PDA

View Full Version : JET2 Psphos to NCL Cabin Pressure

waggie
6th Jun 2014, 09:26
Well Done to the Crew for getting this on the Ground. :D

Laughable some of the comments at the end of the story.

"I thought we were going to die": Family's anguish over flight drama (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/11259574._quot_I_thought_we_were_going_to_die_quot___Family_ _39_s_anguish_over_flight_drama/?ref=var_0)

barry lloyd
6th Jun 2014, 12:32
Laughable some of the comments at the end of the story.

As laughable as the heading, perhaps? :)

AndoniP
6th Jun 2014, 17:03
If you want to save your blood pressure going through the roof don't read the mail version then :(

OhNoCB
7th Jun 2014, 14:27
They could have a least diverted the plane to a more scenic airport for the 'emergency landing' - the view looks shocking from the picture above. And then when you thought it could get any worse they give you CRISPS....

Am I failing to detect sarcasm or do I just not want to believe what I read?

ex-XL-in-exile
9th Jun 2014, 15:13
Just to play devil's advocate, I'm sure some of the pax DID whip themselves up into an apocalyptic fever. Afterall, they don't know what is and what isn't a "normal" emergency scenario - especially once-in-a-blue-moon holiday travellers who are often terrified of flying anyway, never mind throwing a diversion into the mix. I've experienced pax who would consider a spot of light chop as the dawning of the end of mankind.

I even had a young cabin crew member on a DUS - LBA flight who sh*t himself so much during a brief mild breeze (god help him at LBA in winter) that he needed to have a little sit down.

So, yeah - I can well see how they (the pax) might think that they were about to crash. They weren't, we know that - but just as with, real world example, go-arounds are perfectly normal they are still frightening to the inexperienced flyer. And as crew we shouldn't be get ingnorant and presume that what's straightforward for us is automatically comfortable for pax.

A mate and ex-colleague of mine had his mum in the jumpseat in Vietnam and even though it was her own son as F/O explaining everything that was going on she was still scared stiff when they hit weather.

What REALLY needs to happen here is for journalists and editors to stop using the easy quote from scared pax and work out whether or not there actually was a risk to the flight before reporting that it was about to plummet into an orphanage in a ball of flames despite actually landing fairly normally.

Sensible, investigative journalism could well help aviation in terms of promoting better safety for us all if exposing faults or slack management is genuinely in the public interest. But sensationalistic stuff like this, born out of exploiting vulnerable, inexperienced and nervous flyers with no real knowledge of aviation drags the whole industry through the mire.

The irony being that if, say, a British carrier suffered financial hardship and shed jobs on the back of publicity the press ran about a relatively minor incident then those same papers would undoubtedly mourn the job losses with a degree of fury.

I'm off for a cuppa now. !!