PDA

View Full Version : PPL training in the US on J1 visa

rcampos
31st May 2014, 21:53
Hey there, first post!

I did search and found some related threads, but I was still confused.

I'm going to the US for my masters degree on a J1 visa, for 2 years.

During my time there I want to obtain my private pilot license, and maybe IFR rating. I'm already aware of the TSA clearing process.

Can I undergo training with the J1 visa even if it wasn't issued for attending the flight school?

If there are limitations, should I apply for a specific visa to do it? I think only one visa applies at a time, depending on which was used for entry, but I'm just not sure anymore.

Any help is very appreciated!

Mark 1
1st Jun 2014, 16:53
I was in a similar situation at one time, on a J1N exchange training visa. The immigration attorney advised me that it wasn't acceptable for me to do IR training as it wasn't defined in my J1 programme, and as you could only hold one visa, there was no work-around.

I subsequently held an H1B which doesn't have that restriction although you still need the TSA approval.

It doesn't seem entirely clear what additional activities you can do on a J visa, so it may be worth getting an updated view on the matter.

ChickenHouse
2nd Jun 2014, 17:35
Sorry, J1 qualifies as Visiting Scholar for the US and your purpose is to teach the US guys whatever you know. It does not qualify you to undergo training. I ran through this a couple of years ago and we found definitely no way to do that legally. My advice: during J1 qualify for a greencard and get a US citizenship later on. If you deny, think, because odds are high you regrat later not searching your way to US citizen ... just my5cents.

rcampos
3rd Jun 2014, 10:56
It doesn't seem entirely clear what additional activities you can do on a J visa, so it may be worth getting an updated view on the matter.

Who can answer definitely answer this - should I reach out to an immigration attorney?

Sorry, J1 qualifies as Visiting Scholar for the US and your purpose is to teach the US guys whatever you know. It does not qualify you to undergo training. I ran through this a couple of years ago and we found definitely no way to do that legally.

That's just sad - I'll just have to accept it if there's no other way.