PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start?

Darren515
19th Jun 2014, 09:17
Hi guys,

I'm brand new to flying having worked in the dispatch side of the industry for the past 15months. Recently took my first lesson and I have my second this coming Friday 20th June '14. I realise that flying isnt a cheap past time by any stretch and I'm willing to accept the initial 'set-up' cost required to get me going.

Can anyone recommend the sort of kit, books etc that a new student needs to buy?

Any and all help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Gertrude the Wombat
19th Jun 2014, 11:38
Can anyone recommend the sort of kit, books etc that a new student needs to buy?
Yes, your school / instructor can and should make appropriate recommendations.

They might not have done so at the first lesson, as that's more of a "trial flight" to see whether you actually want to learn to fly.

worrab
19th Jun 2014, 12:05
For the first few lessons you don't need a great deal. It's worth getting a book which explains the lessons so that you can read up in advance.

At some stage you'll have to get to grips with the exams that you need to pass to gain your licence and there is some outlay needed for that.

To some extent, it depends on your intended timescale. If you have in mind getting your licence in a month then ask your instructor for the complete list now - these things don't always arrive immediately. If you're taking a more leisurely approach then I expect (s)he'll tell you what's needed as you progress.

Enjoy your flying - it's a great privilege!

Pull what
19th Jun 2014, 13:04
It's worth getting a book which explains the lessons so that you can read up in advance.

Its in fact essential to get and read a book on the PPL course. You should read the long briefing for each lesson before the air exercise, indeed a good instructor would have already steered you in this direction and prompted you to read the next chapter before your lesson. The majority of actual learning takes place away from the aircraft, use this 'away' time wisely and you will not waste your money in the air plus you will become a better pilot.

Armchairflyer
19th Jun 2014, 14:04
As posted before, ask your instructor, he/she will tell you and has a much better awareness of your personal needs as a student and the precise circumstances of your (planned) flight training than anyone here.

Having said that, if you find the time (money not so much an issue in this case), you may consider downloading the FAA Airplane Flying Handbook (http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aircraft/airplane_handbook/) (42 MB) and the FAA Handbook of Aeronautical knowledge (http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/) (109 MB, both free) and getting a copy of "Stick and rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche.

Enjoy your flight training, but be prepared to become an addict ;)

The500man
19th Jun 2014, 18:40
First of all don't buy a student starter kit for several hundred quid! Nearly everything in it will prove useless to you at a later date. From my experience I suggest the following.

The Air Pilot's Manual book 1 contains the syllabus and a guide to lessons so that would be useful. See if you can find it on eBay second hand. I'd suggest that method for obtaining the other books as well, and I'd suggest going through them in order. If you can get the first two books done and get onto the navigation book by the time you're doing circuits then you'll be ready to go on navigation lessons after your first solo. When you get the navigation book also remember to get a CRP-1 whizz wheel.

A kneeboard would also be useful, but ask your instructor to show you what PLOG's the school uses so you can buy an appropriate size. You won't really need it until it comes to learning navigation but you probably will need to have something you can write down radio stuff on and they are pretty cheap.

I'd leave everything else until post solo. When you start navigation and only then, buy a map, plotter (something small enough to use in the air during training/test), and a marker pen/pencil.

If you haven't given up by this stage a good headset would be a worthwhile investment and that is about it.

Depending on where you live (close to the airfield?) an airband scanner may be a good idea for developing radio listening skills and also to check the local weather. Might be a good thing to get along with book 2 for when you learn about meteorology.

Hope that helps give you some idea.