PDA

View Full Version : flight training in the US for foreigners

kelvin
18th Sep 2001, 08:10
Hi all, just wondering if anyone had any info on how last weeks trouble terrorist attack might effect foreign citizens wishing to conduct flight training in the U.S.
Also can anyone recommend any flight school they have attended in the US and were really happy with the training they recieved.
Feel free to email also; [email protected]

Thanks gang!

gassit
19th Sep 2001, 08:53
hey!

a mate of mine just came back b4 al that wall street stuff happened....he said colorado was really good...he would hav stsy if he didn't have to come back.....

is ansett climbing up again??

inverted flatspin
19th Sep 2001, 09:28
At the moment there is almost no training whatsoever going on, U.S. citizen or Foreigner alike but what is likely to happen in the long run is that a background check will be required before begining training. This would rule out training for nationals from quite a few countries. When I got my green card I had to provide proof of character, this involved getting a letter from the Gardai(Irish police) certifying my clean record. This letter has subsequently turned up in a number of background checks that I have gone through here in the US mostly for getting into Nuclear power plants (I used to work for a company that serviced some lab equipment used frequently in the nuke's) and most recently for my citizenship application, when I went for my interview I recognised the GARDA letterhead on one of the papers in the file my interviewer was reviewing. So the outlook for someone with a clean record and coming from a country that is friendly to the U.S. (Pretty much any where in the EU, Japan, Australia and New Zealand etc should be OK, there may be some administrative hassles but I think that it will eventually work out fine. If you come from a country that is not considered friendly, good character or not FORGET IT. Even if the Feds give the all clear you would probably have a hard time getting a flight school to take you on. The flight training community in this country is hurting badly from this outrage and regardless of the fact that any help they renderd these terrorists was entirely innocently done nobody will take a chance on anyone even remotely dodgy looking.

We live in a new world that is only a Week old the old World ended when that first plane hit.