PDA

View Full Version : AAPMBF - Temporary vs Permanent Loss

noclass
1st Jun 2014, 02:34
G'day,

Has anybody here had an experience (or know first hand of somebody else who has) with the AAPMBF where a temporary loss of licence has been deemed temporary even after the 2 years is up, meaning their membership of the fund is cancelled and the capital benefit not paid?

There was one fellow that posted here last year with that issue, so I am wondering if it is a common thing.

I am stuck without a medical at the moment and I am wondering whether I need to start re-skilling now while I have the 2 years of temporary payments - just in case I do not get my medical back yet the MBF deems it still to be a temporary loss.

My particular issue could quite perceivably clear up at some point, there is just no way of predicting when, and it could just as easily persist indefinitely.

Berealgetreal
1st Jun 2014, 08:48
Don't know much about the MBF apart from the fact that they are a pretty massive fund.

In your shoes I'd take the opportunity to get some other skills. This career is way to risky to pass up that opportunity, just ask the following pilots:

Compass
Ansett
Australian Airlines
GWA
Macair
Skyairworld
Air Australia
Brindabella
Vincent
Qantas 747/767 Junior pilots

Anyone else want to add to that list? If you disregard Compass it's only 15 or so years old.

Hugh Jarse
3rd Jun 2014, 06:21
noclass,

I spent just shy of 2 years without a medical. Around the 18 month mark the manager of AAPMBF contacted me and asked whether I was reasonably confident of regaining my medical (I was). She explained that after the 2 years the injury would be considered permanent and they would pay me out.

I regained my medical a couple of months after.

The interaction with them required little effort on my part - they were very proactive about the whole thing and kept me in the loop as to how my case was being managed etc.

Why not give them a call?

As for up-skilling - I would highly recommend doing so. The Fleet Manager (sic) of the company I was working for at the time called me in for a "friendly meeting, maaate" to explain that my employment would be terminated after 24 months off work (as was his right). I was fortunate enough to have a couple of very generous offers of work elsewhere in the industry "if you don't get your medical back". For that I'll always be grateful :)

noclass
3rd Jun 2014, 08:54
Thanks Bereal and Hugh

Hugh,

It's nice to hear of a pleasant experience with the fund because I have heard a couple of horror stories lately.

The real worry is being caught out at the end of two years with no medical and no payout either, and it sounds like it has happened to a few.

Hopefully I can find something in the meanwhile, either in the industry or a new skill set.