PDA

View Full Version : Medial fitness prior flight - where to find it?

sascha410
21st Jun 2014, 12:58
Hi there,
For the past couple of days I have been through most of the CARS, COM, Air Law, OPS, google but i was not able to find firm definition / law paragraph or any other unbeatable argument which require the pilot to turn down the flight due his present condition.
I found on several places some minor references but I also remember some more direct definition that do not leave place for doubt but I cannot find it now.
Does it ring a bell out there, can anyone recall it?
Thanks a lot.

Phororhacos
21st Jun 2014, 20:48
this is printed on my (UK issued EASA) medical certificate.. I don't know if that is what you were looking for.

MED.A.020 Decrease in medical fitness
(a) Licence holders shall not exercise the privileges of their licence and related ratings or certificates at any time when they:
(1) are aware of any decrease in their medical fitness that might render them unable to safely exercise those privileges;

sascha410
22nd Jun 2014, 04:02
Thanks a lot Phororhacos. I was distracted with mess around me so I forgot to look at the most obvious place. Thank you.

gingernut
24th Jun 2014, 21:53
I'M SAFE :)

cavortingcheetah
25th Jun 2014, 07:47
Ah yes, the old conundrum of a horse feathered chestnut.

This is what 'it' might say.

a) Licence holders shall not exercise the privileges of their licence and related ratings or certificates at any time when they:
(1) are aware of any decrease in their medical fitness that might render them unable to safely exercise those privileges.

But this is the all important addendum:

The medical restrictions above are subject to the following two requirements:

In all cases either one or other of the two requirements stated below will take precedence over and above any medical restriction or intention provided by the UK CAA or its medical representative arm.

a) There must be standby crew available to substitute for an unfit crew member as mentioned in (1) above.

b) The Crewing or Flight Operations of the the airline involved must support any application by the pilot concerned to be relieved of flying duty due to sickness or incapacity.

In the absence of either standby crew or company support, wheelchairs may not be used bu operating crews on the airside part of the relevant airfield in order to obtain access to the aircraft unless that operating flight crew member is in possession of a valid Class I medical certificate.

sascha410
25th Jun 2014, 09:12
interesting reading indeed... Thank you