PDA

View Full Version : Split Duty Question

Laneez
19th Jun 2014, 03:31
Hi can anybody here give me an answer to the following "is there a max time when doing a split duty ie 30mins/45mins etc from on chocks to hotel ?" or does the hotel have to be a max distance from airport if using one. I cant seem to find a JAR/EASA/ICAO ref.........Thanks

dc9-32
19th Jun 2014, 07:14
I believe it will be specified in your company ops manual.

Low life
21st Jun 2014, 06:32
This is from a large, low cost section 7

Travelling time between the aerodrome and the accommodation and vice versa is part of the rest period. However, in such circumstances, if the travelling time between the aerodrome and the accommodation is more than 30 minutes each way then the rest period will be increased by the amount the total time spent travelling exceeds one hour

Phileas Fogg
23rd Jun 2014, 02:35
Low life,

But your quote refers to "rest period" when the OP was asking about a "split duty".

It's a long time since I did crewing, brain cells have faded etc, but I've a feeling the "split" is actually the period occupied in a quiet and comfortable place or in a hotel room if a longer split.

On a split duty one remains on an active Flying Duty Period, one isn't actually on a "Rest Period".

dc9-32
23rd Jun 2014, 05:50
In my days a split duty was an extension of a flying duty by means of a reduced rest period.

Phileas Fogg
23rd Jun 2014, 07:25
In my days a split duty was an extension of a flying duty by means of a reduced rest period.

In my days a minimum rest period might have been 11 or 12 hours which, under certain circumstances, may have been reduced by a maximum of 1 hour down to 11 hours or 10 hours.

Anything less than this simply wasn't a "Rest Period"

dallas
23rd Jun 2014, 13:15
I believe it will be specified in your company ops manual.
...and should be defined as something like onchocks+30 to ETD-30, halved and added onto the duty day, with a min of 3, max 10 hours.

for example:

Land 1200, depart 1730 = 5h30 on ground
Subtract 30mins from each end of ground time = 4h30
Halve it = 2h15 allowable extension of duty day