PDA

View Full Version : Good Vibes?

Brian Abraham
12th Jun 2014, 11:37
Rotorcraft Vibration Can Be Almost Eliminated | Defense content from Aviation Week (http://aviationweek.com/defense/rotorcraft-vibration-can-be-almost-eliminated?NL=AW-05&Issue=AW-05_20140612_AW-05_924&YM_RID=%27email%27&YM_MID=%27mmid%27&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_4_b)

Lonewolf_50
12th Jun 2014, 14:19
and electrical power is supplied via the slip ring already used to power the rotor anti-icing system. Pardon me, I just crapped myself laughing. Between the blade fold and de-ice system problems in the Seahawk fleet (when I was flying them) I learned a few things about the shortcomings of slip rings.

If someone has invented a better slip ring method, good. Otherwise, this has a few traps imbedded in the "solution."

I wish the Sikorsky guys the very best in making this work.

unstable load
12th Jun 2014, 19:58
Lonewolf_50,
I hear you there. Thinking back to numeous BIM snags in the 61 and that bloody slip ring setup had me giggling too.

Boudreaux Bob
12th Jun 2014, 21:20
Ah Yes....BIM's.

That system caused more than a few problems unless and until you removed the In-Cockpit Indicator and just went with the Blade BIM's.

Just the thought of Blade Fold gives me the Shudders!

13th Jun 2014, 09:30
It's alright for you guys - we're still dealing with slip ring and bladefold problems on the Sea King:ok:

Is this an admission by Sikorsky that the contra-rotating masses in the fuselage on the S-92 don't actually work very well?

The new solution seems to be a combination of the active vibration setup on the EH101/Merlin and the MRHVA added to the Lynx many years ago (known as the bonk because the serviceability test was to hit it to see if it made the right noise) - not really much new technology there, especially with the use of slip rings as well! Did someone from Westlands leave to go and work for Sikorsky??????

Helilog56
13th Jun 2014, 16:21
Sikorsky obviously forgot they built Sky-cranes....the most obnoxious, belligerent, and vibration enhanced helicopter in existence......:}

212man
13th Jun 2014, 18:38
Sounds like the same principle as the Lanchester shafts found in some in-line piston engines - but more likely to be unreliable!