PDA

View Full Version : 'Addition' to the EK uniform

sluggums
12th Jun 2014, 09:42
Are there any airlines elsewhere where it is mandatory for the pilots to use a company issued cockpit flight bag?

'Cause that's what TCAS has just announced. What next... our colour of underwear...?:sad:

bogeydope
12th Jun 2014, 09:45
No, We'll all have to grow a beard.........!!

pilotrob23
12th Jun 2014, 09:54
The women too?

sluggums
12th Jun 2014, 09:56
Hopefully... Phwoaaar:D Or hair colour maybe?

glofish
12th Jun 2014, 09:58
What's the bitching about? It's actually a good move, for once!

thehonourablefong
12th Jun 2014, 10:00
You know what, it's a pretty petty move but it's a decent bag at least...thought they'd give us a cardboard box with PVC wrapped around it!

Suck it up, boys, it's probably worth more than this year's payrise!

cost neutral
12th Jun 2014, 10:03
Ah but thats what it is, the pay rise !

checcker10
12th Jun 2014, 10:09
Depends goldfish.
Think it's a complete waste of money.
I personally don't like those bags, too bulky and cumbersome.
Ain't no space in the flight deck on a 4 man crew for them. And now the wheel chair is in closet outside, don't suppose our 1st class pax will fancy my bag in the suite with them! Another well thought out plan.
Will be going in cupboard never to be seen again.
What is it with Tcas and uniforms??
Didn't he get any Christmas presents as a child.......

worldaccording2
12th Jun 2014, 10:24
"Bearded ladies..gives me something to hang on too ! Whoof.."

Rip Rik Mayall

Lord Flashheart's Grand Entrance - Blackadder - BBC - YouTube (http://youtu.be/aKfbSHW9uGA)

sluggums
12th Jun 2014, 10:28
Not moaning per se, I think it's a bit short sighted by the company to make using the bag mandatory. Sometime the corporate branding BS goes a little too far. Why else would they make it mandatory?

Dog watch
12th Jun 2014, 10:33
Really people... It's a bag.

As much moaning as there is going on, mark my words some will 'take' 2 bags.

Where's my payrise !!!

McGreaser
12th Jun 2014, 10:41
Anybody out there still slugs around a 17" laptop ?

I suppose we will get a plastic watch with a calculator on it. And the plastic wallets with velcro on them with Hello Kitty embossed on. Then the fanny pack to carry our crew sandwiches and crew allowance.

Guess i deserve to use the bag as punishment because i didn't send an email voicing my displeasure:ugh:

Just out of curiosity....in the 21st century, what do u guys carry in your flight bag ? Personally
1. ipad or Mac Book Air
2. wallet
3. phone
4. clipboard
5. condoms (baby wipes !)
5. lately....a stick to bite on and loads of lube:rolleyes::rolleyes: (can't take the pain !)

kingpost
12th Jun 2014, 11:14
What a way to "try" and become a lifestyle brand, give the pilots a bag! My goodness, have they lost the plot, we need a salary increase, not a briefcase - I'm struggling to keep up with inflationary pressures!

springbok449
12th Jun 2014, 11:33
McG,

I hear you, I am amazed at what some people carry in their flight bag judging by the size of them... Think the guys will struggle with the new one as it won't have any space to carry their "special" aide memoire manuals etc!

If only I could fit my iPad into my inside jacket pocket...

falconeasydriver
12th Jun 2014, 11:38
Anyone know how long the handle is? being a little taller than average, I've avoided these type of bags thanks to having to stoop.

sluggums
12th Jun 2014, 12:08
I think they're planning deportment lessons as well...

"Back straight, keep the book balanced on your head ladies...!"

It'll be incorporated in our 6 monthly LPC sessions I've heard.

sluggums
12th Jun 2014, 12:18
100% agree.

Gulf News
12th Jun 2014, 12:24
Looks to be a quality item for a change and quite useful. You can bet that there was something in it for whoever signed the purchase order for 3600 + units, that is the way things work here.

Besides its a big step up from the diary that we got last year and even beats the set of oven gloves we got in 2005.

The distribution system sounds a bit shaky and open to multiple "procurement" by the less scrupulous amongst us. I guess there will be a uptick in branded luggage for sale on Dubizzle in the near future as EK pilots try to offset the rise in the cost of living that the company does not seem to have the wherewithal to address .:)

SMOC
12th Jun 2014, 12:28
C'mon at least post a pic :E

DuneMentat
12th Jun 2014, 12:39
as far as i can see it's this one Patriot Rolling 2-Piece Business Set (http://www.wengerna.com/patriot-rolling-2-piece-business-set-12353)

GoreTex
12th Jun 2014, 13:42
I just bought a new bag, thanks for telling us last minute

sluggums
12th Jun 2014, 13:50
As with my tie pin and pass holder, it's a rule I'll be happy to ignore.

FLEX/MCT
12th Jun 2014, 14:27
None - the bag will automatically self destruct if any attempt is made to put duty free, personal electronic devices or EK branded olive oil/balsamic into it, but not before sending a report to TCAS's desk...

Dropp the Pilot
12th Jun 2014, 14:33
That can't be right. I think TCAS' truncated minion AS has been made Vice President Oil/Vinegar/Pillows and Blankets.

millerscourt
12th Jun 2014, 15:00
When I joined Kuwait Airways on the B707 we were all provided with an excellent good quality Leather Nav Bag engraved with Kuwait Airways Crew and a Samsonite and both saw out my flying career and are still in good nick ( like me ) :eek:

PS Two of the shortest sectors we did were BAH/DHA and KWI/Abadan

PPS 8 weeks annual leave, plus two lots of 10 days off roster block and always two night in Central London after exhausting 7 hour daytime flight

Old King Coal
12th Jun 2014, 19:32
You mean it's not made out of leather?! Ffs, how on earth is one supposed to affix the required 1,000's stickers? Good gawd and bloomin' heck, what a cheapskate outfit EK has turned into!

Aside - the best contents of a flight bag that I ever saw was that of an Air Europe (UK) colleague (whom shall remain nameless, to protect the guilty) wherein during a Manchester night stop 'drinkeepoos' it was determined that the only items (and of which I kid you not!) within his flight bag were: a bottle of Scotch; a 'Brixton Briefcase' plus some cassette tapes (it was a few years ago), plus a family sized pack of prophylactics,... now those were the days!

Dropp the Pilot: lol as the AS gibe, classic !

littlejet
12th Jun 2014, 22:08
don't forget to check it for listening devices!
soak it in water for 30 minutes just to be on the safe side

hotduke
13th Jun 2014, 11:50
I'll take a free bag any day.

Looks like it may fit a little better in the Boeing than a standard flight case which blocks the side table from locking into place anyway.

Phantom Driver
13th Jun 2014, 21:40
PPS 8 weeks annual leave, plus two lots of 10 days off roster block and always two night in Central London after exhausting 7 hour daytime flight

Good wheeze!

McGreaser
13th Jun 2014, 22:23
@ hotduke ...whats a "standard" flight case ? Have seen guys drag the EK embosssed "coffin" and filled it to the hilt. For the love of me i wish i knew what they stuff in their bags ! ln the 21st century, minimalism is the standard. But guess loads of people are stuck in a time warp:cool: Hence some blokes think the new bag is ok coz it has loads of real estate/compartments :ugh:

Desdihold
13th Jun 2014, 23:11
I agree with mcgreaser, I have a black laptop size bag which fits all that I need...a clip board, an ipad, calculator, documents.

Nowwe are being given a bag which will just consume more space on a limited flight deck, further consider four of these bags on the flight deck during ULR flights.

Stupid move yet again.

nakbin330
14th Jun 2014, 04:56
Well done Sluggams, such a radical approach.

sluggums
14th Jun 2014, 05:37
nakbin, not sure if you're being sarcastic or not...:confused:

Anyhoo, to take a leaf from the training manual and apply sone root cause analysis, the issue isn't the bag itself, it's the fact that TCAS has made it mandatory to use, a firm grasp of the non essentials. The second floor has lost the plot.

hotduke
14th Jun 2014, 06:07
Mcgrease,

Maybe the extra real estate has something to do with the "reintroduction of the recycling policy."

Hat, Jacket, trolley, papers, oh my....

skyvan
14th Jun 2014, 06:52
If they don't want us to nick the olive oil, why do they give us such a big case?

CaptainChipotle
14th Jun 2014, 09:57
Soon to come... The emirates issued flight watch, pen, sunglasses and clipboard.

The end of originality.

Rather Be Skiing
14th Jun 2014, 11:47
Soon to come... The emirates issued flight watch, pen, sunglasses and clipboard. The end of originality.

But really... we're all waiting for the logo'd underpants! ;-)

vfenext
14th Jun 2014, 14:46
Looks like the children on this forum are getting younger. It's not even funny anymore, just stupid.

jack schidt
14th Jun 2014, 15:09
Use it....Abuse it....Looooooooose it, unless it's purdy!

puff m'call
14th Jun 2014, 15:09
Its pretty simple guys, just don't use the stupid thing!!!

millerscourt
14th Jun 2014, 18:30
Phantom Driver

Perhaps I should also mention that when Denis Healey went cap in hand to the IMF to bail out the UK the £Stg fell so I got a 25% tax free pay rise:E

PS As a sign of how things have changed over the years KAC always stayed in the Taj Mahal in Bombay ( as was ) Even GF stayed there in those days

alwayzinit
14th Jun 2014, 23:24
Is each new bag going to come stuffed with 1000 aed notes? Coz I would like my bleeding pay rise please!

alwayzinit
16th Jun 2014, 15:26
So that would be "No" then!

halas
18th Jun 2014, 14:23
I count 27 crosses on the outside plus several hundred on the inside :}

I'm not sure l need a business-mans carry-on hand luggage as a nav-bag.

Tis 2.5 time larger than the bag l use and that fits my hat and 'jamies!

I guess l will be able to put my laundry in their from whenever this comes into affect. Yay. Great for the first 20 minutes of (prior to) my duty period.

halas

BLOGGSON
24th Jun 2014, 07:48
Dear Alan,

Tried your nice new bag the other day. Didn't like it. Won't be using it again.

Regards,

Bloggs

Eau de Boeing
24th Jun 2014, 07:50
Wot he said....

DuneMentat
20th Jul 2014, 04:29
Now that the use of the bag is mandatory from August 1st do we have to start writing reports on each other for not using it or can we assume we'll have to sign another piece of paper we've checked the other guy is using the correct bag? Or will we have to go to the CC briefing to get our grooming checked? :ugh:

White Knight
20th Jul 2014, 04:37
The most IMPRACTICAL flight bag ever seen... In fact, it's not even a 'flight bag'... How the hell can you access the damn thing when it's stuffed between the seat and the sidewall!

Yet another well thought out waste of money:rolleyes::ugh:

KanyouEast
20th Jul 2014, 05:00
Well we could get rid of it in a hurry if EVERYONE put in an ASR saying it blocks access to the emergency torch…..:ok::E, although they'd probably just instruct everyone to buy themselves a maglite to keep IN the bag!

TangoUniform
20th Jul 2014, 07:05
Good gosh. Complaining and moaning about this non event denigrates legitimate complaints we have over other issues. Grow up people. This has no real effect on anything important in our professional lives. Complaining about this makes us look like a bunch of 13 year old girls worrying about Justin Beiber.:ugh:

blackbird71
20th Jul 2014, 07:30
"that's funny right there" - Mater @TangoUniform

Dropp the Pilot
20th Jul 2014, 07:38
Don't really give a flying phasmid about any of this but when you are dragging the thing around an airport, try to fit it in one of those frames that judges cabin bag size. My colleague tried it in two different locations on our last layover and it didn't fit. Might be an issue for those of you who like the freighter and it's associated positioning duties.

nakbin330
20th Jul 2014, 08:13
The new bag's great. Fits 5 bottles of grog, easily, and on layovers such as Lagos, where one doesn't venture too far, all that is required for the layover.

Fr. Dougal
20th Jul 2014, 08:20
I wonder did they buy them from here?
Certainly not advertised as a pilot bag.

Swiss Wenger Bags (http://www.groupon.ae/deals/national-deal/gg-home-market-4-14/41953677?utm_source=GRPN&utm_medium=Search&ref=Search&kw=busi)

falconeasydriver
20th Jul 2014, 10:08
I like it, enough room for my shreddies, clean shirt(s) jeans, trainers, and a few other odds and sods for the 24hr summer EU/Africa/Asia layover. No waiting for a suitcase at the rotunda anymore for me :E

Swansafa
20th Jul 2014, 13:42
Yes but FED what do you do about your LAGs in your carry on bag - you know, toothpaste, bryllcreem, KY, etc...

Don't the nazis take it all away from you at the airport when you go anywhere near the USA?

TransitCheck
20th Jul 2014, 14:45
Swansafa must translate into bigot in some language.

go46ball
20th Jul 2014, 15:52
As long as your in uniform you can carry all your liquids and jells with you. Out of uniform different story. I can't believe that a uniform shirt is a secure item. With it on anything through, with it off your just like the rest of the cattle.

TransitCheck
21st Jul 2014, 08:47
That was a guy I flew with back in the 90's who was a bigot. Name removed to protect the innocent.....I didn't search the EK seniority list before I posted.

nakbin330
21st Jul 2014, 09:49
Rumour has it that the locals, amongst others, are refusing to use Stealey's Wheels because they are adorned with crosses.

Fix this one Al.

BobDole
21st Jul 2014, 10:17
It looks to me like it's more of a plus sign than a cross. :E

THRCLB
21st Jul 2014, 10:45
1st of August ! Did we receive this from feet management or some one in Uniform store that mandate to use the bag !!!

Schnowzer
21st Jul 2014, 12:38
Did we receive this from feet management

Tell me it isn't so. Are they hoping to issue compulsory socks and shoes too?

330airbus
21st Jul 2014, 16:21
Just to answer the OP. Yes, we have to use company bag at QR.
Ofcourse you have people not doing so, but according to the "rules", we should be using company FD bag.
Seems like EK isn't a much better place than QR lately. Minus the fact that living in Dubai beats the hell out of Doha anyway.

My family seem to love it anyway.
Happy wife happy life.
Safe landings :ok:

ExpatBrat
22nd Jul 2014, 06:01
It's the Swiss cross, not a Christian cross.

The rumour I heard was the objection was so strong they were going to replace ALL the flight bags but it seems to me if this were true they would not have just issued a notice that use of the bag is mandatory beginning August 1st.

Then again, ya never know here.

Personally I like the bag. It's not a raise but it's a good, well designed, well made flight bag.

skyvan
22nd Jul 2014, 12:31
It's not a flight bag, it is a laptop bag for a traveling salesman!

Since when has a flight bag come with a compartment for your clothes?

And have you tried to get anything out of the "office" compartments while in your seat?

I would have hoped that a serving pilot would have been involved in the selection of this bag, instead it appears that those responsible have never sat in one of our aluminum tubes for 8 hours at a stretch so have no clue as to what makes for a decent flight bag.

What do you carry, as a line pilot? Your licence and test card, a medical paper, a passport and maybe a spare pair of glasses in addition to your sunglasses. Over and above that, the nice to haves include a clipboard and maybe an illicit iPad! Quite frankly, anything bigger than a small laptop bag is overkill. This "flight bag" is not just overkill, it's a downright massacre!

Yes, I have emailed the bosses, I await their reply with a total lack of anticipation.

nakbin330
22nd Jul 2014, 12:44
It was 'flight tested' but whatever the feedback was made no difference. TCAS had already made his decision. The trial was an attempt to show that somebody actually gave a damn.

B. Bonga
22nd Jul 2014, 14:05
I just don't get it. Maybe am missing something as always:ugh: what do u guys carry in your bag ? I have seen enough flight crew dragging the flight/clothes bag full and it's almost bursting at the seams approaching rugby ball proportion with loads of zippers and crosses !

Besides the licence, clipboard, "illicit" iPad/13"/15" laptop, wallet, mobile and a book on the mating habits of Bonobo monkies, i cannot seem to fill up my old bag which is way smaller than the new bag. And the odd EK pilot fills up their bag. What's in your bag ? Olive oil ?

AND apparently some people actually "quite like" the new bag. :rolleyes: What's to like ? And yes t makes us look like travelling salesman ! It's not free FYI:=

captainsmiffy
22nd Jul 2014, 15:09
Precious little room for ones magic box.....

SOPS
22nd Jul 2014, 15:57
It's not free?

Panther 88
22nd Jul 2014, 22:18
Stealey's wheelies!

Desdihold
23rd Jul 2014, 07:15
This bag just doesn't fit on the 777 flight deck especially during ULR flights when we can have four of these on the flight deck plus two extra nav bags.

In the case where we dont have an efb 2 I prefer to have the nav bag beside me which means the company issued flight bag needs to be somewhere out of reach.... how I miss my own smaller flight bag.

This is just a stupid move by the company.

Tight Seat
23rd Jul 2014, 08:15
You could just follow my example.

Take out all the silly inserts, dividers the just pop you older, small nav bag inside. When you get onto the aircraft dispense with the outer bag into the closet until the end of the flight.

Easy. :E

alwayzinit
23rd Jul 2014, 18:36
The bag is fine imho, though the handle is a touch on the short side for us taller specimens !

What does press my puzzle muscle is why TCAS is so obsessed with rolling luggage as opposed to the constant rostering into the fatigue inducing 18-30 hr rest period.

Ah well "Hello Tomorrow!" as the dawn rises for another night burning holes in the sky!

aslan1982
23rd Jul 2014, 20:05
4 pages of comments on a flight bag :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

surely there are worse things to moan about

puff m'call
25th Jul 2014, 08:41
As I said before:

Its pretty simple guys, just don't use the stupid thing!!!

fatbus
25th Jul 2014, 18:29
Who cares just use the stupid thing and stop bitching about, it s a bag get over it.

Desdihold
25th Jul 2014, 20:03
I think the UAE pilots at EK have every right to protest over the cross on the new flight bag....
The Swiss cross was a gift from the pope for the Swiss guard protecting the Vatican in Rome.
The Swiss guard still protect the Vatican to this day.

what_goes_up
26th Jul 2014, 05:26
Desdi

You are right with the Swiss Guards at the Vatican. However, the Swiss Cross (which is a Greek Cross in shape) has nothing to do with this. It is in use since around 1340 and the Swiss Guards have been around since early 1500...

But this just as a side note... :8