PDA

View Full Version : Best headset for beginner/student pilot?

aeroalexGR
16th Jun 2014, 22:32
Hello all. I will have the great opportunity to commence my PPL studies at my local aeroclub this summer, however one problem I have been facing is the issue of a headset... I don't want to spend over £200 as I would like to invest in a GoPro camera too, to document my flying lessons and my progress.

Would anyone recommend this headset? Or does it have to be Sennheiser/Bose, because the prices for me are striking, however you could argue it's a lifelong investment.
Pilot PA17-72T ANR Headset by 'Pilot Communications' from Flightstore.co.uk (http://www.flightstore.co.uk/pilot-supplies-c1/pilot-headsets-c65/pilot-communication-headsets-c71/pilot-pa17-72t-anr-headset-p266)
OR
ASA HS-1 Passive Headset by 'Aviation Supplies & Academics' from Flightstore.co.uk (http://www.flightstore.co.uk/pilot-supplies-c1/pilot-headsets-c65/asa-headsets-c72/asa-hs-1a-passive-headset-p227)

Reading online I have realized ANRs are better as they protect your hearing, however the last one is extremely cheap, and I guess it has no noise cancellation at all? Thanks in advance for your advice :ok:

Luke SkyToddler
17th Jun 2014, 08:38
It's not a "lifelong investment" if you plan to be an airline pilot, because you never wear those massive chunky style headsets in a jet. They've only got to last you through your piston and/or turboprop flying career.

Sennheisers are a bit fragile and Bose is just an outrageous ripoff, you really really can't go wrong with a David Clark H10-13.4 Headset by 'David Clark' from Flightstore.co.uk (http://www.flightstore.co.uk/pilot-supplies-c1/pilot-headsets-c65/david-clark-headsets-c66/david-clark-h10-13-4-headset-with-free-headset-case-p230) , they're passive but they're really good noise reduction, super comfy, pretty much indestructible, the toyota landcruiser of headsets, give them a wash after 10 years they're as good as new.

There are always plenty of good used ones on ebay for £120 - £150

CrabbitOldBugger
17th Jun 2014, 21:08
Dave Clark H10-13.4

StudentPilotJourney
18th Jun 2014, 03:40
I started out with the David Clark H10-13.4 and it was fine for a while, though once you experience ANR it's hard to go back. I fly with the Bose A20 Headset and would highly recommend it if you have the cash, if not, the David Clarks are a really good option.

Genghis the Engineer
18th Jun 2014, 16:40
I regularly use a David Clarke H10-13.4 and a Harry Mendelssohn HM40.

Both are fine, very little to choose between them, the HM40 is cheaper.

Transair or Harry Mendelssohn are both good shops to buy from. Flightstore is fine in person, but they have a bad reputation online.

Bose are magnificent, but expensive, fragile, and OTT for a new or low hour PPL to be frank. I did borrow one for my CPL, but still do most of my light aircraft flying with an HM40, and can still pass the hearing test for my class 1 regularly after 13 years of using an HM40. I tried an experiment last year - swapping between the HM40 and DC10-13.4 a few times on a longish trip to see the difference. Basically, there wasn't any.

ReverseFlight
20th Jun 2014, 03:53
Trying to find a reputable mail order company (US) for a pair of replacement Bose ear seals. Any recommendations ? Trying to avoid scams.

Genghis the Engineer
20th Jun 2014, 07:12
Try giving Marv Golden a call.

http://www.marvgolden.com/aviation-headsets/headsets/bose-aviation-headsets/?p=2

I've used them either for stuff I needed delivered to me quickly when I'm in the USA, or for stuff I need at home in Britain but can't get here, for several years. So far, utterly reliable and completely honest (and a great selection of kit).

aeroalexGR
20th Jun 2014, 20:45
Hi, thanks all for the great responses, perhaps I used the wrong word, by "lifetime" I meant throughout my GA flying ;)

I'll now probably buy the HM40 Headset that was recommended.

Once again thanks for your valuable help

Citationcj2
22nd Jun 2014, 19:25
Hi,

I would highly recommend Sennheiser HME110. Very nice and comfortable headset, and will last for many many years. I have used it trough out my ppl training and hour building and after trying some David Clarke's, I would prefer Sennheiser's. The build quality is just second to none.

Sennheiser HME 110 Passive Headset by 'Sennheiser' from Flightstore.co.uk (http://www.flightstore.co.uk/pilot-supplies-c1/pilot-headsets-c65/sennheiser-ga-headsets-c68/sennheiser-hme-110-passive-headset-p240)

I have since upgraded to Bose A20,

Happy flying:ok:

ReverseFlight
23rd Jun 2014, 02:40
Thanks GE. When I first learned to fly, I used DCs and they were so rugged, they were in perfect condition when I traded them for Bose X. In some ways I miss the DCs - you could literally throw them around, they're so tough.

flyinkiwi
23rd Jun 2014, 03:35
Sennheisers are a bit fragile and Bose is just an outrageous ripoff, you really really can't go wrong with a David Clark H10-13.4 Headset by 'David Clark' from Flightstore.co.uk (http://www.flightstore.co.uk/pilot-supplies-c1/pilot-headsets-c65/david-clark-headsets-c66/david-clark-h10-13-4-headset-with-free-headset-case-p230) , they're passive but they're really good noise reduction, super comfy, pretty much indestructible, the toyota landcruiser of headsets, give them a wash after 10 years they're as good as new.

Put it this way, if you are planning to go on to fly for a career, then ANR is probably a good investment. For us weekend warriors who fly <30 hours a year a PNR headset like the DC 10-13.4 is a solid purchase. I went with DC because I trained using various borrowed PNR headsets and the DC was the best of them for the reasons stated above.

Pilot CR
1st Sep 2014, 22:08
hiya,

I only recently started my PPL and I had the same dilemma as you. I would recommend the David Clark H10 13.4 look around and you can get a good deal online. Secondly Amazon are doing GoPro Hero 3+ Silver for £185...

Pilot CR

9 lives
1st Sep 2014, 22:15
I still own and use the very first David Clark H10-30 I bought in 1982. I now have four other DC headsets. I have a DC ANC headset, and I do not recommend this product. If you must spend the extra for ANC, go the rest of the way and buy Bose. But, Bose is not money well spent for a student. do the four or five hours of flying of equal value instead!

I agree that there are other good brands on the market, which DC mastered first, but you'll probably find that DC product support and parts (should you ever need them) is the best one can find.

Big Pistons Forever
1st Sep 2014, 22:24
I still own and use the very first David Clark H10-30 I bought in 1982.

Ditto, my first DC H10-30 was bought around the same time and is still going strong, although I traded up to an electret mike (the slim green one) from the original carbon mike (the clunky round black one). The newer style mikes work much better and are worth the extra money.

These headset are just about indestructible so I would start looking for a used one. Ask around your school if there are any students that have quit training and might have stuff to sell. Otherwise there are always ones on e-bay.

Piper.Classique
2nd Sep 2014, 06:43
I too have thirty year old David Clark's, but with an aftermarket ANR module. They work extremely well, even in a noisy aeroplane like the super cub. I would just mention that not all brands of headset seem to work well with each other, so it might be advisable to consider that later you will probably need passenger headsets, and bear this in mind when choosing.
Do remember, buy cheap, buy twice could apply here.
Otherwise, go NORDO and use really good ear defenders :-)

ChickenHouse
2nd Sep 2014, 08:50
So, aeroalexGR, keep us updated which road you went?

BackPacker
2nd Sep 2014, 13:07
It's true that you can't really go wrong with a DH, Bose or Sennheiser but they're all at the expensive end of the scale.

I, for one, am very happy with my SkyLite SL-900 and I know a lot of pilots at my club are. One of the club members became some sort of unofficial dealer when he ordered a whole bunch in one go, for a discount, so quite a few club members have them now.

You can get them direct from the factory or through the factory eBay account (flyskylite). On one occasion I've had to deal with their customer support and they were very helpful.

Mine are over seven years old by now, and I fly 40-50 hours annually. The only thing I've had to fix so far were the gel seals, when they started to flake and leak recently. A replacement pair, ordered through eBay directly from the factory, was about 20 euros incl. P&P, and took a week or so to arrive.

They also do child headsets which are the same quality as the SL-900, but are about 30% smaller, and come in blue or pink. Great for kids or smaller people.

ChickenHouse
3rd Sep 2014, 07:43
The "best" headset is always the one that fits my needs at that moment.

For some most important is the protection of their hearing aids and they go for the more expensive Bose/Sennheiser/Lightspeed/etc road. For some it is the go-budget approach and they are able to spent only little money, so they go small passive.

Where I express reservation is with the I-want-it-all optimizers. As above, the wish for a headset and a camera may be understandable, like kids christmas, but when this ends in choosing a cheap headset to also buy a camera, it goes to the expense of your hearing aid. When money is an issue, I always vote for if-you-do-it-do-it-right-or-not-at-all, so put the money to a good headset and forget the camera by now. A good headset protects you for a long time, but a camera will be a short-term toy, which only serves kids play attitude for a while.

But, as I know I am pretty lonely with that strict approach, I was interested in what the OP did.

India Four Two
4th Sep 2014, 01:11
The "best" headset is always the one that fits my needs at that moment.

.... and fits my head. ;)

I cannot use DCs because of issues with the headband. I am very happy with my Lightspeed Zulu headset.

As I and many others have said before, try before buying, regardless of the price tag.

hippo123
4th Sep 2014, 08:17
Can't say which are the best. All I can say is that I bought these (http://www.flightstore.co.uk/pilot-supplies-c1/pilot-headsets-c65/sennheiser-ga-headsets-c68/sennheiser-hme-110-passive-headset-p240)(as they were then, mine are blue) over 10 yrs ago when I started my PPL (found the school loaner sets were awful), they've always worked well, and I've never had a problem.

Baikonour
4th Sep 2014, 09:17
I'd also suggest you googled and read some opinions (on this and other forums) on the in-ear headsets such as

Quiet technologies (http://www.quiettechnologies.com/index_002.htm) and
Clarity Aloft (http://www.clarityaloft.com/pages/aviation-headsets)

Both of which seem to get very good raps by people who have used them.

If you can get used to having in-ear plugs, their alleged improved attenuation, low weight, low bulk and lack of battery case and battery usage should be good thing.

And they're cheaper.

Try before you buy. (Using your own foam plugs!) ;)

B.

aeroalexGR
29th Sep 2014, 20:36
Terribly sorry for the late reply! In the end I went for the HM40... very cheap, and surprisingly quite comfortable ! I recommend it as a first headset, it's really great!