PDA

View Full Version : The Peterborians are revolting...

Paracab
5th Jun 2014, 19:41
It doesn't take much to upset this lot - including the sound of freedom apparently. Not all of them I should add, but a few really need to have a word with themselves.

http://m.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/politics/politics-news/loud-bang-heard-over-peterborough-was-sonic-boom-1-6101729

500N
5th Jun 2014, 19:46
What is wrong with a Sonic boom once in a while ?

Chris we must be breeding a bunch of softies !

Simplythebeast
5th Jun 2014, 20:26
Rocked their houses? Really? They should have lived near us at Binbrook in the sixties. Better sell them Eurofighters and get something a tad slower I suppose.

Capetonian
5th Jun 2014, 21:47
Elizabeth Buckeley, in Orton Longueville, said: “The bang was so loud I thought the planes had crashed.
“The planes should not be allowed to do that over a city.
“I have never heard anything like it. I have heard sonic booms before, but only from a distance.”
I heard it, nothing alarming, was just outside the town centre, about 4 miles to the north. The friend I was with, who lives here, said it was unusual and he doesn't remember the last time he heard a sonic boom.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
6th Jun 2014, 07:43
What's the average bang to compensation time?

Capetonian
6th Jun 2014, 07:48
9 months? Oh .... I see what you mean!

FantomZorbin
6th Jun 2014, 09:59
... :D:D:D

Wander00
6th Jun 2014, 10:29
Just sent an e-mail to the Peterborough paper in response - pointed out that "jet noise is the sound of freedom - say thank you for the air defence provided by the RAF"

Capetonian
6th Jun 2014, 10:53
Dear Sirs

I found the sonic boom reassuring. It proves that despite what successive limp-wristed governments have done to the UK’s defence and public services, the country still has a functioning Air Force that is capable of responding to a potential threat.

Email to the 'Peterborough Today' newspaper. I doubt if they will publish it as is.

Tashengurt
6th Jun 2014, 11:17
I'd love to hear a sonic boom again. Haven't done so since about 1978.
I bet it's a nicer sound than a 767 coming through your window.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

Dysonsphere
6th Jun 2014, 11:21
Really rock my house Id sue the builders. Damm wimps

Roland Pulfrew
6th Jun 2014, 11:26
I love the way that the Peterporough Telegraph continues to spread the myth that there are 3 'n's in Coningsby. I believe it must be a sister station of Honington which often has 4.

NutLoose
6th Jun 2014, 11:31
I'd love to hear a sonic boom again. Haven't done so since about 1978.
I bet it's a nicer sound than a 767 coming through your window

Get your whip out of the wardrobe and have a few cracks at that, it creates a mini sonic boom to produce the noise :8

You can leave the leather chaps in the wardrobe to avoid embarrassment :p

gr4techie
6th Jun 2014, 11:41
The Peterborians are revolting

I always found that part of the country a revolting place.

Basil
6th Jun 2014, 11:44
Public comment to the Peterborough Telegraph seems solidly onside :ok:
Last I heard was a few years ago whilst sailing Prince William in the North Sea; visited by low level Tornado followed some time later by 'boom-boom'. Can the Tornado exceed M1.0? :E

teeteringhead
6th Jun 2014, 11:57
Heard one once from a Air France Concorde when I was sailing from Brest to the Solent.

Rattled our sails a touch - but "shook houses" hmmmmmmmmm. I don't think so.

FantomZorbin
6th Jun 2014, 12:39
Last one I heard was when I was sitting in the garden of the OM RAF Akrotiri whilst sipping a Brandy Sour :} ... 'twas Concorde!

Martin the Martian
6th Jun 2014, 13:01
Apparently there was a sonic boom heard at the Royal Cornwall Show in Wadebridge yesterday. I am informed that there were F-15s about.

Barksdale Boy
6th Jun 2014, 16:25
On my first squadron five of us were from Peterborough. Damn fine squadron, damn fine city.

Tankertrashnav
6th Jun 2014, 16:43
Takes me back to the late 70s when I first moved to West Cornwall and the nightly incoming Concorde would rattle the windows on occasion. If you had an "up country" visitor, the single word "Concorde" was sufficient explanation. After a while they shifted the point at which she went subsonic further West and the booms stopped, which I thought was a pity.

diginagain
6th Jun 2014, 17:43
TTN, the boom was still a nightly feature into the late 1990s - perhaps weather-dependent, but I could hear it in Camborne in 1996.

nimboboy
6th Jun 2014, 21:10
Remember it well, always amused me that the birds (pheasants mostly) always reacted before we could hear it.

Martin the Martian
6th Jun 2014, 21:58
diginagain- sure that wasn't the usual happenings at the Berkeley Centre that you heard?;)

I remember hearing the booms into the late 1990s as well, being resident in the same town. Occasionally, later on, there would be another boom which I took to be Project Aurora:suspect:.

diginagain
6th Jun 2014, 22:50
diginagain- sure that wasn't the usual happenings at the Berkeley Centre that you heard?A little too early in the evening for that sort of thing, perhaps? :ok: Might have been Tyacks.

gr4techie
6th Jun 2014, 23:13
You could set your watch to the sonic booms over Oklahoma

An FAA-hired camera crew, filming a group of construction workers, were surprised to find that the booms signalled their lunch break.

Oklahoma City sonic boom tests - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_sonic_boom_tests)

Pom Pax
7th Jun 2014, 03:59
One clear midsummer evening whilst lying at anchor on the South side of St Mawes creek, a friendly dolphin playing with the dinghy when the tranquillity of the evening is disturbed. To the South glinting in sunset at the head of it's contrail is AF's Concorde inward bound. A second boom and there is a mirror image as BA heads up the Bristol Channel.
This double sonic boom generally about 20 minutes apart was a nightly occurrence in the Dutchy during the 70s. After the assurances that BA were starting their let down further West the first boom still was regularly heard in Lanner.

For those blaming Tyacks if there was a second bang it was probably the Penventon! For those requiring research as to why these bangs persist long after the withdrawal of Concorde Kernow King has an explanation.

diginagain
7th Jun 2014, 04:48
Penventon? They don't know how to throw a party in Redruth.

Martin the Martian
7th Jun 2014, 09:47
As the husband of a Camborne maid I can neither confirm nor deny anything you may hear about them.

Mostly because I wish to keep all my vital parts intact and operational.:oh::ouch:

diginagain
7th Jun 2014, 16:48
Wise words, mate.

camelspyyder
7th Jun 2014, 23:15
Peterboro' v's RAF kicked off...

RAF To Bomb Peterborough Back To Stone Age (http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/war/raf-to-bomb-peterborough-back-to-stone-age-20080307777)

why didn't it happen??

chevvron
8th Jun 2014, 02:36
According to a book I read years ago, booms have occurred in Cornwall and Devon for several hundred years; I believe they're referred to as 'barisal guns'.

Rosevidney1
8th Jun 2014, 20:09
Well done chevron. That is a new word for my lexicon. I will use it frequently from now on - but I wonder how many will know what it means? (I am not aware of Bangladeshi's living in my area!)

Martin the Martian
9th Jun 2014, 13:54
Well, I guess you really do learn something new every day:

Mistpouffers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistpouffers)

ericferret
12th Jun 2014, 17:48
The sound of freedom indeed.

The sound of free englishmen and women rising to complain whether in the right or wrong.
That they are able to do this without fear of a knock on the door in the middle of the night. That is freedom. Long may they moan (even when wrong).

gzornenplatz
12th Jun 2014, 19:02
The Peterburgers have nothing to complain about. they should have been in Dhahran in 1991 when you were frequently woken by the sonic boom of a Patriot leaving the tube, an excellent indication that a Scud was inbound, The Scud usually made a much bigger bnag.