PDA

View Full Version : Misleading Advertising Griffith University Aviation

Flyboat North
26th May 2014, 04:08
Here is a gem from what appears to be pretty much their homepage:

Aviation - Griffith University (http://www.griffith.edu.au/science-aviation/aviation/what-can-i-study/aviation)

Quote:

"You’ll have the opportunity to take a cadetship with a highly regarded airline, such as Qantas or Cathay Pacific, which will provide you with a pathway into the industry. Details for each of the cadetships vary, and these should be discussed with the program convenor."

Qantas Cadetship: The last intakes into the QF cadetships were years ago. Pretty much ended with the GFC, although a handful entered in 2010 , a token number. There is no Qantas Cadetship , there is no Qantas Cadetship , there is no Qantas Cadetship.

Cathay Cadetship: the advanced Cathay cadetship was also closed about two years ago, and is still currently closed. When it was open anybody with an ICAO CPL and 250 hours could apply, whereas the PR blurb on the Griffith website attempts to claim they have some kind of "exclusive" arrangement with Cathay - again completely misleading. The Cathay cadetship is closed, the Cathay cadetship is closed.

This "Advertising" that Griffith have on their website is blatantly misleading , and is also likely deceptive. Likely a breach of the TPA.

What a spivvy outfit , blatantly plugging airline cadetships which closed years ago.

We know all the flying schools BS their potential customers, but really coming from a publicly funded University.

Griffith stop trying to "hook" potential students with blatant lies and falsehoods. It is unethical and also likely unlawful.

pilotchute
26th May 2014, 04:48
Whilst what you say isn't far off the mark, if you check the Qantas website it appears the course is still available. It's only in the last few paragraphs does it become clear that it is never going to open again.

Cathay is the same. It still lists the course as available but on long term hold.

I can guarantee when Cathay and Qantas remove these schemes from their websites Griffith will remove all links also. As for now the grossly misinformed masses who don't do any independent research may get burned.

If you don't check stuff yourself I don't pity you.

Dash8driver1312
26th May 2014, 05:04
The magic words are "such as," it doesn't exclusive state the above-mentioned carriers.

Caveat emptor.

Flyboat North
26th May 2014, 05:32
It is clearly referring to the Qantas & Cathay programs & both programs closed years back

What slimy deceptive conduct for a Public Australian University, they must be desperate for students

You expect blatant BS from Flying Schools "worst case mate you will be in a jet in five years", but if you have had any significant contact with Aust Universities ,you will know that this type of conduct in normal circumstances just doesn't happen

mikewil
26th May 2014, 05:44
Flyboat,

Is the major chip on your shoulder towards the entire aviation industry (particularly piston engined GA) a result of you being fooled by the misleading advertising of a university program such as this a number of years back?

Flyboat North
26th May 2014, 07:59
It is quite normal for agents/student recruiters whatever you want to call them to get paid a commission in Asian countries

Sure Unis want to get bums on seats , but generally Univ Faculties and Departments have been open & honest about job prospects for their grads

Here they are hawking the chance of cadetships with quite prestigious airlines , that Griffith know quite simply do not exist

TOUCH-AND-GO
26th May 2014, 08:06
We know all the flying schools BS their potential customers, but really coming from a publicly funded University.

I don't know which flying schools you're referring to Mr. Flyboat North. But I can assure you that the flight school I'm based at and quite a few others around the area don't like to bullsh*t our customers with such non sense.

:ok: T&G.

onetrack
26th May 2014, 09:11
Flyboat North - You're drawing a long bow here with your claims of misleading and deceptive conduct and Section 52 of the Trade Practices Act.

FYI - The TPA is an act to govern trade between businesses. As you're quite likely not a business, consumer law applies here, if you engage in a course with Griffiths University. Specifically, Queensland Consumer Law (Fair Trading).

Misleading or deceptive conduct : Department of Justice and Attorney-General (http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/misleading-deceptive-conduct.htm)

The TPA also encompasses only corporations and companies. I think it unlikely that a University is classed as a corporation or company under the law.

Then there's the fact that Griffiths is stating;
You’ll have the opportunity to take a cadetship with a highly regarded airline, such as Qantas or Cathay Pacific

This is not the same as declaring that taking an aviation course with Griffiths is a guarantee that you will obtain a cadetship.
The next part makes that clear;
Details for each of the cadetships vary, and these should be discussed with the program convenor

You will have a very hard time trying to bring a case of misleading and deceptive conduct against Griffith because Griffith make it clear that once your course is completed, they are not guaranteeing anything.
You would have to prove that Griffiths know that QF and CP cadetships are no longer available, full stop.

As the cadetships are provided by the airlines, Griffith have no control over them, are not likely to know when or if they're available, and they are not making any solid claims that you will definitely have a cadetship upon completion of your course.
By providing you with an aviation degree, Griffiths are merely stating they are assisting you with a leg-up into aviation, via recognised training levels.

Then there's the rider - "It is expected that demand for available places (with CP) will be highly competitive."

I don't see where you have a leg to stand on with your claims, unless you can prove that Griffith are stating that you will definitely have a job or cadetship in aviation upon completion of your degree.

Flyboat North
26th May 2014, 09:25
Well they do know the QF cadetship is closed because back in the day the Griffith were one of the two Unis that ran it. Clearly they would also know Cathay advanced has closed.

Companies breach the TPA all the time, they just rely on the fact that joe public doesn't have the funds/resources to launch Fed Court actions against them , or the time.

Companies whether they be banks , insurers , etc would get rolled all the times if people did take action

Unless you are a qualified lawyer with extensive practice in this area then your little tips probably aren't worth a whole lot

Lots of pilots like playing professor on legals

Hempy
26th May 2014, 10:35
Unless you are a qualified lawyer with extensive practice in this area then your little tips probably aren't worth a whole lot

Lots of pilots like playing professor on legals

Do tell us which Law School you graduated from Troll? You don't see the hypocrisy of what you have posted there?? :rolleyes:

Lawyers and pilots. Very clearly you are neither yet you seem to claim expertise in both fields. All you are is a very weird dude with Google...

kaz3g
26th May 2014, 11:33
FYI - The TPA is an act to govern trade between businesses. As you're quite likely not a business, consumer law applies here, if you engage in a course with Griffiths University. Specifically, Queensland Consumer Law (Fair Trading).

I don't have an extensive practice in the area but the TPA applies to corporations who engage in trade or commerce generally.

Some universities are undoubtedly corporations and some are not. In the latter event the Australian Consumer Law still applies.

It's all there in the schedules to the TPA amendment Act No.2 but it's not as exciting reading as "the Checkout" is viewing.

Kaz

onetrack
26th May 2014, 11:43
I can see Flyboat North is the same bloke who believed every single word and picture in the glossy holiday brochures for Majorca and Ibiza - and who is now going to sue the travel agent, because he didn't get laid every single night of his holiday, by a rampantly horny blonde 18 yr old, with huge knockers. :)

Flyboat, 48 yrs of running my own business, and employing up to 100 people at the one time, plus extensive dealings with the corporate world, gives me adequate nous to be able to hand out a bit of intelligent advice occasionally.

I'd suggest you're basically a very unhappy person with an inferiority complex, and you choose to boost your self esteem by running down an aviation college that contains vastly more skills and knowledge, than you're ever likely to possess.
If you have any intelligence at all, now is probably a good time to STFU before you get sued for slander or defamation.

LexAir
27th May 2014, 04:32
For those that are interested, the Trade Practices Act (TPA) has been replaced by the Competition and Consumer Act 2010.

50 50
27th May 2014, 05:13
This is the fourth or fifth Flyboat North threat I've seen, all whinging about the same thing. I believe the term Troll is a mispronunciation of the fishing term "trawl", as in, dragging a line through the water hoping for a bite.

WAC
27th May 2014, 05:18
50 50 is appropriate...you are half right! Lol
Trolling and trawling are BOTH fishing terms.
Trawling involves dragging a net catching all and sundry.
Trolling involves dragging a baited hook or lure hoping that a target will take the bait.
Number two is what is described on the net....but the results are often similar to number 1, with a lot of bycatch....;)

50 50
27th May 2014, 05:22
Well there you go. Good thing I don't profess to be a fisherman:-)
See FBN, there is always someone who knows more than you do. Perhaps you should listen.

kaz3g
27th May 2014, 10:27
For those that are interested, the Trade Practices Act (TPA) has been replaced by the Competition and Consumer Act 2010.

The TPA was actually renamed the CCA by the TPA Amendment No 2. See consumer law.gov.au and the amending Act.

At the same time the compass of the Act was significantly increased. The Australian Consumer Law is contained within Schedule 2 of the CCA and it contains many of the provisions that were previously set out in the old TPA as well as useful provisions taken from State and Territory Fair Trading Acts.

It is the ACL that provides us with remedies to deal with many of the simpler issues that occur in trade or commerce because it contains the general protections against misleading and deceptive conduct, unconscionable conduct and unfair terms. These apply to individuals and businesses engaged in trade or commerce. It also provides guarantees, including that goods are fit for purpose, are of acceptable quality and that services are carried out with reasonable care and skill, but these guarantees are mainly limited to "consumers" defined in the same terms as in s4B (?) of the TPA.

There was a neat cross-reference of provisions from the old to the new, but I'm dashed if I can find it tonight.

Kaz

LexAir
28th May 2014, 00:03
Kaz3g. Try looking in the LexisNexis Butterworths Australia publication "Annotated competition and Consumer Act 2010.
My copy is a little out of date (2012) but sec. [10,001] "Comparative Tables" is very useful.

kaz3g
28th May 2014, 08:21
Hi Lexair

Of course...thank you. I'm old and couldn't remember.

I do have an annotated copy of the CCA when everyone else I work with stops pinching it but as an area of law it's not my forte at all.

I'm a former crim lawyer trying to learn to be a generalist at a stage in my life where neurons are dying faster than I want to admit.

But I see there are whole new episodes of the Checkout coming soon so I still hope to become an expert:-)

Kaz

LexAir
30th May 2014, 04:21
Kaz. I know exactly how you feel. You could be describing me to a tee (ex the crime law bit)! We should catch up.

thorn bird
30th May 2014, 07:11
Well guys and Gals, regardless of the attempts by the uni's to attract students, everyone should perhaps take a deep breath and look at the aviation industry in Australia as a whole before squandering your own, or your parents hard earned money on an industry that is being regulated out of existence, or in some instances managed out of existence.

Aviation in Australia is finished, CAsA are busy putting the final nails in the coffin.

If you love aviation and are determined to be a part of it, Australia is not the place to be.

NZ is too small to have a large aviation industry so the job prospects are limited, but they are rapidly growing their industry because they have sensible regulations, their licenses and qualifications in both piloting and engineering are world recognized unlike Australia. NZ qualifications could provide a gateway to the world.