PDA

View Full Version : Fast low turboprop over north London

rcowan
3rd Jun 2014, 22:00
Just curious but just heard a low fast moving turboprop over Stanmore tonight, sounds like it did a couple of passes in past thirty mins, not the usual Army Aircorp Islander/Defender...
Any ideas?

chevvron
3rd Jun 2014, 22:04
You'd be better off not asking any questions otherwise someone might be knocking on your door!!http://www.pprune.org/images/icons/46.gif

mad_jock
4th Jun 2014, 08:53
The highly secret defender that everyone knows about :D

They still use twin TP's for low level NAV training after they got rid of the Jetstreams.

But to be honest it could be anything a IR survey looking for pipeline leaks.

DaveReidUK
4th Jun 2014, 08:55
"Low and fast" doesn't sound particularly suspicious.

Now if you'd said "high and slow" ...

Like this, for example: http://myneighbourhood.bksv.com/lhr//home/webtrak/2270003

(I did suggest to Heathrow several weeks ago that it might be prudent to remove this, but they didn't respond)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Jun 2014, 09:09
Looks like they've responded to your suggestion Dave.

DaveReidUK
4th Jun 2014, 10:14
Looks like they've responded to your suggestion DaveAfraid not, it's still there. It's just that the site is very slow at the moment, probably everybody at GCHQ trying to log on at once. :O

treadigraph
4th Jun 2014, 10:37
Low fast turboprops over South London - Croydon/Purley - are mostly either King Airs or PC-12s in/out/passing Biggin.

Given the proximity to Northolt (do Denham/Elstree operate after dark?) I would have thought perhaps something similar?

Can't open Dave's link, my work PC apparently has an "out of date browser" - true!

rcowan
4th Jun 2014, 21:17
TVM for the answers. Just to add pretty sure Elstree doesn't do night ops, although you never know..also being under the flight path for Northolt might be a King Air...loving the "it's a a secret" Defender comment...it's a regular visiter to the skies over Stanmore. High and slow but not exactly stealthy on the noise front......;)