PDA

View Full Version : Request for help

OafOrfUxAche
26th May 2014, 22:38
Public urged to pay respects at funeral of war hero who has almost nobody to attend | UK | News | Daily Express (http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/478299/Public-urged-to-pay-respects-at-funeral-of-war-hero-who-has-almost-nobody-to-attend).

Anyone free this Friday?

Axel-Flo
27th May 2014, 11:29
Thanks for posting this and the link. An interesting individual to say the least. I would have made the effort had I not been nearly 4000 miles away at her majesties bidding....anyway. Hope some manage to go:sad:

There was another post similar not long ago and I just though maybe we could look for a way of finding out that there are guys like this in homes etc and still alive. Maybe they'd appreciate a visit sooner rather than later. I am in no way criticising what anyone does or doesn't do but as current aircrew maybe the chance to meet and chat with our predecessors would be a more proactive mark of respect than attending a funeral later.... Really not sure where to proceed with this but some of the Associations and Benevolent Funds may be able to inform people where guys and girls in need of a visit are at the moment.

:D

Tinribs
27th May 2014, 16:31
Axel

You have hit on a great idea

You are now in charge of setting up a database of oldies in care homes and similar who we could visit and perhaps encourage or support

Start by collecting postcodes of willing helpers and then match it to targets. Probably I am a visitor, for now

You then set up a website or maybe use this one for better contact

My favourite Aunt retired from the Army as a Col and then married an Ex BoB Spitfire bloke, Robbie Roberts. Complete character now gone to the crewroom in the sky

I am NE68

fantom
27th May 2014, 18:05
I predict standing room only.

smujsmith
27th May 2014, 20:04
I for one will try to attend this. As someone who spent time in Canada and the USA during his training this might have some resonance on the "Gaining a pilots brevet I WW2...." Thread. Does anyone know how to link it ?

Smudge

Edit. Just cross threaded it to Gaining a Pilots Brevet .... I have to say, that's the first I me I've cross threaded anything since my Halton Apprenticeship. Meanwhile Axel has a great point. Perhaps being more pro active might give us all a chance to see more of what we only learn about too late. I know I enjoyed the company of an ex Wellington Coastal Command pilot for several years in my local RAFA club. Many years my senior he was a man full of stories, bonhomie and life. His passing a couple of years ago was a sad occasion, for myself and Mrs Smudge, but I have my memories of him, and his stalwart wife.