PDA

View Full Version : Lufthansa Training in Arizona

Capt. Spud
23rd May 2002, 01:46
I just wanted to know what type of pilot training Lufthansa is doing out here in Arizona?

Where do they fly out of ? Is it their cadets doing ab initio training?

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Craig

Pegasus77
23rd May 2002, 07:22
Yes, it's their ab-initio-students.
They do the largest part of their practical training in Arizona. Theory is done in Germany, as well as a small practical and simulator-part.

Corporal Jones
23rd May 2002, 07:52
When I was in Arizona a couple of years ago, they were flying out of Ryan Field, near Tucson.

Bigears
23rd May 2002, 17:13
Lufthansa Flight Training Info (http://www.lft-online.de/englisch/pr_fa.htm)

Denti
23rd May 2002, 23:55
Lufthansas US flight training company (ATCA for airline training center arizona) is based at Goodyear municipal airport but they own Mobile airport. They even have a private ILS at this airport. ATCA does not only train Lufti pilots but pilots from other airlines as well and there is the selection training for the german airforce pilots.

Denti

Pandora
24th May 2002, 15:57
The Lufties train at Mobile, in the middle of nowhere, just at the end of the mountain range that all the drug runners drop sites are behind. It is very clean and efficient looking from the air, and has something written on it like 'Lufty pilots only - everyone else keep off - especially you BA scum from Williams.' So if they have their own airfield, why do they keep hogging the circuit at Coolidge, with their ridiculously large circuits? ;)

The - Elite
24th May 2002, 22:53
This may sound like a silly question but, the theory side at Lufthansa Flight Training, is it done in English or German?

Thanks for reply's.

hptaccv
25th May 2002, 02:34
..yes we are based at Goodyear Municipal Airport. Mobile, just southwest of the Estrellas also belongs to ATCA (as explained in a previous post), where we have an ILS for training purposes.

To answer the questions of the original post; The training here consists of two phases, an intial flight training phase on Piper Archers (the slow ones in Lufthansa colors), and the instrument phase conducted on Beech Bonanzas (the faster -and louder- ones mainly yellow blue)..

Theory is mainly coducted in german, with english study material.
Flight instructors here are all american (with one or two english guys thrown in), as well as the school staff. A few of the check pilots and most of the management staff are german.

Just a general question; What other airlines keep themselves a flight school here in the vicinity of Phoenix or Arizona? i heard Sabena (used to?) train in Tucson..

--Pandora

I didn't know that the british were based at williams! Seemed quite forlorn and quite the last time I was there. Where are you guys doing most of your flying?

I heard a fellow australian voice in the rt the other day, any aussies training around here?

cheers!

Using Rsv fuel
25th May 2002, 12:34
Sabena Flight Academy is still alive and based at Scottsdale.

... Maybe not the best school to find a job anymore but that's another story...

I did my training there 5 years ago, flying C172RGs then Seneca IIIs.
They are now using brand new Archers, Saratogas and Seneca Vs, all painted in Sabena colors.

We used to fly a lot around Coolidge, Casa Grande, Tucson, Ryan Field etc.... Request top of the stack! ;)

Had a lot of fun out there!

By the way, is KCKY still used as an NDB??

Have fun!

hptaccv
25th May 2002, 15:35
..yep, KCKY still gives as stable an ADF needle as ever..

..the heat down here is being cranked up quite a bit now, going on summer as it is, but it's still loads of fun..

We're also doing most of our approaches around Casa Grande, Ryan, Tucson etc..

cheers!