PDA

View Full Version : Tigerair Wheelchair Assistance

telster
29th May 2014, 00:42
Hi Guys

My mother-in-law is flying ADL-MEL and return this weekend, and is unable to walk long distances. Up and down stairs etc is ok, but especially at Melbourne walking from the aircraft to the terminal would be pushing it. So today I called Tigerair to book assistance for her, just a chair from the terminal to the bottom of the stairs.

They booked it ok, but made a point of saying that although they provide a wheelchair, there is no guarantee that there would be groundstaff to push it. She would have to be capable of wheeling her own wheelchair.

Is it me, or is that ludicrous?!

I thought airlines had a responsibility to provide assistance to disabled and elderly passengers if requested?

I'm sure it'll all be fine, and I know that she won't be left sitting on the tarmac. But, a journey that she's already nervous about, now having booked assistance rather than reassured, she's even more worried...

filthyrichandcatflap
29th May 2014, 16:05
In Europe its the Airports responsibilty to provide assistance not the Airline (that falls under EU Regulation 1107/2006) I would suggest contacting the Airport

A quick look at Tigers website reveals this little nugget of information ...
8.3 Passengers With Reduced Mobility And Requiring Special Assistance

We are not able to provide supervision for those Passengers who cannot travel alone. We are able to provide limited assistance, as set out in our Special Assistance Policy. On any flight, Tiger can carry only a maximum of two (2) Passengers with Reduced Mobility who require special assistance at the airport or on board. We must be notified of the condition/requirements at least five (5) Days before the scheduled departure. Failure to notify us in advance will result in the service being unavailable on your arrival at the airport and you being refused carriage. There may be a fee charged for some services. The services may not be available on all routes due to local airport limitations.

Maximum of two Reduced Mobility pax - shocking !!

A link on that text takes you to their special assistance policy ....
where I was shocked to read they charge for wheelchair assistance !
Tigerair will provide assistance, as far as is reasonably possible and in accordance with this Policy, to our customers who need help in order to travel with us. We will do so in a dignified and non-discriminatory manner , within the constraints of available resources.

If you require special assistance when travelling with Tigerair, please notify Tigerair via the call centre at the time of your booking. In any event, you must notify us at least 5 (five) days days before the intended departure date of your requirements. Failure to notify us of your requirements may result in the service being unavailable on arrival at the airport and being denied carriage.

The below charges apply (per way basis) for wheelchair and ambulatory lift assistance;

Wheelchair Charges = SGD50.00 (£23!!)

Ambulatory Lift Charges = SGD275.00 (£131!!!)

Robbing gits !!

telster
29th May 2014, 22:11
I know!

I'm sure it'll be fine. It's only the fact that its a bit too far for her to walk, apart from that she's completely fit and able.

It just made me laugh when they read the conditions out to me on the phone, and quickly made the comment that they can't guarantee anyone can push the wheelchair, the passenger must be capable of propelling it themselves. Not easy when also carrying luggage for a start!