PDA

View Full Version : Small plane crashes near M1 motorway in Nottinghamshire

overthewing
14th Jun 2014, 14:25
BBC News - Small plane crashes near M1 motorway in Nottinghamshire (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-27849294)

handsfree
14th Jun 2014, 15:29
That would seem to be close to Hucknall airfield.

mcloaked
14th Jun 2014, 15:35
Sky is reporting the same event:

Two Casualties As Plane Crashes Near M1 (http://news.sky.com/story/1282356/two-casualties-as-plane-crashes-near-m1)

munster
14th Jun 2014, 16:42
It's a Cessna from hucknall, G-YIII.

Cenus_
14th Jun 2014, 18:21
very sad news.

RTN11
15th Jun 2014, 11:39
I'm not normally one to bash post-accident threads, as there's always plenty to be learnt even in the early stages of a discussion, but seriously guys think twice before you post a reg just hours after the accident, it really doesn't help when the media are a bunch of hyenas that will jump on anything.

Nottinghamshire plane crash leaves pilot and his wife dead near M1 | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2657944/Horror-light-aeroplane-two-people-board-crashes-close-busy-motorway.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490)

Pilots wrote online that they believed the plane was a 42-year-old Cessna owned by the Merlin Flying Club, which operates out of Hucknall Airfield.

The small airfield is less than a mile from the M1 between junctions 26 and 27, near the crash site.

A representative of the airfield declined to comment on the crash and told MailOnline all enquiries should be directed to Rolls-Royce, which owns the airfield.

Rolls-Royce did not immediately return requests for comment.

So because of one reg post, which may not even be correct, various companies are now getting hassled by the media for no good reason.

Croqueteer
15th Jun 2014, 12:25
Two male club members. RIP

Nige321
15th Jun 2014, 12:57
eriously guys think twice before you post a reg just hours after the accident

RTN
The reg is visible in al the photos on the news sites...

RTN11
15th Jun 2014, 16:21
I've not seen any where the reg was particularly clear, and I know it's mostly the Daily Mail being terrible and directly quoting from this site as if it's an official source, just saying there's no need to go into too much detail on a very public forum where you may well be quoted as a source until more official information has been released.

wb9999
15th Jun 2014, 19:36
I found the reg in 2 minutes yesterday. You can see the first 4 characters in the photos, and G-INFO makes it very easy to search from a partial reg. The only other aircraft in the UK beginning with G-YII is a helicopter, so it doesn't take a lot of deduction to work out the last character - especially as that aircraft is registered to Merlin Flying Club who are based at Hucknall airfield.

RTN11
16th Jun 2014, 13:36
Well, like I said I'm not normally one to bash it, just it's not often you see the DM directly quote "pilots online", and when they then start hassling people at the airport over it then it can't be good.

Surprised at the complete lack of speculation on this one though, certainly looks an unusual wreckage with the tail stuck right in the air like that, as the witnesses have said he must of nose dived the last bit, will be interesting to see what comes of the investigation.

John Farley
16th Jun 2014, 13:52
Every picture tells a story.

This one seems to suggest there was no fire despite a pretty serious looking impact.

Common sense says should it turn out on examination that there was little fuel around then one thinks 'was the engine running?' - Usually the type of prop bending is good evidence or otherwise of this.

If the engine turns out not to be running then understanding about force landing issues leads to the next consideration.

And so on.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
16th Jun 2014, 16:07
Crumpled rear fuselage and what appears to be shortened forward fuselage and near-vertical stance indicate a steep highish energy arrival, so nose-over during forced landing unlikely. But with so few clues I wouldn't rule anything in or out at this stage.

John Farley
16th Jun 2014, 17:30
SSD

True O King.

I have had some pretty big nose drops after stalling when trying to stretch a glide.

foxmoth
16th Jun 2014, 18:10
Many reasons for this - it could be there is a ditch/steep drop at the end of the field, overrunning into that would give this result!:*

herman the crab
17th Jun 2014, 05:02
The first news story I saw here in California was the BBC and the tail number was clearly visible.

In the same picture there are wires - maybe a forced landing and were unlucky in catching the wires tipping the nose down? (Speculation based on Iphone viewed photo!)

HTC

west lakes
17th Jun 2014, 11:52
In the same picture there are wires - maybe a forced landing and were unlucky in catching the wires tipping the nose down?

Another view I've seen shows it well clear of those wire which are a 230/400V over head power line. I would suggest any contact would have brought them down

7of9
18th Jun 2014, 21:24
BBC News - Victims of plane crash near M1 named by police (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-27911911)

talkpedlar
22nd Jun 2014, 08:20
..and so much for the Daily Mail's typically useless coverage about "husband and wife victims."

Andrewgr2
23rd Jun 2014, 05:54
The Mail Online's heading reads

Pilot and his wife dead after their light aeroplane 'drops from the sky' near M1

Read more: Nottinghamshire plane crash leaves pilot and his wife dead near M1 | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2657944/Horror-light-aeroplane-two-people-board-crashes-close-busy-motorway.html#ixzz35RFzVyQN)
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

In the following article they say:

A police spokesman said: 'Two men have died after a plane in which they were travelling came down in a field near the M1 at around 1.30pm today.

!!!