PDA

View Full Version : Urgent - need ATP IFR training/ride...

rbaron
19th Jun 2014, 18:42
I'm doing a rotorcraft add-on to my FAA ATP - need a recommendation for a good, efficient and inexpensive IFR school, prefer western US where I can get ready for the IFR ride and get it done asap. Already passed the FAA exam, have Canadian commercial heli w/IFR.

Found a school in OR but having trouble getting an examiner so looking at options...

I'd love to do it in BH06 but can't afford it so R-22 it is...

Thanks in advance for any help!

rbaron

hueyracer
19th Jun 2014, 19:03
I know a couple of guys who did it at Red Eagle Aviation in Kalispell-cheap, VERY good and highly recommendable…

rbaron
19th Jun 2014, 19:12
Thanks for that lead - just checked and they're using Schweizers for $325/hr. Prefer to stick to the R-22 as I've flown it before and it's cheaper.

I've found a couple of places at $250 dual, including the one where the examiner isn't available for several weeks. The other (KSEA) is supposed to have an IFR instructor call back - the young fellow who answered the phone seemed unsure about doing an ATP ride.

Keep 'em coming! Thanks!

bladegrip
19th Jun 2014, 23:09
Hillsboro Aviation in Oregon is probably your best bet. The Portland-based DPE Mark H is a great guy..

Best of luck

krypton_john
20th Jun 2014, 00:44
Web site says $245 + instructor $55 for IFR training?

http://www.redeagleaviation.com/USA_Heli%20flight%20costs.pdf

R22 would be hard work flying under the hood?

rbaron
20th Jun 2014, 02:44
Dunno! Maybe that's a block time rate when you buy the package. I got a higher rate from the person that answered the phone.

I did the Canadian IFR in an R22 and it was fine - not sure why it would be any more work?

Maybe I'll call back tomorrow and see if I get a different story - that was definitely the place I called!

krypton_john
20th Jun 2014, 04:10
Maybe their web site is not up to date but I'd hold them to it!

I don't know but I'm just guessing based on prejudice that the R22 is less stable and can't be trimmed like an S300 to the point where it doesn't invert with a moment's inattention :-)

hueyracer
20th Jun 2014, 06:18
Seriously-you only need a check ride…

Trust me in this:
Go to Kalispell…..it´s worth it….

There is only one airfield with only 2-3 different approaches available.

Go there, do 1 hour to get familiar in the helo…
Do the checkride-done.

I have been there myself-and Jim (the guy owning the company) is amazingly well connected….he organized an examiner straight up….if you wait for a FAA inspector-you will be waiting for 6 months probably..

The whole show is going to cost you between 1000-1500 USD….that´s NOTHING compared to what other people pay...

rbaron
20th Jun 2014, 20:37
Sorted - thanks to all that made suggestions.