PDA

View Full Version : graduates of helicentre uk

wingslikehercules
21st Jun 2014, 03:52
Hello people, was just on facebook and stumbled upon the helicentre uk page. Had a look on the website just out of interest as to whats going on in the UK as I originally come from there. I noticed they even had scholarships and read something about it's because of the high demand for helicopter pilots (lol). Anyway, they seem to be churning out a fair few students now and I'm wondering what they get up to after completion of their cpl. The only jobs I can think of in the UK for low hour guys are flight instructor (which of course there are less than there are students) and offshore oil stuff (which states you have to go to Bristow academy to bypass the turbine requirements). Anyone have any idea if these students are getting jobs or just being fed the usual flight school bs then being left out cold? ye punctuation sucks im tired ok.

g-mady
21st Jun 2014, 18:08
In my 11 years in this industry I have to admit that a large number of people (maybe a third) ive worked with have been graduates of helicentre.

I don't agree with all that they do but the number of people and generally decent standard of pilots from there must speak for itself. I suppose I don't know how many are still looking for work though... Just the ones who are already in work.

wingslikehercules
21st Jun 2014, 20:46
OK, thanks g mandy. what do you do? what other roles are possible in the uk?

Bravo73
22nd Jun 2014, 05:40
In my 11 years in this industry I have to admit that a large number of people (maybe a third) ive worked with have been graduates of helicentre.

g-mady,

You've put your location as Leicester. Helicentre are based at Leicester. On that basis alone, it's hardly surprising that you've met plenty of pilots who have been trained at Helicentre.

For the sake of balance, I have met hardly any Helicentre 'graduates'. Since I have been working offshore, I can't think of any. But then again, this is a very small sample size so YMMV.

tu154
22nd Jun 2014, 10:04
It's only Bristow that require you to have been through their academy, the other two operators have equivalent training programs during line training that meet the OGP requirements.
In my own experience, haven't meet many HeliCentre graduates, but again location may have been the factor, London for several years and Aberdeen for 1.

Bravo73
22nd Jun 2014, 10:29
It's only Bristow that require you to have been through their academy, the other two operators have equivalent training programs during line training that meet the OGP requirements.

No, they don't.

Camp Freddie
22nd Jun 2014, 15:31
In my part of the world, one of the customers won't allow co-pilots on their flights that doesn't meet OGP, so new co-pilots have to fly for the other customers.

If all the customers had the same policy like this it would effectively prevent new co pilots from getting started at all.

All these extra requirements have unintended consequences.

CHC/Bond are as far as I know still realistic about this.

MartinCh
22nd Jun 2014, 16:35
FYI, there's Helicentre in Liverpool as well and by the info on their website, that company was 'around' for 2 years longer than Helicentre Aviation (currently) in Leicester. I know the mention of scholarships points towards Leicester, just a detail that Liverpool is still in UK, as is Leicester.

While your curiosity/question is understandable and legitimate, it's like asking whether the people who train at H/A Leicester are skilled, safety conscious, motivated, beyond having money and time for training/passing flight tests. I noticed certain amount of Continental Europeans training there currently, so if they go and fly for NVH or paramilitary somewhere, or even at different continent (or little island, for that matter), then yes, those in industry may not get to see many of their graduates. Mind you, this company has picked up some decent contracts for inspections, has AS350 on order, couple Jetrangers, 3 or 4 Cabris and more ordered and expanded a lot past few years. So speaking of these changes/expansion, there will be more graduates to come, UK or elsewhere. A school's name on CV is not everything, although some marketing people at Bristow Academy would like to think otherwise.

If I were to go by my own experience (with own and their training in UK), then the little school near/in Swansea is great and one particular Heli-Air Wycombe PPL grad disappointing. Graduates, their skills and aptitudes, personality etc, is individual, so one can't generalise on success/placement of graduates 'by being seen' around or where they trained. Yes, correlation, but too far from being causative/rule. If Helicentre Leicester trained 20 Belgians and 10 UK/local students who then got jobs elsewhere or couldn't make it, then they'd not be 'visible' as H/A grads.

Once you get info from Bond and remaining UK offshore company insiders, they can give you rough idea about their workplace. I so far found it being only UK having this 'Bristow trained' policy for junior copilot wannabes. Australia or US based Bristow vacancies are more about bit more time and not necessarily IR(H) either, although in US, it's normally part of training close to commercial.

As for doing training with H/A or not, I would see it relatively positive, subject to having funds for training and bit more/reserve. The hiring of FIs depends on recent graduates/FIC grads batch, people leaving for other jobs and so on. Definitely higher chance of job after training than with small one or two ship school with career instructor. Don't forget that the fleet in Leicester allows upgrade within company into charter in R44 or Jetranger, too. Training in small outfit with experienced isntructor has its benefits, but then you're left to look for job elsewhere and be unknown quantity for another company.

I think I saw some good value crystal ball on ebay, if you want to know what's gonna be happening in one or two years' time regarding jobs overall.

Say H/C picks up contract training Nigerian nationals or people from ME as cadets, like at least one UK heli school I came across online (and briefly at that field), then the school will be even busier than right now (read 600hrs a month on FB page), yet you'd not see ANY graduates around in UK jobs, as they've got invitation ticket for twin copiloting job (type rating, FSI etc) week or two after flight test.

It's best to ask the company/staff for some stats and recently placed students. I was told that half of he FI course grads (by Mr G Day) already have jobs lined up elsewhere and those who show interest, are likely to be hired if ticking boxes. Right now if you're job ready and ask for FI job there, you've got high chance of being hired. In 6-12 months' time, there may be too many own zero to hero graduates taking up FI jobs.

As newly minted FI in UK, the supervision restriction is hassle for small schools that are busy mainly on weekends, so choosing bigger and busy enough school may be worth it.

Sir Korsky
23rd Jun 2014, 00:22
The reality is, nobody could really care less where you went to school. After a few years in the industry, it is never spoken of again. You'll meet and make plenty of networking friends as you go along.

whoateallthepies
23rd Jun 2014, 04:44
Sorry, I'm out of touch. "OGP"?