PDA

View Full Version : What level of maths?

JarredEvans
29th May 2014, 19:35
Evening all, I'm thinking of become a airline pilot for a company such as Thomas Cook. The problem is that I'm going to be honest but my GCSE maths grades are very low (Below a C). So my question is, do you need a GCSE maths to become a UK airline pilot?

davidjohnson6
29th May 2014, 19:45
Could you perhaps consider retaking gcse maths ? A grade C or above will open a lot more doors to you in life...

JarredEvans
29th May 2014, 19:48
Yes, I'm resitting my GCSE maths in June this year. I've got C's in English and A*'s in subjects such as BTEC Business, BTEC IT etc.

Stone Cold II
29th May 2014, 21:42
I flunked high school. Now left seat on A320. However times have changed and the way I did it is not really an option anymore.

JarredEvans
31st May 2014, 16:43
Thanks all for your comments. However, if I was lucky in the summer to get at least a C in maths, how would I go about of becoming a airline pilot. Would I go to my local flying school and to training on light aircrafts first?

newb1112
3rd Jun 2014, 10:49
You don't need to be an intellectual to become a commercial pilot. However 5 passes at GCSE including Maths, English and a Science are usually considered a minimum. With the over supply of pilots in the labour market airlines can become more and more picky as to what they look for. I suggest you continue to study at least two A Levels too, and pass them above a C grade ideally.

As to how you go about training do some reading on this forum.

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Jun 2014, 16:16
The reality is that you need reasonably good maths to handle both the job and the qualifying examinations.

GCSE in itself is only an indication of that.

If you did very badly in GCSE maths, then that is presumably because you haven't learned the maths very well. So, in my opinion yes, you need to go back and improve your grades - not so much because the grades matter (although they may), but because you need better maths.

I'd go further and suggest doing A levels and trying to do at least the lower level of A level maths, because realistically the maths in the ATPLs is at the top end of GCSE skill level. That is easier said than done however if both you struggle with the subject, and the school want to up their position in the league tables.

LastMinuteChanges
5th Jun 2014, 13:24
You'll need fairly speedy mental maths, but if you're capable of achieving A* in other subjects you will be able to improve your mental maths skills to a level desired by flying schools and to a level expected/required in a commercial operation.

Have a search around on PPRUNE, as there are a few websites that will be able to help you improve these aspects.

You will also need to have a sound understanding of GCSE Science so that you can pursue the ATPLs without many issues.

Hope this helps.

2close
11th Jun 2014, 12:23
"I'd go further and suggest doing A levels and trying to do at least the lower level of A level maths, because realistically the maths in the ATPLs is at the top end of GCSE skill level."

I have to disagree with this unless GCSE Maths standards have lessened significantly from the days when I did it…..and I only hold a GCE O Level (yes, that long ago!) at Grade C.

I teach ATPL theory in heavily mathematics dependent subjects and I would say that the required skills are in basic concepts such as:

Add, Subtract, Multiply, Divide
Simple Fractions
Transposition of Formulae
Simple Algebra
Geometry (Parallelograms, Circles and Triangles)
Area & Volume
Trigonometry

You certainly do not need to be able to carry out calculus, simultaneous or quadratic equations or spherical trigonometry.

The greatest failing I find is a lack of ability to carry out relatively simple mental arithmetic to approximate answers and an over-reliance on electronic calculators to find the precise answer to 12 decimal places, when it is unnecessary. The distance along a meridian between N 35° 05' 40" and N 52° 11' 55" is roughly 17° change of latitude or 1,020 NM. If there is only one answer in that ball park figure it must be correct - the fact that the actual answer is 1,026.25 NM is neither here nor there if the answers are well spread.

I would suggest a few months specific tutoring from a maths tutor who knows aviation rather than spending 1-2 years on an A Level. Not me by the way….far too busy personally but PM me and I will point you in the right direction.

:)