PDA

View Full Version : Strip near Narooma

VH-XXX
13th Jun 2014, 05:50
Gents and Ladies,

I need to go to a wedding here and don't fancy the 8 hour drive. I am aware of Moruya which is from memory 35 minutes drive from Narooma, however I'm sure I saw a grass strip next to the highway closer to Narooma. Does anyone know where exactly and who this belongs to?

I'm making enquiries on the one actually in the town but I won't hold my breath.

Cheers.

vee1-rotate
13th Jun 2014, 09:46
This is probably what you are thinking of:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Frogs+Hollow+NSW+2550/@-36.7615424,149.8098084,2499m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x6b3c27545794bd6b:0x40609b4904409d0

Frogs Hollow airfield. It's actually further than Moruya, at around an hour.

Frogs Hollow Flyers aerodromes south coast flying pilots (http://www.frogshollowflyers.com.au/)

I've been going annually to Narooma/Dalmeny for 20 years, not aware of any others that are closer.

onetrack
13th Jun 2014, 09:54
VH-XXX - There's a grass airstrip listed 4kms out of Narooma - but there's no contact details available on it.
I'd suspect this is a privately-owned strip, and only local aviation enquiries would garner the details about the owner, and whether you could use it.

Airstrip NSW @ ExplorOz Places (http://www.exploroz.com/Places/82099/NSW/Airstrip.aspx)

Location - 36º 15' 20.02" S 150º 08' 35.53"E

(Edit: Google Maps link worked in preview, but doesn't work when posted).

VH-XXX
13th Jun 2014, 12:17
That's a no-go zone I'm afraid onetrack, it's had white crosses on it for years.

One day when I fit floats this won't be an issue :ok:

Thanks for all of the PM's.

Stikybeke
13th Jun 2014, 23:11
Hey XXX

That strip, which is south of Narooma and by the coast used to belong to a famous Australian actor who now lives in US. He had the house beside the strip there years ago and is strongly rumoured to have only used it a couple of times (or so the legend goes). I wouldn't recommend it. I flew down there in that area for years and can't ever recall seei any aircraft there aside from a Caribou that was practicing PL's there once.

Frogs Hollow is between Bega and Merimbula so that's too far away, despite being a great place to fly.

For your cirrus or other non-bush strip types the best bet is Moruya (North of Narooma). Good airport, fuel, etc. The taxi service there is no problem if you ring well in advance. I'm sure you could negotiate a reasonable price to and from Narooma with some prior planning....

Good luck and if driving to Narooma don't forget to lock your car when parking...

Enjoy,
Stiky
:ok:

Lookleft
13th Jun 2014, 23:37
if driving to Narooma don't forget to lock your car when parking...

Because you can forget to lock your car everywhere else in Oz? I would be more concerned with leaving the plane at Moruya for a couple of days.

Brian Abraham
13th Jun 2014, 23:58
Because you can forget to lock your car everywhere else in Oz?You could in Marree not so long ago, and with the keys in the ignition. The local constabulary's biggest job was getting the locals to wear seat belts.

VH-XXX
14th Jun 2014, 00:24
Moree would me more of a concern than Marree I suspect !

Capt Fathom
14th Jun 2014, 05:47
Moree would me more of a concern than Marree I suspect !

Why would that be?

truthinbeer
14th Jun 2014, 06:07
There is a grass strip alongside the Princess Hwy on the southern outskirts of Bodalla though I have never seen an a/c on it. Also shown on Exploreoz - Airstrip NSW @ ExplorOz Places (http://www.exploroz.com/Places/82619/NSW/Airstrip.aspx)

It is a 30 minute bus ride via surrounding district to Narooma but probably around 12 minutes in a taxi.

Probably easier to organise to land at Moruya though. I have heard the fuel bloke will drop you in town if you are buying. I reckon sticking your thumb out would easily get you the rest of the way. I see people thumbing a ride down that neck of the woods sometimes and I'd pick you up if you looked clean and tidy. :)

Stikybeke
14th Jun 2014, 08:15
Actually Look Left, now that you mention it, you're right....

You should always lock your car, regardless of where you park.

As for security of your aircraft at Moruya, I'd have to agree with you there as well these days. I'd be asking around to see if there was some space in one of the hangars there you could use o/nite for a small donation...Years ago they had a good aero club at Moruya. Very friendly with good people and you might be pleasantly surprised when it comes to helping out with the safe storage of your aircraft. Check with the refueller re this one. Not sure what the current arrangements are.

Stiky

VH-XXX
14th Jun 2014, 09:05
Capt Fathom said Why would that be?

Have you been there lately or stayed a night in the town?

gerry111
14th Jun 2014, 09:17
Stikybeke wrote:

"The taxi service is no problem if you ring well in advance." (Moruya)

A couple of years ago, three of us flew from YSBK to there in an Archer for lunch. I rang the taxi company back after waiting half an hour when 10 minutes were promised. In the end, after nearly an hour, the very generous lady who ran the Hertz franchise loaned us her car. And for free. We had a lovely lunch at a restaurant she recommended. We then bought her two bottles of wine and a box of chocolates. Made for a really great day!

YMRY has an Aero Refuellers self serve bowser so no free lifts by the refueller into town.

P.S. If you land at Leigh Creek as we did last month, don't bother ringing for a taxi. There no longer is one. But I rang the number on the Terminal door 0429 012 445 and a very obliging caravan park owner picked us up seven minutes later. We had a good lunch and coffee at the take away shop and he picked us up half an hour later. I gave him a donation of $20 which he was quite happy with. He wants to promote tourism in his town. So all fuelled up, we headed for Arkaroola.

VH-XXX
14th Jun 2014, 23:16
I think my relative cuts the hair of the mother of the owner. That's as close as I can get to landing there even with that solid link !

KRUSTY 34
15th Jun 2014, 00:54
There maybe a couple of strips we're talking about here. The one with the sealed runway, hangar at the western end, and very nice looking home overlooking the ocean is definitely privately owned.

The other one on the coast is to the south of Bermagui around the Murrah lagoon inet. I did a charter there in a C310 nearly 20 years ago. It's low lying and runs N/W-S/E. about 600-700 metres (from memory). It's a grass strip, and although I had concerns about the surface, I found it firm and well drained. There are power lines perpendicular to the approach from the East, and significant rising terrain to the west! The operator I worked for at the time gave me a comprehensive brief, and frankly I had my concerns. In the end the old 310 handled it well.

Can't tell you who owns it now I'm afraid.

truthinbeer
15th Jun 2014, 01:37
I know the owners (related by marriage) of the Murrah strip. I don't think anyone has landed there in years.

Looking at the image of the strip mentioned by VH-XXX I wandered sth a bit to east of central Tilba. A property there appears to have a paddock mown to what looks like a grass strip.

Turns out the one I was thinking of is not the Murrah, but a few k's sth at Tanja

vee1-rotate
15th Jun 2014, 04:03
I know the owners (related by marriage) of the Murrah strip. No one has landed there in years.

Looking at the image of the strip mentioned by VH-XXX I wandered sth a bit to east of central Tilba. A property there appears to have a paddock mown to what looks like a grass strip.

This one ? Seems all marked out as well.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Central+Tilba+NSW+2546/@-36.3265557,150.1080098,747m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x6b3e12fe7bffaa0b:0x40609b4904407e0

truthinbeer
15th Jun 2014, 06:54
Yes, the one near Tilba. Well it looks like a strip.

VH-XXX
15th Jun 2014, 09:57
That one on the coast at Tilba looks quite accommodating. I'll try and give them a call tomorrow if I can work out how to track them down!

Stikybeke
27th Jun 2014, 02:20
So don't leave us all hanging out there XXX.....

What happened? Fly, Drive or Apologies tendered for non-attendance?

Stiky

VH-XXX
27th Jun 2014, 03:08
I'll probably be flying there and Moruya is the backup.

The Tilba strip next to the highway is a no-goer as they are non aviation owners and it's not maintained although if it was mown they would probably love to have an aircraft drop in. Heli's use it in fire season.

The one close to the water (in Tilba, not Narooma) is on a farm owned by an older chap in Sydney who owns a float plane and lands there occasionally.

So it's all a goer either way.

Dashunder
27th Jun 2014, 04:57
Coming from Bodalla, albeit has been a while since I lived there, I am aware of this strip. It was primarily used for super spreaders back in the day, not sure if it is still in service though.

The Bodalla company used to service the strip but that organisation went under in the late 80's.

Personally I would use Moruya and get a cab or hire a car.

truthinbeer
13th Jul 2014, 03:05
XXX, did you make it up to Central Tilba or is it still in planning?

VH-XXX
13th Jul 2014, 06:58
Still a month or so away.... If it keeps raining it will be Moruya for sure !

Lookleft
13th Jul 2014, 07:40
What rain? Just spent a week down there and it has been blue skies.

VH-XXX
13th Jul 2014, 09:21
37 mls or rain last Sat night in Gippsland area. Good luck if you had a forced landing onto green grass !

Lookleft
13th Jul 2014, 09:36
Narooma is not Gippsland! All Narooma got was a bit of overnight rain from that system that passed south. Cold in the morning I'll admit but sunshine all the way.

truthinbeer
13th Jul 2014, 23:56
Narooma is not Gippsland! All Narooma got was a bit of overnight rain from that system that passed south. Cold in the morning I'll admit but sunshine all the way.
Agreed, ask any Sth Coast dairy farmer whose pasture is greenest, and it's not down to being better farmers.

The coast has been as dry as a Nun's whatsit for about 6 weeks.

VH-XXX
13th Jul 2014, 23:59
I am aware that Narooma isn't Gippsland but if you are a Melbournite you need to cross Gippsland or mount Hotham to get there :-)

Lookleft
14th Jul 2014, 05:31
So how will you plan to Moruya?

fencehopper
14th Jul 2014, 07:44
Gees if you asked this question in the US you would possibly have a choice of 3 or so airports /strips. Go Oz.

VH-XXX
14th Jul 2014, 09:48
So how will you plan to Moruya?

OZRunways of course. 273nm and 1hr:55m :ok: