PDA

View Full Version : RNAV Approaches

loucat76
4th Jun 2014, 16:55
I've noticed that here in the US several of the large airports like ORD and ATL have several RNAV approaches besides ILS and LOC approaches. Listening to ATC at these airports it doesn't seem like RNAV approaches are ever used. How often,if ever are RNAV approaches used for commercial aircraft at major airports?Thanks.

Callsign Kilo
6th Jun 2014, 20:27
When the ILS is U/S - this can me the most probable reason. Alternatively, when a runway doesn't have a precision approach aid. And on some occasions, for training purposes (usually on operator request with ATC)

Also remember that not all airlines are RNAV approach approved. This is an arrangement made between the state regulator and the operator. The airline must operate the relative equipment also and will have carried out the relevant crew training, usually during recurrent or initial simulator training.

ZOOKER
8th Jun 2014, 19:25
This was trialled at EGCC about 15 years ago, with Airtours B757s which had the requisite onboard kit. Procedures were developed using 4 intermediate way-points for the then single R/W 06/24. It only worked when the requesting a/c was the only traffic around. Trying to organise an approach sequence around it was almost impossible.
I think the way-points were called BUSBY, TRAFA MELLA and ETLEY.

MarkerInbound
9th Jun 2014, 16:33
Anchorage was advertising the RNAV to 7L last week along with ILS 7L out of service.

bhx bod
10th Jun 2014, 11:58
Whilst the runway extension works were going on the BHX ILS has been switched off.As far as I can tell most approaches have been RNAV with a new waypoint(OVDOV)introduced.The exact location of this point I don't know,so if anyone knows I would be interested to know.
Now the runway works are finished,for the time being at least,the ILS is back in use,however only to CAT 1.I believe it will remain like this until the runway is resurfaced again during the coming winter.Hopefully it will then be back to full CAT 3 status.

tom775257
10th Jun 2014, 13:28
bhx bod:

RNAV 15 (all on runway inbound QDM 148): NODGU: 11 miles 3200'. BB15F 6.7 miles 2500' then 3 degree slope to the runway.

RNAV 33 (all on runway inbound QDM 328): OVDOV 9.4NM, 2800'. BB33F 5.1NM 2000' then 3 degree slope to the runway.

bhx bod
10th Jun 2014, 13:38
Thanks for the info.
I did forget that a 2nd new waypoint had been added(NODGU):ok:

Sir George Cayley
11th Jun 2014, 19:31
BUSBY and TRAFA:confused: Clearly a United fan picked these.

SGC

ZOOKER
12th Jun 2014, 17:32
Correct Sir George. There were 2 of them working in ATC Ops when these procedures were developed.