PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Jobs in New Zealand

fireflybob
17th Sep 2001, 18:48
I am considering a move to New Zealand and was wondering whether anyone has knowledge of pilot vacancies in NZ or a website with information?

Thanks for any help.

Checkboard
18th Sep 2001, 09:17
Air New Zealand's two largest markets (by a huge margin) are the trans-Pacific flights to the US and the trans-Tasman flights to Australia.

Both markets were effectively closed to them over the last few days, and will suffer greatly in the long term. The airline itself requires a rescue package from Singapore (25% shareholder) and the NZ government. Singapore has the option to withdraw from that rescue package until October, and AirNZ may still find itself legally liable for $500 million in entitlements for Ansett workers - with it's market capitalization now below $500 million it is a very sick beast.

In short, the New Zealand pilot market (never very strong) is at its lowest ebb for some time.

Ficky
18th Sep 2001, 10:32
It's very simple. The NZ aviation employment market is never "strong" and as checkboard said, it's at a very low ebb. In fact I would say it's "destroyed". The double whammy of NYC events and financial collapse due to inept management of Ansett has well and truly ensured there will be many unemployed pilots for years to come on a global basis.

fireflybob
18th Sep 2001, 23:02
Thanks for your replies - I wasn't thinking so much of the airlines but perhaps general aviation, flying instruction etc.

Anyone know what the scene is for this sort of flying in NZ?

Split Flap
19th Sep 2001, 02:58
Wouldn't bother, competition is pretty hot at the moment even for instructing jobs.
If you have a lot of time on something a little different eg floatplane or helicopter then things may be a little better but from what I gather the UK is still a better place for an airline career.