thanks also for the reply. Unfortunately I don’t have 500 hours, so it would appear that a very expensive trip to Gatwick is on the cards at some point. Thanks for the web link and good luck with your conversion, at least you have an ATPL already ;).

Mutant - Thanks for the TO heads up. Hopefully he is now able to the initial medical at not quite the outrageous costs charged at Gatwick. Mind you, its got me thinking that my aviation doctor here in Ottawa, he’s the Head of the Aviation Medical profession and did his training at Biggin Hill, so fingers crossed. Check your remarks about the modular route as well, not to mention the wisdom of continuing with flight training over here in the meantime ;) – cheers. BTW – I just picked up your e-mail as well. Thanks a lot. I’ll be replying tout suite.