PDA

View Full Version : Don't bother landing at Gnowangerup WA

kaz3g
13th Jun 2014, 13:20
This is a gravel strip in the middle of the Great Southern with nothing to recommend it and a $60 landing fee to avoid.

Kaz

Jack Ranga
13th Jun 2014, 21:10
How's the fuel situation there buddy?

poteroo
13th Jun 2014, 22:41
Folks - it's not gravel....now a good sealed runway. Making local inquiries as to reasons why, and will post back here later.
happy days,

onetrack
14th Jun 2014, 03:59
What would get up your nose is that the airstrip was given a major, extensive and costly upgrade - via volunteer labour and totally funded and organised by the local Plymouth Brethren Church group - with only minimal contribution from the State Govt and the council.
The State grant was probably a Lotteries Commission grant - which is funded totally from profits generated by the State-owned lotteries.

"Starting with a very short substandard dirt strip, the Brethren community of Gnowangerup, at their own expense, using volunteer labour and equipment, have constructed an all weather sealed airport capable of handling up to small passenger jets, complete with radio controlled lighting and a terminal building. This project was initiated, and funded, by the Brethren Community of Gnowangerup, with minimal assistance from the Gnowangerup Shire Council, and a small grant from the West Australian State Government."

https://www.theplymouthbrethren.org/community/gnowangerup-western-australia-new-airstrip/

Now it seems, the Gnowangerup Shire Council is happy to jump on the bandwagon and garner an income from the efforts of volunteers.
While I'm no supporter or believer in Plymouth Brethren doctrine, I always found the PB adherents amongst my farm clients, to be upstanding citizens.

The moral uprightness and civic-mindedness of the local Plymouth Brethren is obviously not matched by the Gnowangerup Shire Council.

However, I know the feeling. I regularly carried out civil construction work for community projects, free of charge in many wheatbelt towns where I had numerous supporting clients - yet very rarely got any thanks for it from the local councils.