PDA

View Full Version : Bl**dy Crabs!

MightyGem
5th Jun 2014, 20:33
The crew of a British nuclear submarine faced death in soaring temperatures when its air conditioning failed, it emerged yesterday.

Commanding officer Ryan Ramsey feared members of his 130-strong crew would die during the 2011 incident on HMS Turbulent, which had surfaced in the Indian Ocean.

Equipment began failing in 140F temperatures and men were collapsing. Commander Ramsey ordered the sub to dive and it finally cooled in deep waters.

It emerged that inlet pipes were blocked by crabs and barnacles.

British submarine crew nearly died in Indian Ocean after air-conditioning got clogged | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2649074/Crew-British-nuclear-submarine-nearly-died-140F-temperatures-air-conditioning-got-clogged-crabs-barnacles-Indian-Ocean.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490)

ettore
5th Jun 2014, 20:43
How about the crabs and barnacles ? Can they - or do they need to - breath in deep waters ? :confused:

ShotOne
5th Jun 2014, 20:47
The title suggested this was going to be another tirade against the RAF by the senior service!

Why "crabs" anyway? Always wondered...

Wensleydale
5th Jun 2014, 21:08
Why "crabs" anyway? Always wondered...

The colour of the RAF uniform was similar to "Crab Grey" which was used by the Navy to paint warships.

Simplythebeast
5th Jun 2014, 21:28
Found this and it seems reasonable.........."A plausible explanation as to why the RN refer to the RAF as 'crabs' goes back to the days of rum, sodomy and the lash (about last week in fact). One of the more unsavoury aspects of the average matelot was his unfortunate habit of contracting pubic lice or "crabs" during his shore leave. The treatment for this condition was to get a chum or shipmate to apply a liberal application of a greasy blue/grey ointment (known affectionately as "crab fat") to the affected area. The proper name for the ointment was Blue Unction.

With the RN's usual powers of wit and sophistication the RAF were thereafter referred to as 'crab fats' (or crabs for short) as their blue/grey uniform was exactly the same colour as the stuff that the filthy little ratings rubbed on their swollen and lice-ravaged goolies."

NutLoose
5th Jun 2014, 21:31
that the filthy little ratings rubbed on their swollen and lice-ravaged goolies

I always thought they rubbed them on another rating

SilsoeSid
5th Jun 2014, 21:36
I always thought it was because SAC stood for 'Sideways Ambling Creature'
:ok:

smujsmith
5th Jun 2014, 22:21
I was always under the belief that the RAF were known as "Crabs" by the rum, bum and baccy boys, because of the sideways shuffling during the right dress manoeuvre whilst drilling. I since found out though, that they too shuffle in a likewise manner. So, apart from the foregoing, I'm back to square one.

Smudge:ok:

cornish-stormrider
5th Jun 2014, 23:43
or its that in the days of mighty piston engined aircraft the dim witted stick poler couldn't see over the donk - so they had to weave and scuttle sideways, hence crabs.

I know, Lets ask an expert - Beags, how the devil are ye, you were about before the wright brothers - I heard you were checked out by the Montgolfier Brothers :E - do you know any other reason why ??

and how are you finding your life in these here modern times with newfangled gadgetry?

and to all the master race who take offence at "dim witted stick poler" I say to you - they sent monkeys into space, but they never let them fix the rocket.......:E

Navaleye
6th Jun 2014, 04:01
I thought it was due to walking sideways.:hmm:

Robert Cooper
6th Jun 2014, 04:55
The Beast has the right of it.

Bob C :ok:

Trim Stab
6th Jun 2014, 05:51
It emerged that inlet pipes were blocked by crabs and barnacles.

I'm surprised that none of the boat's engineers thought of that possibility earlier.

Tourist
6th Jun 2014, 06:39
Trim

Have you considered the possibility that the engineers knew all along exactly what the problem was, yet were unable to find a suitable area of flat water in the middle of the ocean to effect a cleaning operation? You cannot just lob a couple of divers overboard in rough sea.

It aint an aircraft with conveniently available hangars around for repairs.

ShotOne
6th Jun 2014, 06:59
Got to say none of these explanations are very plausible. Why would one choose a derogatory nickname for a rival service that hinged on admitting ones own grubby habits and poor hygiene?

As for "crab grey" I have been unable to find any reference to the colour being so described...Although I did discover the concept of painting warships in a low-vis scheme was pioneered by the Imperial German Navy -demonstrating again their unsportsmanlike attitude to warfare.

Tourist
6th Jun 2014, 07:10
ShotOne

Have you ever met a Matelot?

You use of the word "admitting" shows a total lack of understanding of the breed.

Revelling would be closer to the truth.

Trim Stab
6th Jun 2014, 08:40
Trim

Have you considered the possibility that the engineers knew all along exactly what the problem was, yet were unable to find a suitable area of flat water in the middle of the ocean to effect a cleaning operation? You cannot just lob a couple of divers overboard in rough sea.

If the possibility of putting a diver out had been discounted due to sea-state, I'd have thought that it might be mentioned in the article. Moreover, they opened hatches (note plural - so at least one deck hatch) to vent air, so it can't have been all that rough. Admittedly my experience on submarines was twenty odd years ago as non-crew soldier on Oberon class, but conditions had to be very calm before we were allowed out of the deck hatches. The article leaves a lot of questions unanswered - but that is always the case in the press.

Fat Magpie
6th Jun 2014, 08:40
I should imagine the whole incident to be very frightening, 60 degree heat would be no laughing matter in a confined space.
The decision to dive to cool the boat must have being sphincter tightening moment, not fully knowing the reason for the failures and what other systems may have been effected.

The thing may never have surfaced again.

Crabs huh

Tashengurt
6th Jun 2014, 08:56
Showing my ignorance here but crabs and barnacles aren't just floating around in the worlds oceans are they? Surely the sub must have been sitting on the deck somewhere for some time for all these things to make their way into inlets?
Also, crabs and barnacles having been around at least a year or two longer than subs, how come the potential for this to happen wasn't dealt with at the design stage? :confused:

althenick
6th Jun 2014, 10:01
Tashengurt
I depends what time of year everything starts to reproduce in that part of the world...

I keep a Boat in Troon in Yacht Haven all year round, I keep it in good order and the anitfouling gets replaced every 2 years. come about July/August despite best efforts everything starts sticking to the non anifouled bits that are below water. It only takes a couple of days for this to happen.
I'm not sure about antifouling on Subs but I would imagine stuff like water inlets would not be very well protected.

Navaleye
6th Jun 2014, 12:14
I seem to remember it was bad Wardroom practice to refer to the RAF by name, it was usually "Them" or "Crab". You were always professionally courteous and I always enjoyed the time I spent at RAF Stations the last being to Wattisham and wherever JARIC was located. Brampton? Forgotten now. I always found my light blue counterparts extremely professional and I'm sure they had a few choice expressions about the Navy. :*

Wrathmonk
6th Jun 2014, 12:23
I'm sure they had a few choice expressions about the Navy

Not forgetting the campaign to undermine naval terminology on the joint RAF/RN Canberra squadron at RAF Wyton....

Blacksheep
6th Jun 2014, 12:52
I'm sure they had a few choice expressions about the Navy."Hairies" - short for hairy arsed Matelots being one of them.

We had a Royal Navy work party in our hangar, doing a Minor* on one of our Whirlwinds. We all got on very well, with lots of banter. 32 Squadron's HS125 crews were 50% Royal Navy. One day I was working on our Gazelle when the Petty Officer in charge of the naval work party came out of the office and climbed up the side of the Whirlwind.

"Hello Sailor!" I cried out in my best high pitched squeaky voice - just as a Lieutenant Commander (complete with full set) emerged from behind the tool cabinet. He was not amused and I had a hard time explaining myself to our Squadron commander later. The sailors of course, found the whole thing hilarious.

teeteringhead
6th Jun 2014, 13:05
Cor - this crab/crabfat thing comes up on Pprune every coupla years or so.

On which occasions I usually add the following two facts (sic); so for completeness I do so again:

1. Pubic lice are known in French as Papillons d'Amour - butterflies of love. ;)

2. The aforesaid phthiris pubis is becoming something of an endangered species as - er :O - fashions of the nether regions named after a Portuguese-speaking South American country are depriving them of their natural habitat. (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-13/brazilian-bikini-waxes-make-crab-lice-endangered-species-health.html) :(

Navaleye
6th Jun 2014, 13:07
Not forgetting the campaign to undermine naval terminology on the joint RAF/RN Canberra squadron at RAF Wyton....

and moving Australia:uhoh:

NutherA2
6th Jun 2014, 13:23
I can't remember the reference, but I once saw pubic lice described as "Mechanised Dandruff".

Hempy
6th Jun 2014, 14:29
"Blue unction has only one function:
It's used for the killing of crabs,
Which some calls the mechanised dandruff,
And others the Sandy McNabs."

Dan Gerous
6th Jun 2014, 21:06
Way back in the 70's at Lossie, I asked our resident Matelot, why they called folk crabs. He said it was used to describe a naval type who'd only served on shore bases.

MightyGem
6th Jun 2014, 21:11
The title suggested this was going to be another tirade against the RAF by the senior service!
Did it really?? :E

The_1
6th Jun 2014, 22:14
Found this and it seems reasonable.........."A plausible explanation as to why the RN refer to the RAF as 'crabs' goes back to the days of rum, sodomy and the lash (about last week in fact). One of the more unsavoury aspects of the average matelot was his unfortunate habit of contracting pubic lice or "crabs" during his shore leave. The treatment for this condition was to get a chum or shipmate to apply a liberal application of a greasy blue/grey ointment (known affectionately as "crab fat") to the affected area. The proper name for the ointment was Blue Unction.

With the RN's usual powers of wit and sophistication the RAF were thereafter referred to as 'crab fats' (or crabs for short) as their blue/grey uniform was exactly the same colour as the stuff that the filthy little ratings rubbed on their swollen and lice-ravaged goolies."

Haha....oh really - get a chum to do it eh...why not do it yourself?! Easy enough to apply to ones own nether reasons ain't it...but that just sums up Jack nicely..any excuse to get a helping hand ooooer missus!

diginagain
6th Jun 2014, 22:55
Did it really??
Given his background, I suspect MG's trying to drive a wedge between the senior and the junior services.

Mickj3
7th Jun 2014, 04:41
I heard that the superior intellect of the average light blue suit got under the skin of the average thick dark bluesy type. Under your skin = Crabs.:O

MightyGem
7th Jun 2014, 14:18
Perish the thought. ;)

Blacksheep
9th Jun 2014, 19:41
Latin: Pediculosis Pubis

English translation: Pattering of little feet on the private parts.

teeteringhead
10th Jun 2014, 18:41

English translation: Pattering of little feet on the private parts. Must be a classically-educated doctor - with a sense of humour! :ok:

MadsDad
10th Jun 2014, 19:00

English translation: Pattering of little feet on the private parts.

First sighting of that that I have seen was from the RN in the Nicholas Montserrat book 'Three Corvettes' (a print of articles he wrote in WW II), but I have no doubt it predates that time.