PDA

View Full Version : Airbus APU autoshut down during auto engine start

lunarair
18th Jun 2014, 08:46
If APU autoshut down during engine start, start abortion results. How would you handle it?Dry cranking necessary? How? External bleed (If no engine started)? Crossbleed? (If one engine started)

For next start attempt, if no ground air cart available, and one engine started, can you keep the engine running while asking for bridge to reconnect to allow engineer to ADD the APU for dispatch? This is to preserve crossbleed start possibility.

FCOMs only mentions dry cranking under APU bleed, but for after APU shut down, I can't find any other reference. Thanks for the valuable advices!

Tinwacker
19th Jun 2014, 18:34
Dry cranking would only be necessary for the aborted start if the EGT had previously been rising , fuel light off.
An external air source is the only means unless the APU can be restarted after advice from engineering.
If the opposite engine was running then cross-bleed would be the preferred choice to cool the aborted engine for speed.

All airports I have been at will not allow the aerobridge to connect to an aircraft with a running engine.
Maybe the crew should review the MEL for APU and make a decision about whether returning to the bay is an option in this case, call maintenance control for further advice perhaps..

Rocket3837
28th Jun 2014, 23:17
If no external source is available, then the only way is to keep that engine running and yes you can connect the bridge even if it is against company procedures.

lunarair
28th Jun 2014, 23:54
May not necessarily against company procedure though. In my company's SOP, during thunderstorm warning if you have no APU you can disembark passengers on a bridge stand with eng 2 running because there will be no one connecting ground power for you.

fruitloop
29th Jun 2014, 00:28
Could you be a bit more specific .Which Airbus ??

lunarair
29th Jun 2014, 00:31
A320 minibus

nitpicker330
29th Jun 2014, 01:47
A330 in HK the same. HOWEVER I tried to do it once by calling Apron control on 121.775 advising port Engines shut down etc etc, they had no idea what I was wanting, no idea or inclination to help and therefore it couldn't get done............
Waste of time trying........

Tinwacker
1st Jul 2014, 12:32
then the only way is to keep that engine running and yes you can connect the bridge even if it is against company procedures.
Rocket, it's the bridge operator that will not connect while engine running, nothing to do with any companies SOP's

Natstrackalpha
5th Jul 2014, 20:26
Sorry, couldn`t resist:-

Flap not open,
No Flame,
Reverse Flow,
Hi EGT,
Low Oil press,
Hi Oil Temp,
No o`speed prot,
Overspeed,
Underspeed,
Slow start,
No Acceleration,
APU Fire -(On the Ground)
ECB failure,

-dang!! - am one short . . . . . ? . . power loss . . ? . . now what was it . . . ?

JGSE
8th Jul 2014, 04:57
‐ In case the electrical power supply is interrupted during the start sequence (indicated by the loss of ECAM DUs), abort the start by switching OFF the ENG 2 MASTER sw. Then, perform a 30 s dry crank.

FCOM PRO-NOR-SOP-08 1/4

lunarair
8th Jul 2014, 07:14
That probably won't be the case as Eng 2 is started already and took over the DC/AC bus already.

Natstrackalpha
9th Jul 2014, 12:48
DC Power Loss ! thassit!

ah, yes, indeed, Eng 2 is running