PDA

View Full Version : Vale - Sid O'Toole

QSK?
1st Jun 2014, 23:34
I am sorry to advise those who knew Sid O Toole that he passed away last Friday evening.

Many would recall Sid's last role as an air accident investigator with the CAA of Papua New Guinea and his appearance some years ago on the ABC's Foreign Correspondent program on air safety in PNG

A former pilot, Flight Service Officer and air accident investigator, Sid was a passionate aviation professional and one who cared deeply about aviation safety. He was always proactive in ensuring safety was foremost in everyone's minds.

Fly high and swiftly, wantok - your contribution towards improving aviation safety won't be forgotten.

Kiwiconehead
2nd Jun 2014, 02:27
Bloody good guy Sid.

I had a few good talks with him in the Aero.

Will be sadly missed.

004wercras
2nd Jun 2014, 06:09
Sad day for PNG and aviation in general.
Sid was a credit to the industry, a man of integrity, a tough bugger, and not to forget that his life experiences will be sorely missed.

Condolences to his family and loved ones.

Disco Stu
2nd Jun 2014, 06:11
Farewell and thanks Sid.:sad:

No Hoper
2nd Jun 2014, 07:52
We all loved Sid, beers at the POM Yacht Club, then onto the Weigh Inn and maybe down to the Aero Club.
His Meri used to bash him sometimes, and at times he deserved it, Sid was a man's man and loved his life in PNG.
Lukim yu poriman,

Ex FSO GRIFFO
2nd Jun 2014, 09:23
Thankyou for the post Mr QSK?.

Sid was truly 'One Of The Good Guys' in the industry, as a pilot, as an FSO, as an Air Accident Investigator, as well as in his personal life.

He did all he could in PNG, re Accident Investigation, that he could do, 'circumstances of the time permitting'.
(ABC program refers....)

Sincere condolences to his family, and his many friends.

Griffo

holdingagain
2nd Jun 2014, 09:58
Very sad
I haven't seen Sid since we both were chasing our CPL licences
Was always good company and have watched his proud career
An achiever who will be missed

beached az
2nd Jun 2014, 10:06
This is very sad news indeed.:sad:

I had the pleasure of meeting Sid at the Swamp the first time I went there... (and oddly enough on every subsequent occasion :O)

As a newbie expat in POM I was grateful for the insights he was able to offer.
He was always very generous in the advice he offered, looking out for the new guys as Lapun's retired. Sid had an eye on the big picture at all times.

Rest in peace mate

tail wheel
2nd Jun 2014, 17:21
How sad, taken before his time. I'm shocked at the news!

Known Sid for forty years. A dedicated aviation professional, Sid always had time for a chat over a coldie or three.

PNG aviation has lost a true professional and a real, genuine gentleman.

USA - 44 Hours - Foreign Correspondent - ABC (http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/2009/s2659621.htm)

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/investigations/hopes-fade-for-the-lessons-of-kokoda-crash/story-fn6tcs23-1225899267265)

QSK?
2nd Jun 2014, 22:59
Details of the funeral for Sid O’toole.

Albany Creek Crematorium (Brisbane)
Lakeview Room
Thursday 5 June at 10am

The family requests that in lieu of flowers people make a donation to the palliative care unit at Prince Charles Hospital. You can access the donation site on the website at the Prince Charles Hospital (Brisbane) website.

Correspondence for the family including condolence cards to Val O’Toole
24/351 Beams Road
Taigum 4018
QLD
AUSTRALIA

I'm sure Sid will be cleared to take off on his last flight by a big crowd

Pinky the pilot
6th Jun 2014, 11:05
Lukim yu Sid.:sad:

Night Beetle
7th Jun 2014, 07:06
Some drinkies and nibbles were held at The Temple on Thursday night.

Farewell old mate