PDA

View Full Version : iPad Mini Mounting

tomboo
16th Jun 2014, 18:18
I just bought a ram mount suction thing. It's bloody massive and fills the entire plane. If I have people in it's not really practical. Does anyone have any ingenious mounting options? I'm thinning a yoke mount would be quite annoying and again take up lots of space??

A PA-28 by the way...!

maxred
16th Jun 2014, 19:38
Try this..

http://www.gforcemount.com/GF260.htm

Crash one
16th Jun 2014, 19:42
Transair Mini iPad kneeboard. It gets a signal no problem on yr knee, at least in my Emeraude it does. I also fitted the clamp thing onto the panel because I have room and it is a permit aircraft.

Small Rodent Driver
16th Jun 2014, 20:37
Single sucker and swan neck automotive mount available on eBay for iPad mini. Comes complete with a 3.1A cigar lighter to USB adaptor too. All for six quid on eBay.

Bargain.

Jude098
16th Jun 2014, 23:06
Can you post an ebay link please.
Thanks

Small Rodent Driver
17th Jun 2014, 05:55
Black 360 In Car Kit Mount Smart Holder Cradle For New Apple iPad mini +Charger | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321076878291)

LowNSlow
17th Jun 2014, 07:44
I've got one of these: Car windscreen Mobile cell phone mount holder iphone 5s 5c 4 htc samsung nokia | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321288310433?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_853wt_1161)

Small and simple and it stays on at +3g. You do need to have a flat and smooth area on your instrument panel to attach the sucker to though. Don't forget that with SkyDemon available on iPhones you don't have to use an iPad!

Small Rodent Driver
17th Jun 2014, 09:21
The OP has an ipad mini and seems to be looking for a mount.

I have one of the £6.49 items which I use in the car when I run Tomtom on my ipad mini and in the a/c for Skydemon. Works really well, much better in fact than the £6.49 price tag would have you believe.

wb9999
17th Jun 2014, 17:10
I'm thinning a yoke mount would be quite annoying and again take up lots of space??

A yoke mount for an iPad Mini in a PA28 is anything but annoying and doesn't take up lots of space. I have this setup, and it's barely noticeable and I would recommend it highly. All of the instruments are clearly visible, and it doesn't impact on using the yoke at all. I previously had a full-sized iPad on a yoke mount, and that was noticeable, but a mini is a fantastic size.

thing
17th Jun 2014, 18:16
The mini is quite popular at my club, folk have yolk mounts and all sorts of stuff. I find mine fits very neatly onto my cheapo Pooleys knee pad, the one with the strong clip at the top. Just fold the iPad cover out and put it under the spring clip and it sits there all day. Mind you, I do have issues with connecting it to my GNS 2000. It either works straight away or it takes for ever faffing around with it to get them talking to each other. I've been through every possible permutation of switching on procedure but it seems to be a hit and miss thing. Tend to use my iPhone which has been infallible.

GBEBZ
17th Jun 2014, 19:24
@Thing

That GNS2000 is the biggest waste of money ever! I wish I had never bought it.

thing
17th Jun 2014, 20:08
Have you bought something else that actually works? If so I'd be grateful to know what it is! As I say the iPhone is faultless, I tend to use that all of the time now when I actually use the GPS.

LowNSlow
18th Jun 2014, 07:01
I've got a GNS 150 which I link to the iPad Mini and it has been known to assume that I've landed when I'm flying over an airfield that I've used as a waypoint......

I've had the non-linking issues as well but turning off the wi-fi on the iPad and re-starting it usually works. As you say I now wish I'd bought the iPad with the built in GPS. :(

Stall Inducer
12th Oct 2016, 12:20
Has anyone got anymore upto date recommendations on iPad mini mounts ? (in particular for the mini 4). Mainly for use in C172, PA28 & 32. I'm looking for something that is not to obtrusive & takes up minimal space.

Camargue
12th Oct 2016, 12:51
I have a nexus 7, which has Velcro stuck on the back and a Velcro strap which goes round my thigh.

works well as I can take it on a off as I please.

but the nexus does fit on my thigh much better than a ipad mini would

highcirrus
12th Oct 2016, 15:24
Maybe look at Guardian Avionics. (https://www.guardianavionics.com/Panel-Mount-Power-Supply-Packages_c_49.html) I think they courier to UK for approx USD 88.00.

ChickenHouse
12th Oct 2016, 15:25
Has anyone got anymore upto date recommendations on iPad mini mounts ? (in particular for the mini 4). Mainly for use in C172, PA28 & 32. I'm looking for something that is not to obtrusive & takes up minimal space.
Wasn't there a discussion lately on the legal requirements for mobile devices mounted, or was that only referring to the sign-off required to mount action cameras and BT devices? Sorry, I'm getting old.

Lukesdad
12th Oct 2016, 16:11
We've just had a Ram Mount fitted in a Robin DR 400 by our local avionics people (certified aircraft). They fitted it over on the P2 side just in front of the fresh air vent with two USB power sockets.

I used to have my ipad mini in a kneeboard, but on a hot day it did have a disconcerting tendency to shut down when it got too hot.

I've upgraded to the latest mini 4 version which does appear to be more sunlight readable than previous models and the processor does seem to scroll considerably faster as well.

thing
12th Oct 2016, 22:38
I bought a Ram mount for my iPhone, the sort that goes on the yoke slider thingy. I used to have a sucker job that fitted on the screen but the window blew open on the a/c I was flying and sucked the phone out of the cockpit. Luckily it landed in a field and I was able to retrieve it using 'find my iphone' before the battery ran out. I didn't want that to happen again.

gasax
13th Oct 2016, 07:16
I've just bought an aircraft which came with a 1" Ram ball - but not the rest. So an enquiry to the Ram UK website I am now the owner of a Nexus mount nad the bits to attach to the ball. I have to say it is nicely engineered and pretty adaptable. Like the DR400 mount above it is on the passenger side of the panel.

skyboy999
21st Oct 2016, 08:40

If you're looking for a panel mount solution, I went for a mount by Brodit which I can highly recommend. It fits quite flush to panel unlike RAM which, even with smallest ball/stalk protrudes quite a lot. It has a small ball in the mount which enables it to tilt (to avoid glare) and swivel portrait/landscape.

Shoestring Flyer
21st Oct 2016, 14:32
For a proper panel flush fit you need one of these. They are not cheap but I am very pleased with mine.
https://www.flypadmount.com/