PDA

View Full Version : CASA changes flight crew exams

Dempster
31st May 2014, 12:53
It appears CASA are changing their style in answering any flight crew exams from June 01

Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Important Messages (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90083)

Check_Thrust
31st May 2014, 22:22
Gees that took a long time for them to set up. I remember years ago in the optional practice questions they provided immediately before you sat the actual exam that they were trailing typed answers with the intention of introducing them "soon".

Glad I got through when it was all still multiple guess! :}

MartinCh
31st May 2014, 23:25
uff, you scared me there for a sec. I havne't done my CPL conversion exams yet. If it's 'just' numbers from questions needing computing, well, then, people should have calculated those anyway.

drpixie
1st Jun 2014, 00:23
I can't see that's a bad thing - testing for actual understanding, instead of knowing/guessing answers.

Too many students (local and international) spend their study time carefully memorising specific questions - and then complain that they "hadn't seen that question before." You should understand that part of the syllabus and be able to find or calculate the answer :ugh:

... Now, if only CASA would publish the acceptable tolerances for these questions. That's what is supposed to happen for tests like these - so the exam guide can sensibly say, and CASA test for, something like "candidate should be able to calculate fuel burn, allowing for wind and temperature, at a specified altitude to within +2%/-1%".

All said by someone who did the multiple guess exams :O

Bladeangle
1st Jun 2014, 01:38
I remember a while back Secombe banging on about how he wanted the questions like this.

It prevents the candidate reverse engineering the questions from an answer on the screen. Which in some cases was certainly quicker than working it out the long way and possibly introducing errors.