PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Down [crash] South West - WA

Skystar320
31st May 2014, 08:04
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/24017922/pilot-injured-in-sw-plane-crash/

Hope for a speedy recovery.

Anyone know what type of aircraft it is?

Rotor Work
31st May 2014, 08:17
Looks to be a Beechcraft Model 17 Staggerwing

Beechcraft Model 17 Staggerwing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beechcraft_17)

Regards R W

Wally Mk2
31st May 2014, 08:18
Oh that's gotta hurt, that's a rare Beech Staggerjob (17)

Wnk2

Howard Hughes
31st May 2014, 08:27
Nah, says it was a 'Tiger Moth'! ;)

Rotor Work
31st May 2014, 08:36
At least they didnt call it a Cessna!!
Hope it can be fixed.
Regards R W

sms777
31st May 2014, 08:58
It was a Beech Staggerwing Cessna Tigermoth contraption. It could have been a homebuilt but it had a radial engine so it may have been a real aeroplane. The pilot walked, that's all that matters. :ok:

LeadSled
31st May 2014, 09:02
Folks,
Let's hope the tube centre section isn't too badly damaged, that's the only part of a Stagger Wing that is hard to fix.
Tootle pip!!

drunk_pilot
31st May 2014, 09:28
Looks like VH-FNS, or Fkn Nice Staggerwing! Well, it was.

roundsounds
31st May 2014, 10:27
Yes, looks very much like VH-FNS.

onetrack
31st May 2014, 11:04
He's a lucky boy in that he found a paddock at Dardanup that wasn't full of monstrous Jarrah mill stumps - or that lovely Staggerwing would be a total write off, and he could have easily been just another aviation fatality.
I trust the aircraft stopped short of that big Jarrah log and that she's repairable.
The pilot is in hospital in a satisfactory condition with chest, collarbone and ankle injuries. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
31st May 2014, 13:49
Looks like a 'trup' to The Croydon Aircraft Company at Mandeville (NZ) is in order...

I do hope she comes back 'good as new'...

And hope the pilot comes back 'good as new' also.....

Cheers

Dora-9
31st May 2014, 20:01
I don't know the current owner, but VH-FNS is (was?) a truly immaculate example of the Staggerwing breed. What a shame...

27/09
1st Jun 2014, 08:10
Looks like a 'trup' to The Croydon Aircraft Company at Mandeville (NZ) is in order...

I do hope she comes back 'good as new'...

And hope the pilot comes back 'good as new' also.....

Cheers

Thought they only dealt with Mr de Havilland's finest.

Dora-9
1st Jun 2014, 10:38
Thought they only dealt with Mr de Havilland's finest. Not just dH aircraft, they've recently completed a fabulous restoration of VH-UXP, a Beech C17B (actually the first Staggerwing in Australia)...

poteroo
2nd Jun 2014, 01:47
The usual sensationalist/alarmist reporting by local TV.

engine stalled and the aircraft plummeted into a paddock It did no such thing of course. The only way down from an engine failure is a controlled glide - and then fit it into a very small paddock. Which is what you see here. Unfortunately it clipped that log, but it's really a good result from a professional pilot.

There other error was in stating the pilot was very experienced,with 5000hrs A bit more than that - CS is probably one of the most experienced GA pilots in WA and he has 24,000 hrs!

happy days,