PDA

View Full Version : Revalidating an expired JAR PPL (A)

mgclements
26th May 2014, 15:00
Hi all,
Im hoping the combined brainpower of this forum could help my confused mind!

A quick bit of background first - I gained my JAR PPL in 2005, after which I did a handful of hours before quitting in 2007 ( could not afford the time or money to continue)

I have now returned to aviation in the form of gliding, in which I am currently training with my local BGA club.

The club has a Falke which is used as a tug and after a couple of flights with the DI I have started to wonder what is needed to revalidate my PPL so that I could fly it alone.

With the changes to licensing it has made it even harder to understand what is needed to revalidate my licence.

OK, so here is my dilemma...

I would like to revalidate my licence before next year but primarily I want to fly the gliding clubs Falke which I believe is classed as a TMG. My licence has long expired (7 years) and I know I would need several hours retraining but exactly whats I would have to do, I'm not sure....although Im pretty sure I wouldn't have to start over with exams etc

My question is, could I train for as many hours as is as needed with an instructor to become competent to fly the Falke (which of course also has tail wheel and wobbly prop differences), get a medical then do a skills test with an examiner for a TMG rating...or...would I need to revalidate my original SEP (land) rating first to bring the licence up to date before attempting the class and differences training?

I appreciate any input as Im a bit confused and would like to work out the most cost efficient solution to getting back in the air!

Thanks in advance

jxc
26th May 2014, 22:59
Sounds like a couple of hours to get ready for a mini skills test. I was in a similar position as you past test then applied for a EASA licence.

Mach Jump
27th May 2014, 11:29
...Im a bit confused and would like to work out the most cost efficient solution to getting back in the air!

I know. :rolleyes: Even those of us who's job it is to keep up with these things are finding it difficult to understand the embarassing shambles that the UK/EASA Licensing System has become.

There are several ways you can go, but I think the cheapest and simplest way to achieve what you want is to get a Medical Declaration from your GP, do training/test in the Falke and apply for an NPPL(SLMG), on the basis of your expired PPL.

In the future, you can then add SSEA and/or Microlight class ratings if you need to fly non EASA conventional light aircraft or microlights, (Annex 2 aircraft) or upgrade to an EASA Light Aircraft Pilot Licence (LAPL) If you want to fly EASA light aircraft such as 2/4 seat Pipers and Cessnas

MJ:ok:

kevkdg
27th May 2014, 15:10
I suspect the Falke TMG tug will be an EASA aircraft not an Annex II.

Therefore, wouldn't the NPPL simply be a stop gap and have to be changed come April 2015 for a LAPL.

Also, to have a Sailplane Towing rating added to a LAPL or EASA PPL you'll need by April 2015:

- at least 30 hours of flight time as PIC and 60 take-offs and landings in aeroplanes, if the activity is to be carried out in aeroplane, or in TMG, if the activity is to be carried out in TMGs, completed after the issue of the UK licence
- at least 10 flights as PIC towing a sailplane in an Aeroplane at a BGA Club. The Sailplane Towing Rating will be restricted to Aeroplanes only.
- at least 10 flights as PIC towing a sailplane in a TMG at a BGA Club. The Sailplane Towing Rating will be restricted to TMG’s only

Mach Jump
27th May 2014, 16:02
I suspect the Falke TMG tug will be an EASA aircraft not an Annex II.

If the Falke is an EASA aircraft, you will need at least an EASA LAPL to fly it after April 2015. In that case you may as well revive your old JAA PPL by adding a TMG Rating and, at the same time, having it re-issued as a LAPL.

If The Falke is an Annex 2 aircraft, the best route is the NPPL SLMG, and as you will be flying a non-EASA aircraft, with a non-EASA Licence, you will not need an EASA Towing Rating.

MJ:ok:

Prop swinger
28th May 2014, 10:42
mgclements (http://www.pprune.org/members/431649-mgclements),

It's your SEP rating that has expired, your licence is still valid & is now an EASA (A for aeroplane) licence. You can add a TMG rating to it by doing training & a skill test but only at an RTF/ATO. AFAIK there's only a couple of places in the UK that can do that, both in the Oxford area.

The NPPL(SLMG) route will still be available for another 10 & a bit months, the great advantage of this is that you will be able to do it through your BGA club. Para 3.2(b) on p14 of this NPPL document explains what's required (http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk/NPPL%20XC%20REV%2011.pdf). An NPPL(SLMG) earned before 8 April '15 can be added to your PPL(A) licence as a TMG rating provided that you meet the requirements for the issue of a PPL, which you will do by virtue of your JAR SEP training. Section 4 Part P Page 14 (p514) of CAP804 explains (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAA_CAP%20804.pdf).

The other route is to do the necessary to get an EASA (S for sailplane) licence & add TMG privileges to it. You can fly TMGs & even add a tow rating to an EASA (S) licence.

Whopity
29th May 2014, 20:33
No wonder people are confused with all the possible options. As you alleady have a licence, then its far easier to renew that, than mess about gaining other licences. To renew the licence you will need a valid Class rating, this has to be done at an ATO. A few hours training followed by a "Proficiency Check" (No such thing as a mini skills test!) You could do that in either a TMG or an SEP, or both, once you have both valid, you can keep both classes valid by flying just one or both classes. As already stated there are only a few schools that can train for the TMG.

mgclements
28th Aug 2014, 22:00
Hi All,
Just to update you all. I did lots of enquiring and a couple of ATO's told me that I would need to retake my exams if I wanted to revalidate my licence. Luckily I found out I was misled and this is NOT the case.

I have now done a course of instruction at Conington (8 or so hours) which covers all aspects of the original training to get me ready for a skills test which is planned fore Monday (fingers crossed!). - the examiner informs me that the test will be about an hour with a very short nav segment (no diversion or matz pen) so hopefully straitforward.

Hopefully after monday I will have a shiney new EASA PPL so that I can go visit Wellsborne for some TMG training!