PDA

View Full Version : Can you replace an old C172 yoke with a new model?

Koosaima
2nd Jun 2014, 08:58
I'm in no way precious but I recently flew two Cessna 172's and they both were the older style yoke, which I can only describe as one of those 1990 dog chews for tug of war which look like two rounded off triangles with a thicker bit in the middle.

I was wondering if it could be done or how easy it would be to swap it for the iconic 172 skyhawk design.

Why bother? you may ask... well I've been a driver/rider, deliveryman, commuter, and the one thing that makes a difference to me is the wheel/yoke/handlebars, if it feels comfortable with what I'm grabbing onto it makes the ride a whole lot more enjoyable. I know it may sound silly.

I been thinking about purchase/plane shares etc, but didn't want to set my budget a lot higher for a newer aircraft for the sake of "I don't like the steering wheel :ugh:"

If it can't be done so be it, I was just interested to find out if it could.

I'm sorry for my limited knowledge, I've nearly finished my PPL so I'm that typical novice who wants to learn everything at once and has no idea what he's talking about, but I figure if you don't ask you'll be none the wiser :ok:

Helicopterdriverguy
2nd Jun 2014, 14:58
You can, with allot of EASA/CAA cost.

Big Pistons Forever
2nd Jun 2014, 17:56
What do you mean by "iconic Skyhawk" design ?

3 Point
2nd Jun 2014, 19:51
I once owned a C120 which had been fitted with horrid C152 style yolks, looked awful! I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. We removed them and replaced them with a pair of the original ones; much better.

Paperwork wise, we could see no entry in the airframe log of the replacement being made in the first place so we just swapped them back!!:ok::ok:

I suppose that going from standard to a modified part you would need EASA modification approval - that might be costly!:ugh::ugh:

3 Point