PDA

View Full Version : Where to hire?

ClearedTakeOff
5th Jun 2014, 20:48
I'm looking for somewhere local to the Harrogate area to go flying during the evenings. The aim is to build time towards the CPL/IR. I've already tried multiflight at LBA but they seem somewhat unreliable and also their crosswind limits seem ridiculously low. Where would you suggest?

flybymike
5th Jun 2014, 22:54
Sherburn and Bagby are the obvious choices.
As a matter of interest what are Multiflight's crosswind limits?

Helicopterdriverguy
6th Jun 2014, 01:48
Cessna 150 hire at York Flying School at Breighton airfield is only £100 P/H wet hobs. No hire limits or any of that.

India Four Two
6th Jun 2014, 06:00
I couldn't resist looking it up.

Multiflight's Flying Order Book is a bit over the top in places, but the wind limits seem reasonable to me.

Wind speed limitations for the operation of company aircraft are as follows:-
C152 13kts crosswind and 30kts max surface
PA28 17kts crosswind and 30kts max surface
Robin 200 18kts crosswind and 30kts max surface
BE76 25kts crosswind and 40kts max surface
For PPL holders and students the max surface wind is 25kts

Sir Niall Dementia
6th Jun 2014, 07:14
IIRC (and its' been a long time since I flew a PA28) 17kt as shown in India Four Two's quote is the maximum demonstrated crosswind for a PA28 Warrior. So maybe Multi Flight's flying order book is not that restrictive.

A maximum demonstrated crosswind is basically the maximum wind they got to during the initial flight test process and was put into the POH as such as they hadn't been able to get a higher cross wind during testing.

SND

India Four Two
6th Jun 2014, 08:15
SND,

I'm always very conservative when it comes to strong crosswind components, particularly if I'm flying an unfamiliar type. There are only two types that I am sufficiently familiar with that I am prepared to operate up to the demonstrated limits: C172 and Bellanca Scout.

Sir Niall Dementia
6th Jun 2014, 13:20
IFT;

I did once try a Bellanca Scout in a 25ky cross wind, feet were going like a 1920's tap dancer!

SND

thing
6th Jun 2014, 20:58
Their 152 xwind limit is actually higher than book, the POH gives 12kts.

17 kts is max demonstrated for the 28, don't know about the others.

Interestingly the two types of 172 I fly don't have a demonstrated limit, it's just 'the average pilot should be able to manage a 15mph xwind.'

India Four Two
7th Jun 2014, 06:24
feet were going like a 1920's tap dancer!

I can well imagine that! :eek:

Anything greater than the book 15 kt figure and I'll land into wind, across the runway or on a convenient taxiway or patch of grass!

A little thread drift. Years ago somebody took my favourite (i.e. cheap) rental 172 to Lethbridge (CYQL - the stomping ground of evansb) and landed into the teeth of a howling Chinook - 45 kts and gusting higher. So far so good. Then he turned around to backtrack and promptly ended up on his back!

ClearedTakeOff
12th Jun 2014, 18:16
Anybody know of any decent shares around in North Yorkshire for SEPs?

Flyingmac
13th Jun 2014, 15:10
Try here. You'll struggle to find anything cheaper, and the aircraft are well kitted out and tidy. Currently G-CLUX and G-KAIR. 172 and Archer.

http://www.flyingfoxaviation.co.uk/AircraftRental.html

GrahamKing
14th Jun 2014, 14:24
I am looking for a 182 or 206 for hire, I would also consider a A36 or Saratoga, I want a big rear door and an owner who doesn't mind my bikes/skis/surfboard etc. going in the back, in the area towards the east/north east of London (outside), I am planning to fly around 40 hours a year, and have around 2000hrs. I hold Easa SEP/MEP IMC night and FAA CPL/IR. The area sweet spot for me would be inside and around the line from Stansted to North Weald to Damyns Hall to Southend to Stansted, I drive past Northweal and Stapleford abbotts two or three times per week. I hope someone can help. I have found it quite difficult, so much so that I'm considering starting a group for a 206, anyone interested?

dera
15th Jun 2014, 13:37
Modern Air in Fowlmere has a P32R-301 Saratoga for rent. I can highly recommend them.